Thursday, November 5, 2009

Punt, Pass...Or Throw

Kids, Don't Try This at Home!

Today I tackled Mama Kat's Prompt #2: Tell Me Your Most Humorous Wedding Experience.

I was young. I was foolish. I was plastered.

Well, not until midway thru the reception, anyway. But the highlight of that blowout par-TAY at my folks' East Dallas home wasn't the larapin, 3-tiered cake with buttercream icing. Not the cool Western hats Mr. Fairway purchased for his groomsmen at a store in the Fort Worth Stockyards. Nor the luscious Spanish Paella my Aunt whipped up for those who lingered longest.

The centerpiece of the celebration involved the bouquet...or lack thereof.

First off, I need to explain that the union of Mrs. Scribe & Mr. Fairway was planned to the Nth Degree. That's Scribe-speak for a whole heckuva lot of lists, bickering & endless, unnecessary worry.

And what happens when all that organization goes awry? When the best-laid plans slant slightly askew?

You punt. Pass. Or throw.

The church was lovely. Festooned with flowers, crammed with friends & family in a cacophonous array of goodwill & glad tidings. All we could have expected, and, to insert a little ol' cliche here (this is a wedding post, after all), more.

The "homey" reception Mom planned for her 1920's-era abode, however, featured a more impromptu vibe.

The guys Daddy hired to serve champagne didn't show. So Dear Old Dad enlisted my cousin, and, presto! Waiters, who didn't charge by the hour & even had their own tuxes.

The backyard, which Daddy had painstakingly nurtured all Spring (Dallas is not known for lush vegetation), was pretty much a backwater swamp after 2 solid weeks of uncharacteristic rain. So the overflow crowd had to congregate either inside, or on the front lawn.

Well, we made do.

My BIL, at some point, commandeered a bottle of champagne. My Lil' Sis, as I recall, did the same.

And after that, the memory of the best party I ever attended goes a little fuzzy, if you know what I mean...Let's just say the Bride couldn't find her bouquet. So I tried to throw my Maid of Honor, instead.

I do have photographic evidence. Drunk with Happiness? Try Drunk as a Skunk...

31 comments:

the ungourmet said...

Sounds like a good time to me! :D

My first wedding (at 19) was all about Miami Vice. The groomsmen wore these God awful Miami Vice collection tuxes. Yikes!

Alicia said...

hahahaaaa! that's awesome!! so did anyone catch her?

Cairo Typ0 said...

Any party where you play toss the maid of honour sounds like a winner to me!

quilly said...

I thought throwing the bridesmaid was an old and time honored tradition. No?

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I'm cracking up at throwing your maid of honor!

Stitch 'N Love said...

It's all about making due, isn't it? Great story! Have a great SITS day!

Amy said...

Ha! I'll have to keep that one in mind.

When did I become my Mom said...

I love it! Sounds like your family has their priorities right. :-)

We are such kindred spirits - I wrote about my wedding too. Well I should say "wedding". You'll see!

elasticwaistbands said...

hopefully, the marriage is still intact. sounds like things could only go up from there...

too funny! thanks for sharing!

Kaibee said...

LOL, Funny! :)
Great story! :)

blueviolet said...

LOL, that is funny! Great story!

Kristin said...

I have to say...been there...and it wasn't pretty. ah ha

brainella said...

Oh yeah...weddings. LOL. All's well that ends well!

Sarah said...

looks like people in the 20s know how to have fun. love that lacey dress too.

Tammy Howard said...

What a fun pic and an even more fun story!

Now when you catch the bridesmaid - does that mean you'll be the next to get - plastered?

Susie said...

Oh my gosh!! Been there....done that...bought the hangover:-)

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds like the best wedding ever!! And I got married at a bbq restaurant!

kys said...

That was a good one! Did anyone get hurt?

marfmom said...

Hahaha sounds like fun!

Lucy said...

At least yours was a good time! Mine was a TMI: Thursday post for an embarrasing moment but I had a person in tears and my mother mad at me.

Dr.John said...

Today it is funny. The day after I'm not so sure.
Peace be with you.

Aunt Julie said...

Where was I when all that was going on? I don't remember it!
Do remember Count Basie playing in the hotel bar where we were staying the night before the wedding! And I LOVE the wedding photo with the cowboy hats!

Brian, the old man said...

That's hilarious. All weddings have their problems that's what makes them a wedding. Ours was the photography. There were very few prints which came out well. Such is life. Have a great weekend.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mellisa: You really have to be careful when writing these funnies. Glad you had a good time.

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

lol! too funny!!

melissa you crack me up..

Carletta said...

Enjoyed the story and the vintage photo is priceless!

mama-face said...

The styles seem to be very similar to my memories. (I chose the same prompt.)

It sounds like you had great parents who did get involved in your planning! :)

Helen McGinn said...

Loving the photo...how far did she get?

Miss Jo said...

Indeed, it was a great party. So glad you didn't drop me (or did you ? can't recall !). Dad's planting fast-growing Kentucky Fescue in the saved the back-yard view, as did his coaxing the neighbors to cover junk spilling out of their garage....I always liked the part of Ruthie's mom hooking up with the piano player from the reception....

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

That's funny you lost your bouquet. I had two, one to keep and one to throw.

prashant said...

that's awesome!! so did anyone catch her? Work From Home

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin