Saturday, December 5, 2009

Yes, a Room with a View

A Room with a View


We are watching you.

For those of you who don’t know, the Journalism classroom is located in Rooms 215 and 218, on the back hallway overlooking the beloved senior parking lot. We produce this newspaper during fifth period, which also happens to be home to our school's three lunch periods. Our location provides us with a prime place to watch skippers.

After years of observing you from our perch, there are a few parking lot anecdotes that we would like to share with you.

Number one is tripping. You would not think it was as common as it actually is. We see five to six people a week trip over things. Sometimes it’s a rock, or some other piece of debris; but more often than not people simply trip over themselves. This tripping phenomenon keeps us quite entertained. So, next time you trip and think no one is watching, we want you to know there is an entire classroom of students laughing at your lack of coordination.

Another parking lot regular is dancing. We see dance-offs once a week or so and we can now predict when one is about to erupt as groups of students congregate.

Our favorite weekly pastime, however, is watching the loners, dancing their way to their cars, believing they are invisible.

We also take note of the food choices of the students at
Our Humble High School. Chipotle definitely comes in at number one. The infamous brown bag filled with tin-foil covered burritos graces the arms of most lunchtime skippers. Coming in at number two is McDonald's, most likely due to the proximity of the school itself. Bagel Bakery, Popeye’s and Starbucks follow close behind.

And we have seen countless people hide behind cars as the security golf carts round the corner. We watch you inch around your car, hoping to stay out of site and not get caught. But we love it when you do get caught. We always see it coming. It’s like a car wreck that can’t be prevented. We know it’s going to happen and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

The best parking lot view, however, is the hammock-hangers. Every once in a while, a group of students hangs a hammock between their cars and just chills out after school. We want you to know, hammock-hangers, that on days when we have a deadline, and nothing is getting done, watching you swing in your hammocks makes it all a little better.

We journalistas get much enjoyment out of watching the “regulars” every 5th period class as we write our stories and lay out newspaper pages. But just know, next time you trip, dance, skip, or hang a hammock, we are watching you.

31 comments:

gaelikaa said...

One of our neighbours was walking his dog. The dog fell in a ditch and he had to get in and drag it out, ass first! He didn't know that he was being watched by a vanload of schoolgirls including my two daughters, who could not help laughting at his predicament.. He was mortified to learn of this afterwards....

quilly said...

Great. As if I'm not already paranoid enough!

Vodka Logic said...

I suppose it h appens everywhere. I am going to started being more careful xx

good one

Susie said...

That's pretty funny!!

singedwingangel said...

lmbo nothing like reminding the "clicks" of school that they are not impervious to blackmail photos .. Loved it..

Karen MEG said...

What great perspective - and a fantastic picture! Too funny - rather "big brother-ish" too!

Thanks for stopping by my blog via SITS FB day!

Tara R. said...

That is hilarious. I would have loved to have seen an accompanying pictorial.

TeachJ said...

I think you should jam to the GEICO song, Somebody's Watching You. http://www.geico.com/about/commercials/music/kash/

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

I LOVE that you do this!

Thanks for sharing ;)

Quasi Serendipita said...

This really made me laugh. It reminds me of one of my mother's school stories - from her desk in her classroom she could see one of the "back doors" to the school. The time it took anyone sneaking in to get through that door and into the corridor was the same time it took my mum to get out of her classroom and meet them. Somehow, the kids were always surprised! (Btw, I have some bling on my blog for you to collect Mrs S!)

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

A room with a view
is a mighty fine place to
keep an eye on you!

My Six Words

miss jo said...

Glad to hear a dance break is part of the skipping ritual...OHHS should serve burritos.

Karen said...

that's quite funny. Next time I trip or find myselft doing something funny I will be looking all around to see if I am being watched. THough I am also the person who will probably looking and laughing too.

Karen

Sarah said...

the rear window...the remake version.

Dr.John said...

Depends on the view, of course.
(Six word response to six words for the day)

mama-face said...

OH, I thought the trippers meant something else.

All of these stories remind of my daughter's senior year (last year); she always had an update on the school parking lot. Have you ever seen someone eat pizza that they FOUND in the parking lot? NOT my daughter...her friend.

Emma said...

Don't these people realize there are windows so if they cut class they'll be seen? Watching them hide from the security must be hilarious!

Hanneke Nelson said...

"Somebody is watching me" is the Geico song? Boy, do I feel old now. For me, it's the song by Michael Jackson's cousin..., no idea what his name is.

Thanks for popping in at North Woods Adventures!

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

This was hilarious.

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

love this!

Kristin said...

Can't say I ever caught anyone dancing before, but I sure would like to!

Fruitful Vine2 said...

That is so cool. I love that article. I could just picture what was written as I read it.

Have a great Sunday.

blueviolet said...

The tripping is hilarious! Unless of course, it's you that's tripping.

:)

Noelle said...

what you think you do
in private is really for the eyes
of the world to watch.

it's been a few years since i've done any haiku...since high school, anyway. what's my grade?

kys said...

So all those times I've tripped over my own feet, someone actually saw me. Thanks a lot.

Cara and Jenn said...

that's so funny...you only realize the whole world may be watching you when you do trip in public...Happy Sits day! We loved your blog anyway!! Congrats!
Cara

Anali said...

LOL! This is priceless! I've tripped over myself quite a few times unfortunately and always quickly look to see who's around. I never thought of the people watching that I can't see. Eeek! ; )

Oh, I'm here from SITS! Have a happy day!

saltsays said...

I love it!

Fantastic blog!

Kim Living Life said...

Hi from sits!!!!!! Thought I'd leave a comment here rather than join the hundreds of others on your actual sits day post, like to be individual I do!!! Our kids can only drive here during their last year of school, no licenses till 16.5yrs here and then that's with a licensed driver only. No car park antics therefore what a shame.

Alexandra said...

Hey there!
I'm visiting from SITS.
I'm LOLing here. You're really funny, missy!

And what I wouldn't give to lay in a hammock right now. Preferably somewhere warm, like Hawaii...

Call Me Cate said...

I love having a view like that. Great article!

Thanks for playing 6WS!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin