Monday, December 21, 2009

That's a Wrap!

Wrap It Up

Much like the flotsam & jetsam I find when I visit the OBX, today's post is a collection of odds & ends. Or, as I prefer to categorize it, a nod to the extraneous in all of our lives.

~~~~~~

Found this seasonal ornamentation yesterday, tossed up on the shore with the seaweed, broken glass & gobs of plastic that pollutes our part of the world. I'm only one person, but I try to do my part by tidying up my local sandy environs. So, while I did pick up the styrofoam, Gatorade bottles of all permutations & what seemed like hundreds of plastic bottlecaps, I let this festive bow remain. Was that wrong of me?

~~~~~~

I've spent the last couple of days baking. And baking. And baking some more. At last count, 130 sandbakkels (Norwegian sugar cookies) & 85 sugar cookies of the more conventional variety. And, no, I didn't snack on said Christmas goodies. Saving those yummies for My Peeps, who should all be gathered under one roof by Wednesday. I've been dipping into my stash of Ben & Jerry's, instead.

~~~~~~

Looks like I've successfully avoided that nasty "Christmas Shoes" seasonal tuneage this year. Although I have to say that I've heard more than my share of Madonna attempting to sing "Santa Baby." Ugghhhhh....

~~~~~~

Learned late Sunday that Superintendent Man closed the schools in our district this week (the Monday thru Wednesday we were supposed to attend before break) because of snow. The good news about that, then, is that I don't have to take these 3 days as leave. The bad news, of course, is that if we get any more snow, we'll be going to school through next August...my district's penchant for making up snow days can be so annoying!

~~~~~~

The Green Bay Packers lost to the Steelers yesterday by one friggin' point. I don't want to discuss it.

~~~~~~

Speaking of winning & losing, I've decided I don't have the mettle to compete. For the second year in a row, I captured second place in the Edublog Awards. Ah, well. I'm getting better, though~last year, I lost by 9 votes. This year, I settled for 2nd due to an 8-vote deficit. What was it that George Jefferson used to say? I'm movin' on up...

~~~~~~

And, no, I'm not a sore loser. Please drop by Two Writing Teachers to congratulate them. Cool Cat Teacher, too. She came in close on my heels. And thanks to all of y'all who cared enought to click for me. In fact, you have one more chance. Mrs. Scribe is nominated this year in the 2009 Blogger's Choice Awards....

~~~~~~

One more thing. Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" totally RAWKS. Reject all imitations. And, yes, Lady GaGa has a Christmas anthem, too. Sorry if I offend, but this is too much to pass up...


18 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I pick up litter when I can too, specially from the beach - I can understand why you'd leave that ribbon though, it does look pretty...

Vodka Logic said...

I think it is great you try to keep your beach clean. And no worries on the bow I am sure if it is still there next time you will pick it...after the holidays of course.

Quasi Serendipita said...

That picture is great. Heading over to blogger's choice...

Amy said...

I've only heard "Christmas Shoes" once, when Tyler and Kyle did it on Elliot in the Morning, where it's thus hilarious instead of teeth-grinding.

While you may be saddened in your beach situation, know that the city of Pittsburgh will finally stop moping around. And, for that, I thank you.

Happy beach time!

Jayde said...

Sorry to hear that you took 2nd place. I did go vote, because I love your blog, but didn't realize until after the voting stopped that I could vote more than once. Have a Merry Christmas!

Tracy P. said...

Way to put a bow on it, Melissa! Sandbakkels--wow! My mom and grandma did those. Once, if I remember correctly. :-)

Happy baking!

And yeah, football? What's that?

ann ominous said...

A) love the found art on your beach...that's just fun. i would have left it too
B) i HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE that christmas shoes song
C) this version is slightly better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2vjPGkPZi8

Katie said...

I had to go find out how to make those sandbakkels - I've never heard of them before, but I'm mostly of Norwegian heritage, so I feel it's my obligation to make some now! ;) Did you use a mold or just make them like regular cookies?

Sorry to hear about the Packers' loss - we root for them by association - Jordy Nelson is a K-Stater and we're BIG KSU fans! :)

Allyson said...

Your random thoughts were perfect for my scattered brain today - 4 days before Christmas. Some beach time sounds like just what the doctor ordered! And I think the bow looks perfect just where it is. The beach: our gift from God. Who needs a Lexus anyway? Congats on moving on up, sorry it wasn't to the winning spot. I didn't realize you could vote more than once, either. I'm sorry about that - I am horrible at following directions. But I'm off to Blogger's Choice now...

Tortuga said...

Heya Scribe! I totally agree with your other commenters. The bow is a nice holiday touch and since you do your part, leaving it is ok for now. I try to clean up litter too. I also detest the shoes song, it's far too depressing for this time of year, I wish someone would yank it off the air. I have started to hear it once thus far and promptly changed the station for 4 minutes. The video was interesting, I admit I haven't watched/heard any of her stuff and now I can kinda see why. To each his own, eh?

Susie said...

That is some wonderful randomness you have going on here today:-)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ohmygosh, she's NUTZ!!! Performers are getting raunchier by the minute it seems!

Anywho, I am married to a Packer fan, so he's commiserating with you!

Can I have some cookies???

Working Mommy said...

Making up school days stinks - but a least no school this week - YAY! We can pray for no more snow later :)

~WM

Fierce said...

Second is something, and what's important is that all your followers think you're awesome!!! Who needs a couple of votes when you got us??!!
The cookie thingies sound delicious, too bad I don't bake, that would have been a nice Christmas treat. And you gave the beach some Christmas cheer! :)
xoxo

Lisa said...

Okay, I'm impressed that you can do ALL that baking and not have ONE little cookie. I wouldn't have the strength or self control. I can definitely learn a thing or two from you!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Christi said...

Glad to know so many others are cleaning up their beaches too. I used to collect agates and beach glass, but now my beach walks include a large garbage sack and I try to pick up as much plastic debris as I can cary. Sadly theres always more than I can.

miss jo said...

You are the sandbakkel and sugar cookie queen.....Congrats on you 2nd Place Eddie !

Sandy said...

Wow, that's a lot of baking. Send a plate over here, they sound luscious.

And am I the only one who doesn't get Lady GaGa??

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin