Thursday, January 28, 2010

Beyond the Outer Limits


Off Limits

Do y'all see the irony in this? This is how I feel today, minus the bikini. So at the end of my rope that I just want to keep walking. Beyond the sign, thru the surf, 'til I run out of golden sand beach.

I feel a bitch coming on. Call it the End of the Semester Blues, if you will. In the past week, I have:

  • Seen more crap than a livestock arena on 2-for-1 Friday (Note to self: No more "analysis" papers on The Great Gatsby. Over-analyzed. All over the Web. Situation ripe for cheaters & lazy, wannabe romantics)
  • Administered way too many end-of-semester exercises. If I never see another vocab quiz, it will be too soon. No one knows~nor cares~the meaning of SAT words such as propinquity anyway, do they?
  • Caught one student plagiarizing. She didn't even try to disguise her ruse. Lifted it right off the Internet. Really badly written, too, bordering on crappy sap (see Bullet Number 1).
  • Caught two other students returning from a Bagel Bakery run. We're a closed campus. I'm required to bust them. Ruined their 4-day weekend (administrative referral, e-mails to angry parentals) & made me feel small.
  • Caught yet another student with her sassy, disrespectful mouth open. Wanted to slap that smart-ass grin right off her face. But I didn't. I value job security, such as it is.
  • Fielded a continuing flood of e-mails from concerned parentals, worried that Little Susie doesn't quite "get" English. Well, if she'd stop watching "Jersey Shore" on the Journalism Room computers, and would start doing her assignments, things would go a lot more smoothly, correctamundo?
  • Read a Gatsby paper written by a 16-year-old boy that featured the word iridescent. In the first paragraph (See Bullets 1 & 3). The First Sentence. Iridescent. Jeesh!
  • Hosted "make-up" parties in my room after school all week. Well, they weren't really soirĂ©es, per se. More like wakes (Note to self: Remember to tell the cherubs that if they skip on a test day, Mrs. Scribe will decidedly not be available for after-school help).
  • Shoved a badly written, terribly edited Yearbook deadline out the door. Oh, well.
  • Made plans to go to FLA for Spring Break with my youngest. Yes, there is a God. Somewhere.

Four months down; four more to go. I can do this. I just have to learn to set limits, oui?

25 comments:

Kimberly said...

Si! That sounds like a bad day for sure.

Keep pushing for that vacation. I am sure you and your daughter will have a great time! :)

Rhonda said...

Love the sign. I wish I had a camera when I was walking my dog to the store when we were camping (yes, I put store and camping in the same sentence) and tied him to a post on my way into the store. On my way out I noticed that there was a "No Dogs" sign on the post I tied him to.

Oops. lol

Linnea W said...

Perfect shot! I just started a new semester with my students, so I'm all fresh and ready to go! But I'm sure that feeling won't last. Hang in there!

Vodka Logic said...

I will so take that walk with you. Give me a call.

I hope your trip to FL is great. :)

Amy said...

Ooof. How many sick days do you have? Maybe you can flee the state before spring break.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice picture.

I could never be a teacher. I think the grind would be demoralizing.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

You are more than entitled to a "bitch" after that kind of week, my friend! Little buggers, eh?

Gatsby is done to death, but I bet you'll find an absolutely spectacular book for next time that won't be found anywhere on the internet for copying ;)

Hope you have a super trip down to FL - and that the weather cooperates for you!

Allyson said...

Sometimes...when I think about how all the women in my family are teachers and I must have been the milkman's because...really...why isn't that in my blood? I read stories like yours and remember that yes, I do love my sanity exactly as is...in tact. If kids from MY high school English classes managed to plagiarize (and yes, I just had too Google it because apparently I don't know how to spell it) with just a shelf full of Encyclopedias, then I can only imagine what the worldwide web has done for "creative writing." I'm not sure how you combat that...just know that Karma's a bitch and when they get out into the real world and accidentally plagiarize their boss's work from some internet site, the game is over.

Semesters...does that mean year-round school? In KY, this is that long dry-spell of holiday-less weeks before Spring Break.

Allyson said...

Oh holy hell...of all the times NOT to spellcheck my comments. Please ignore the use of "too" and the capitalization of "encyclopedias." It's Friday.

Heidi said...

I would love to join you for a walk on that beach, it is -20 here today, apparently feeling like -31 with the wind chill.

I hope you are having a better day today! It's nearly the weekend! :)

Shell said...

I read all this and think that I can never go back to the classroom. I did love teaching and was pretty darn good at it, if I do say so myself.

But, it's also so draining.

My own three boys are draining enough. I don't know that I'd have anything left if I went back to teaching.

Jayde said...

Sounds like a rough week! Hopefully it will get better.

Dalia (Generation X Mom) said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope your day is better today. Just think vacation!

Together We Save said...

Keeping thinking about your vacation and hopefully that will help you get through your day.

The Grown-Up Child said...

I think that high school teachers get a free pass into heaven for putting up with teenage crap for an entire career. Bless you dear woman! It will all be over (for at least a couple of months) soon! ;)

Hang in there! And thanks for visiting my blog last week!

Quasi Serendipita said...

The picture is wonderful, the list very familiar! Mum used to keep a list of "howlers" in the study where she marked essays - entertaining one liners that made her smile when faced with an endless pile of work to read through.

Nance said...

The internet is why I don't assign formal papers anymore. No one does them without "HELP." I only do in-class writes. And, all due respect to the other commenter: it's not that Gatsby, which is a wonderful American classic that I and my students love, has been "done to death." It's that many students don't want to put in the time and effort to read it and do their own work. They would Google another person's ideas and work on Harry Potter or Twilight, too. Hell, they'd crib a paper on Green Eggs & Ham if they thought it would free them up for more Twitface time.

I'm tired and frustrated, too. 28 years--2 to go, and it's not the same career it was even 5 years ago.

Tracie said...

I don't know how teachers do it. I am so very thankful for all of you.

PS We're going to FL for Spring Break too. We arrive at Disney March 27th.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

I am with you! This week has just been crazy. Coincidence that it is a full moon this week? I think not!

BTW - way to bust the plagiarizers. They need to figure that out now before they get to college where people actually get expelled for that stuff ...

Susie said...

Sounds like quite a nightmare:-(

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

my favorite end of semester sentence is the one I hear 5 minutes before the end of class on the day of the final...."what am I missing? can I make that up? I need a B in this class." (said by a kid with a 27%!!!!!)

erica said...

This post cracked me up... the one about Jersey Shore? Nice touch!

You've got a lot of patience!

dkzody said...

I hear you; I heart for you; and I'm all for running away.

apathy lounge said...

Another Texas teacher/blogger here. Used to teach middle school English. Now, I'm teaching 5th grade Reading. Cheating? Yes. Terrible writing? Yes. Have I lost IQ points since August? God, yes!

miss jo said...

After a week like that I'd be feeling a bit iridescent myself...Great you've got FLA with UNA to look forward.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin