Monday, November 2, 2009

Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

Packers in the Dog House


Have you met my friend Tracy? She lives in Minnesota & I'll bet she isn't gonna rub my nose in the ingominious dregs of defeat I'm feeling right now, just 'cause her Minnesota Vikings~aided by that old gunslinger, Brett Favre~so thoroughly trounced my Green Bay Packers yesterday afternoon.

I guess one could say that the Green Bay Packers are in the dog house~in this fan's eyes, anyway. It ended up being close. But close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades. I wonder who said that, anyway?

Since I'm out in Tracy's neck of the woods visiting My Peeps, I thought I'd share a yummy recipe that Lady T. shared with me. It's called Beer Cheese Soup & it will warm both your soul and your tummy on a cold winter nite. Perfect for reviving lagging spirits after a shellacking like my Packers received yestserday.

Tracy P.'s Beer Cheese Soup

1 stick of butter
1 cup flour
4 cans chicken broth
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 jar (15 oz.) Cheese Whiz
6 oz. beer
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup freeze-dried chives

Melt butter in pot. Add flour and cook on low heat for five minutes, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth gradually, while stirring to prevent lumps. Stir in whipping cream. Add Cheese Whiz and stir until melted and smooth. (Requires a little patience!) Add beer, Worcestershire sauce and chives, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring constantly. (Trust me when I say that if it starts boiling, it will foam up and over quicker than you can come up with a catchy colloquialism. Mark my words. Tracy says you can clean up while it cooks, but do NOT turn your back on it.) Garnish with popcorn and serve!


This just in! For the 2nd November in a row, Mrs. Scribe is participating in the National Blog Posting janx. The object is to publish every day. Looking forward to seeing all you bright-eyed & bushy-taled visitors thruout this 30-day stretch. Should be exciting. If you, too, want to join the campaign, please click on the little button above, and get writing!

31 comments:

HappyChyck said...

Thanks for reminding me about NaBloPoMo. I need a little pick-me-up, so I'm going to do it, too!

Vodka Logic said...

Close doesn't count except in horsehoes and handgrenades was originally said by someone who was sore at losing horseshoes and/or someone who almost got blown up...my guess anyway.

Not sure I can do thirty posts..and does that mean I have to read all thirty... lol..will try.xx

Betty Manousos:cutand-dry.blogspot.com said...

Thank you so much for passing by my blog.Please come back soon!:)

I am your new follower:)
Have a great time!

Helen McGinn said...

*LOL* LOVE the dog in the shirt...and is that....cheese...on it's head??

Cairo Typ0 said...

Another NaBloPoMo'er!! :)) Woo hoo! This is my second year too. :) We can do it!! :)

quilly said...

I always post every day! Sorry about your ignominious defeat. That soup sounds yummy. Ladle out a cupful for me, will you?

Yaya said...

Mmmm that soup sounds good!

Amy said...

Also, close enough for government work!

I signed up for NaBloPoMo, but we'll have to see if life gets in the way; I hope not!

knit1kids4 said...

OK... the sound does not sound good to me at all... is it? cheez whiz???

Sorry about your team. My team had a blow out game (Ohio State). Won 48-0.

Kaibee said...

Cute picture!
And good luck with NaBloPoMo!! I know you'll pull it off!! :)
Thanks for stopping by! :)

JennyMac said...

That dog is SUCH a good sport (wait...that sounds like a pun...sorry!) LOL.

That soup sounds mmmmmmmmmmm good.

Juggling Thoughts said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it :)

Let me know if you are ever interested in a new blog design, I would love to work with you one day!

www.finewire.blogspot.com
www.onefineblogdesign.blogspot.com

Veronica said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

That soup sounds yummy, we might just have to try it out :)

My Eagles walloped the Giants!

Tracy P. said...

Oh funny dog! Thanks for the shout Melissa. You're right, no nose-rubbing here. We were getting nervous in the third quarter!

Tammy Howard said...

Love ya, mean it, but when Mr. Favre was so loudly booed - well - I turned from neutral to full-on rooting for the Vikings...

blueviolet said...

Sorry your team got clobbered! I'm doing the NaBloPoMo challenge too! I did it for about 4 months last year and then got sidetracked.

I hope you're having fun on your vacation!

Susie said...

The soup looks really yummy!

Tater Tot Mom said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting!

I've never heard of NaBloPoMo. Sounds like fun! I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year so maybe I'll have to do NaBloPoMo next year. Is it just me or does it sound like I'm speaking a foreign language?!? :)

Alicia said...

oh my gosh that pup is so so so cute! and i have to admit...i'm a favre fan...i know!! i know!! i'm sorry...but i can't help it! HOWEVER, my team of choice is the colts....i hope we're still friends...

Kristin said...

The hubs is from Duluth and his whole fam are Vikings fanatics except for one sister. But it was an interesting night at the in-laws. Ah ha.

Tara R. said...

I made a Cheese Beer Soup I got from Veggie Mom last year. Football season seems to be the prefect time for a pot.

Good to see you're joining the NaBloPoMo madness. See you there!

Stephanie Faris said...

That sounds delicious. Good luck on your blog postings!

Noelle said...

the dog is adorable and that soup sounds divine. brett favre, tho, can eat crackers in my bed anytime and i don't even care if he played pop warner! lol. my hubby might not appreciate it too much but, hey, life's a bitch, right?

thanks for stopping by my blog!

http://elasticwaistbandsandcomfortableshoes.blogspot.com/

kys said...

Beer and cheese together? Sounds like my husband's dream recipe!

Dr.John said...

It could be worse. We could be Lion fans.

The Blonde Duck said...

Kudos for you for trying the NaBloPoMo!

rainywalker said...

TSS,
Horseshoes, hand grenades and Three Mile Island.
rainywalker

the ungourmet said...

I'll take a big bowl of that soup!

Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! :D

Proper Prim said...

OMG... he is soooooo cute...

stopping in from SITS... hope you have a terrific day...
Hugs Deb

Lucy said...

I am not huge into football but my family watches a lot of it and I did catch this little tidbit, sorry that your team lost and it was your old quarterback dishing it up. I can't wait to try that recipe, my family will love it!!!

Miss Jo said...

Brett Favre is great to watch. He's a real sports hero. He's making me become a football fan after all these years.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin