Monday, November 16, 2009

Green Bay Win Over Dallas No Small Potatoes

Tony Romo Goes Down

Green Bay crushed the Dallas Cowboys yesterday. The Superior Snap above was shot by Mark Hoffman of The Journal Sentinel Online, and it pretty much illustrates the ebb & flow of the Packers' season this year. It's either feast or famine, to mix metaphors a tad more.

In other words, a Green Bay win over Dallas, in a season where we also fell to the hapless Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is no small potatoes.

When my family gets in a snit over the Packers' ups & downs, or ins & outs, we turn to comfort foods. Think pork chops, covered in Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, or oven-roasted red potatoes. Here are recipes for both. I'm not claiming any gourmet awards with these dishes, but they do seem to do the trick with La Familia Scribe.

Mrs. Scribe's Pork Chops in Faux-Mushroom Gravy

Package of pork chop loins-about 4 will do

1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 large onion

2-3 tbps. olive oil

2 tsp. tarragon

salt & pepper to taste

Put your best cast-iron skillet on the stove, and turn the heat up to medium. Pour the olive oil into the skillet & heat for about 1 minute, making sure to cover the pan. Just as the oil starts to get hot, place the pork chops in the skillet & cook for about 5 minutes, 'til browned on one side. As the pork chops brown, sprinkle 1 tsp. tarragon on the uncooked side, then season with salt & pepper. Turn the pork chops and repeat with the remaining tarragon & the salt & pepper, to taste. Slice your onion & add the slices to the skillet, turning the pork chops and the onion slices, 'til everything's good and covered. Then add the can of undiluted mushroom soup. Turn the pork chops over a few more times; the onion slices should start to come apart, which is good. Get everything all stirred up, turn down the heat, & cover, simmering for about 1 hour. Warning: Don't cook the pork chops on high heat or they'll dry out!

Mrs. Scribe's Oven-Roasted Red Potatoes

Enough tiny red potatoes to serve 4 people

About 1/8-cup olive oil

Salt & pepper to taste

Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. While the oven's getting hot, clean and quarter the potatoes and place them on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Not too much~don't want your potatoes swimming in grease! Season with salt & pepper. When the oven reaches 425 F, place the cookie sheet with the potatoes on the bottom rack. Roast about 45 minutes, turning a couple of times so the potatoes don't stick. When you can stick a fork in them, remove from the oven and place in a serving dish. Tell your guests to sprinkle their potatoes liberally with parmesan cheese. Just delish!

13 comments:

Feeling Fit With Dana said...

I know how you feel about your team. My team (KC Chiefs) are struggling this year. It's not as enjoyable when you are losing all the time, but we won yesterday :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Parenthood For Me said...

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you or anyone you know is interested in learning more about my non profit, Parenthood for Me.org please pass on the link. We need help spreading the word. We are also on Facebook.
TY- Erica

Tammy Howard said...

ANYday that ANYone crushes the Cowboys is a good day for me!

Angelia Sims said...

Well.......Congrats on the win!

That is tough for me to get out, darn cowboys!!

The company I used to work for was in Milwaukee and I can't help but like Green Bay. I really enjoyed visiting Wisconsin.

:-)

Thanks for the comment SITSta! Enjoyed hearing for you. Great post on your win! (this time)

Cairo Typ0 said...

I'm with Tammy, anyone who beats the Cowboys is ok in my book! :)

Vodka Logic said...

Grr football. My NE Patriots got beat by the Colts in the last seconds of the game. My friends from Indy won't let me forget it either....

Congrats on the win.

Aimee @ Ain't Yo Mama's Blog said...

I don't watch football, but I think I would enjoy your recipes anyways! Those potatoes sound great!

-Aimee

Patrice S. said...

Uhh! I wish I liked the Sport slike u do but the food sounds delish! Invite me over!

kys said...

I would rather eat pork chops than watch sports any day. (Congrats on the win though.)

Susie said...

I know!! They win against those they shouldn't and lose against those we should have beaten twice over. It makes me hungry just thinking about it:-)

Shawn said...

Yummy----makes me hungry! And when do you find the time to follow sports? You are amazing!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Stoopid Cowboys.......

My hubbie loves them Packer Peeps too.

Goooooooo Vikings!!!!!!!!!!

Miss Jo said...

Yummmm....Go Packers !....Although this weekend I'm saying, Go 49rs....As a reluctant, but newly enthusiastic football fan, I'm so conflicted. I think that's why all these years, even as a Texan, I'm just in it for the food. Great "receipt!"

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin