Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Mother's Love

Rubber Ducky

Dear Ella Numera Dos,

I understand you wish to be independent. Perhaps that's why you call so infrequently.

I understand you're a busy, busy college student. And that's why I don't hear from you as much as I used to.

I understand that you're not your Sister & that you're more like your Dad. Scandinavians are inner-self dwellers & emote infrequently. I get that, even though my kin hails from the Mediterannean & yacks all the time.

I understand that you're upset with your shoulder, that you wish you could get back in the pool, that Conference is coming up & you'll be on the deck managing & not making waves in the finals. I also hope this frustration isn't because I wanted you to swim, but because you want to be there your own self.

I understand that friends can't always be friends. That sometimes you just have to step away, and let them take the path they've chosen for themselves.

But I know a few things, too.

I know that you're a sweet, loving kid, even when you don't always show it.

I know that you're a talented, gifted artist. I see it every time you pick up a camera.

I know that you're a good friend & that you'll always be there for your amigos, even though they're not always there for you.

I know that you're a smarty pants & think you know everything. You get that from me. And you're right about that.

I know that I love you, even when you don't call. But I wish you would. Even just to say "Hi."

Oh, and a couple of other things.

I thought of you yesterday when I went for my walk, Outkast blaring "Hey Ya!" from my iPod. I think that's from your playlist, correctamundo? And I know you would've been pretty freaked out when I started Shakin' Like a Polaroid Picture, right out there, in public.

I save all your text messages. The ones that say "I Love You." I almost murdilized the Verizon Guy when I switched phones & he erased your text from the Spice Girls Concert. "I Love You Mama," was what it said, I think.

I wince quite a bit when you get a tatoo, but I understand why.

I just know you'll make it big someday, in anything you do. Dad & I are behind you, one hundred & ten percent!

I've been feeding Patchy a little extra every day. And guarding her dish, so Pepper won't get any fatter than she already is.

Just thought you should know that I love you more than words could ever say,

Moms

PS: I renewed your Netflix account yesterday. Thought that would make you smile.

31 comments:

quilly said...

Sweet.

Kimberly said...

That was such a sweet post! The photos are adorable.

被リンク said...

Sweet baby and happy mummy.

The mother's love is the most beautiful and glorious in the world!!!

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Great post! Made me smile!

Amy said...

Too early to get all misty-eyed.

You're both lucky to have each other.

Also, I hauled a bunch of stuff up here from my grandparents' basement, including the box containing the bracelets END used to snap on my wrist. Laughed a lot.

Emma said...

Aww! I never want Oli to grow up! :( I like him being a baby and depending on me so much!!

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'm with ya hun. I miss my "baby" more than words can say too.

knit1kids4 said...

What a sweet post that I could see writing in a few years...

Jayde said...

That is such a sweet post! Great job renewing Netflix! I absolutely LOVE Netflix and I'm not entirely sure how I got on before finding it. :) Have a great day, and I hope she calls.

Quasi Serendipita said...

What a heart-warming post :)

Allyson said...

Hmmm....this post reminds me a lot of the things Mom would write in emails to me while I was at college....especially when I was at my most moody with her. I hope she reads it and takes everything to heart. And I hope she realizes that she's a very lucky girl to have a mama like you.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

I looooove how you work a bit of a guilt trip in, even while expressing your deepest love. It's an art form you know. Not all of us are adept at it ;)

Great post - gave me warm fuzzies!

Helen McGinn said...

Aw, that was so lovely. I don't look forward to the day I have to write a similar letter though...but it's coming and soon! xx

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so sweet!

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

What a stinkin' cutie is that!
Lovely and sweet post!
hugs

Kristin said...

And now I'm crying. Seriously. I dread the day my baby leaves home. Hopefully I'll get over that...or I'll be dreading the next 16 or 17 yrs as he's currently 18 mos. Ah ha ha

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a great post! You are a great mom! Stopping by from SITS

Susie said...

I love the letters that are just because:-) Great post!

Ally said...

For some reason I'm all choked up. This was so sweet. She's lucky to have a nice mom like you. So many of my friends aren't close with their mothers. Very sweet.

Tracy P. said...

Good job mom. Hard when they need their space and you need to hug them. We get that in very small doses around here, but the day is coming...mine has my scandehuvian blood after all. Netflix just might be her love language, too.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Ahhwwwwhhhh! Now i have to go call my mom. Excuse me please!

{ Persis Shah } said...

this is truly touching!

Tortuga said...

Moms are awesome and you're one of the bestest. I totally agree with you on Moo's photography, I love going to her blog, it's so very cool to see her amazing pictures...even if today's made me very hungry.

Vodka Logic said...

I am taking notes as i read.

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

So, did she call?

Emily said...

This post is so sweet, but it kind of makes me sad. I don't like the reality of babies growing up and moving away. Hmmm...maybe I should go call *my* mom!

Sarah Ebner said...

This is an absolutely gorgeous - and truthful - post. I am a frequent visitor to your great blog, but have never commented before. I couldn't not comment on this one. I think, give me a decade, and this will be me.....

June Freaking Cleaver said...

That was the perfect mix of guilt, support, love and a wee bit of bribery at the end - you've used most of the tools in the Mother Toolkit here!

I know it's hard when our grownup children forget that they're still our children, and we need that connection - when they're off getting a life separate from us.

miss jo said...

Awwwwwwwwe. What a sweet post. Ella dos does love you I'm certain. Hope she surfaces soon. Didn't know her shoulder was still on the fritz. Aye Carumba !

MOO said...

thank you for writing this mama. i love you.

Rabia Sensei said...

I almost have tear on my eyes when I read your post. Your daughter remind me of myself. (Busy at work was always my no. 1 reason for not calling my mother and going home). Thank you very much for the post. Sometimes, we (as a children) need to be reminded; I should always call her.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin