Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Power of Pie

The Power of Pie


My Nana, a sturdy, giving woman who originally hailed from Demopolis, Alabama, sincerely believed in the restorative qualities of a home-cooked meal. Nana cooked Southern. That always meant lard, which is probably one of the reasons my Daddy's Mama died at the relatively youngish age of 78. Hardening of the arteries, the doctor said. Lard will do that to a body.


But Nana also baked Southern, too, and her specialty was pies. If anyone she knew was in a world of hurt, she'd "whip up a pie." In my childhood estimation of the world & its wonders, a pie always equalled getting better.


I've been carrying on my Nana's legacy the last couple of months. When we found out that our friend Carmen faced a longterm battle with breast cancer, I knew just what to do. I baked her a pie, of course

That first one, back in September, was of the blueberry variety, a recipe acquired from my SIL. Fresh blueberries, sugar, cinammon & a secret ingredient, all shoveled into a Pillsbury crust, baked & delivered to Carmen's kitchen counter.


The next was a yummy concoction that originated with the Silver Palate chicas. Apple in origin, this pie was a veritable, delicious mess, as its contents burbled & bubbled and overflowed my extra-deep pie plate. I haven't been able to get all of the caramelized apples scraped off the bottom of my oven yet, but I know that particular pie was a hit with Carmen y familia. How do I know this? Got the pie plate back the next day.


Carmen had successful surgery, with a decent prognosis, and was still recovering when she learned that something might be amiss with her lymph nodes. The surgeon suggested going back in, just in case. I suggested a banana cream pie, & delivered said creation to her doorstep two days after she again returned from the hospital.


Carmencita (her Madre hails from Peru; even though Carmen's a grown woman, she's known by the Spanish diminutive of her name) called a couple of nites ago. She got the word on her pathology. There was a catch in her voice when she told me the news.


Tests on the lymph nodes came back negative. Benign. Nuthin'. Nada. Nil. I'm thinkin' a Pumpkin Pie might be in order soon, as a way of celebration. Considering the holidays are on the horizon & all.


I've always been a "glass half-full" kinda gal. I also believe in prayer & the power of positive thinking.


And pie.

28 comments:

Shawn said...

Ohhhhhh, how I LOVE pie!! My favorite is berry pie---Marie Callenders---and homemade pumpkin!

Wish I lived close to you, so you could make me one of your amazing pies....

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

mmm....pie.

that graphic is hilarious, by the way.

Vodka Logic said...

Pumpkin for me too or perhaps a lemon merange. Have I told you I haven't been feeling well...lol

Lauren said...

How wonderful! I'm so impressed at your magical pie's abilities!

PS - if you get the chance sometime, try a huckleberry pie. It'll knock your socks off. ;)

Thanks for stopping by!

Farmers Wife said...

Mmmm....pie!!!! Making me hungry! Visiting from mama kats!

Tracy P. said...

Awesome post! Couldn't have anything to do with the power of friendship as well, could it? ;-)

At first I thought she had a catch in her throat because she thought if she got well there wouldn't be any more pies. Glad she was wrong about that. Hooray for Carmen!!

Susie said...

I love the idea of pie healing! I am glad that her prognosis was good:-)

Noelle said...

uh, (cough, cough) that pie sure sounds (achoooooooo) good right about now. (cough, cough)

strawberry, please. ;)

Cairo Typ0 said...

I haven't been feeling too well lately. *cough* I think i'm coming down with something awful. *cough*

I wish i knew something that would make me feel better. *coughpiecough*

:D

The Blonde Duck said...

I am in full agreement with you. My goal in life is to become a pie lady when I grow up.

When did I become my Mom said...

I love pie. Looooove pie. apple and pecan... and pumpkin.... just so you know. (you know, for when I visit and stuff.)
:-)

Stephanie Faris said...

That's awesome news. Some comedian said in the south there was a spreadsheet of food vs. occasion. If someone dies, it's a cake. If someone's in the hospital, banana pudding. It's funny because it's true...when my boyfriend's stepdad died, I couldn't believe the food people brought over.

marfmom said...

I love pie! And what great news for your friend! I haven't basked pies in years but I'm coincidentally about to try to make a few pumpkin ones this afternoon for some friends.

blueviolet said...

You bake the magic! Food for the soul!

Mayhem and Moxie said...

You are definitely my kind of gal. Anyone who understands the power of pie is a strong individual.

Say it with me, "healed by the power of pie." You might even want to patent that one. :)

Lucy said...

I am glad your friend is doing well and now I am dying for pie. Bannana Cream Pie is one of my favorites!!

Amy said...

No veggies in my pie, please. (;

quilly said...

Amen & praise God -- and it may not have been the pies that made the difference but I bet the love baked into them did!

LadyStyx said...

That picture's got me craving pumpkin pie..... it's that time of year when all I want is that particular pie for dessert...

kys said...

My grandmother was a pie baker, too. (I think she used lard in the crust.) I think of her whenever I make or eat pie. Which is not often enough.

Buy Essay said...

Hello,
Pie are my favorite and I love eating an apple and pumpkin pie the most. I think its a great way to make children eat veges and fruits too. You have made mouth watered

Honey Mommy said...

I believe in the healing power of pie too. :o)

On my birthday I have pie instead of cake because it is SO much better!

Miss Jo said...

So great Carmen's well, and no doubt the banana cream pie (one of my favs) worked wonders. I inherited the P.I.E. gene too. No lard for me neither. Your post read like a slice of lemon chiffon :)

uka said...

Hi,
It’s an interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Custom Assignment

my said...

Hi,
Really interesting and informative article, keep posting. Nice work, thanks for such information.

Dissertation Service

Custom said...

Hi,

Nice info at this post thanks!!! I really like it.

Custom Essays

Custom Term Papers said...

Thank you very much for these tips.
Good post thanks for sharing.
I like this site ;)

jack said...

Hello,
Excellent post, I really enjoy reading this article, thank you so much for sharing it.

Custom Research Papers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin