Monday, November 30, 2009

Beyond Thanksgiving...Butt I'm Thankful for So Much!


NYC & The Naked Cowboy

Thought I'd do a Thanksgiving Roundup, of sorts, since I'm thankful for so much these days...

First off, I'm thankful that I found the above Superior Snap, just in time for the I *Heart* Faces We *Heart* Tooshies Contest. Pictured above are Ella Numera Dos & Robert John Burke, also known in NYC as The Naked Cowboy. Yes, the young man earns in the 6 figures every year, posing in almost the all-together at the intersection of Broadway & 7th Avenue. In all kinds of weather, I might add. Although we lucked out with a sunny day for the taking of this shot, temps hovered in the 60s. TNC says he wears double tighty-whities on days if it gets much cooler than this. BTW...You put the tips in his boots, ladies!

I'm thankful that the entire totality of La Familia Scribe was able to gather around my Martha Stewart table for a Thanksgiving feast that couldn't be beat. Ella Dos will be hanging around a while longer. Her college cancelled the "stupid 2 weeks" between Turkey Day & Christmas Break in a cost-cutting move. Makes an awful lot of sense to moi. Ella Numera Una is back crackin' the books again, preparing to sit for her first-ever law school exams. Wish her luck!

I'm thankful that I had 4 whole days to relax & de-stress, without a pint of Ben & Jerry's in sight! Well, we did consume mass quantities of pie, but that's good for one's soul, correctamundo?

I'm thankful that the weather cooperated, & I was able to get out for a couple of long walks. I'm a "destination walker," so put on my ramblin' shoes & set out for a local coffee shop on Friday, thinking I had about 2 miles to go. Turns out I journeyed a total of 6 miles roundtrip, & was none the worse for it, so...I hiked up there again yesterday. Gotta melt that pie off my hips somehow...

I'm thankful that I was able to re-connect, if however briefly, with a whole herd of folks who were back for the Turkey Day weekend. Saw several of las amigas de mis chicas, just out and about~Jen on the bike path to town; Katherine in her beat-up old VW; Lauren hoofin' it up the hill. Shannon & Lesley came by for an extended layover Saturday nite. Always good to hear the laughter of children in the house, even though those youngun's are practically all growed up by now.

I'm thankful I got through the entire month of November w/o having a NaBloPoMo Meltdown. I generally post on a daily schedule, but when required to do so, there's just so much more pressure. Today's the last day of the challenge, though, & I can say the 11th Month has proven to be an unqualified success for Your Humble Scribe!

And finally, I'm thankful that the Turkey Day leftovers are slowly, but surely, receding from my fridge. And that I was able to wrangle a few good recipes for said leftovers. Now, Mr. Fairway doesn't really abide by spinach, but I think I'll surprise him with this little number, anyway. Wish me luck!

Crustless Turkey Quiche

Ingredients:

4 ounces cream cheese, cubed while cold, then softened
4 eggs, beaten
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup heavy cream
¼ tsp ground white pepper
½ tsp celery salt
½ tsp onion salt
9-oz. steamed spinach
½ cup grated parmigiano reggiano (divided)
1½ cups cooked turkey or chicken, cubed

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a mixer, food processor or with a hand mixer, mix together all the liquid ingredients, the pepper and the salts. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. In the meantime, steam the spinach for about 5 minutes, until it starts to wilt. Add the spinach to the liquid ingredients.

Turn into a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, saving out about a third of the Parmesan for garnish. Mix together gently until thoroughly incorporated.

Spread the mixture in a 9- to 10-inch pie plate. Sprinkle over with reserved Parmesan. Bake until quiche is set and the peaks are nicely brown, about 40 minutes.

Variation: If you want something more substantial, you could serve it in a store-bought crust (yay for Pillsbury!). Obviously, you'd then put the crust in a well-greased pie plate before you dump the rest of the ingredients in.

Enjoy!

32 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

I hope you win. This is SUCH a great picture. Oh my gosh. SO fantastic! I really don't think you can get a better behind picture than this. It is PERFECT in every way! Let's just hope the judge knows how the Naked Cowboy is and is a fan! Crossing fingers!

Vodka Logic said...

Funny picture. I didn't see when we were in NYC.. will have to look harder next time.

We went out for Thanksgiving so no leftovers... kinda miss them.

love lives in the kitchen said...

grat post and great recipe - i need to give it a try ;)
wish you a great day!
justyna

Emma said...

LOL, you met the naked cowboy! He is certainly one of NYC's landmarks (and this is coming from an ex-New Yorker).

The recipe looks really good, always nice to make a good (and tasty) use of the leftovers!

kys said...

You should win with that pic! Good luck to your kiddo on the law school exam.

It's The Young's Y'all said...

Ha! What a Great photo! I sooo want to put my hand on his tooshie too! lol!

Amy said...

Wait, so, like, that's it for the semester (for END)? I'm baffled by this. (And if it's not true, and I just can't read, let it be known that I'm only halfway through coffee cup the first.)

ninabakke said...

hahaha, funny! :D

blueviolet said...

Your weekend sounds just perfect!

I think all colleges should just wrap at Thanksgiving! However, neither of my kids are quite that lucky.

That picture of the booty grab in NYC is too much!

Lucy said...

Great picture. That guy is a trip and I often wonder if he thinks, "Gee, I just don't want to go out there today!"

Anyways, sounds like you had a great weekend and now off to the race of December!!!

Vodka Mom said...

I am making TURKEY soup as we speak!!!


I want to enjoy this last day of freedom.

Noelle said...

oooh, that's a great recipe...and (yay!) that should just about do it for leftovers!

what a great butt picture! i'll be entering the contest, too, but i don't have a naked cowboy...;(

Tiaras said...

totally hilarious shot!

Tara. said...

HAHAHAHA! That's great!!

Kristin said...

Thank you for the Monday laugh. I haven't seen the naked cowboy in forever. Priceless!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you win! I love that photo )and the quiche! However, I'm still giggling over your Thanksgiving limerick!

Christine aka Mistress of Cakes said...

Hello fellow SITSta! I need your help!

Could you vote for me in Iron Cupcake?

(I am campaigning for votes….because I put a lot of time and effort into this)

If there is anything I can do for you in the future don’t hesitate to ask!

Here is the link: http://mamanandgourmand.blogspot.com/2009/11/please-vote-for-me-iron-cupcake.html

Helen McGinn said...

Excellent picture. I like your thankful list, very cool. I'm just thankful to not be ill anymore! woohoo! xx

Susie said...

That looks like a good one! I did Turkey Tetrazzini, turkey cranberry omelets with fried thyme potatoes and turkey sandwiches. I put the last bit in my Mexican Chicken Stew today:-)

Becca said...

haha such a funny picture! :-)

Dr.John said...

Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving and days around it. Happy for you.

Kate said...

How could anyone read this post and not be thankful? Thank you for bringing a smile to my face!

Sarah Jones said...

Lovely photo!

Sarah said...

hey, i didn't see that guy when i was there. no fair!

tiff(threeringcircus) said...

Ooooh Ahhhhh! Very cheeky!

mooneyequalsmc2 said...

well this is hysterical and so appropriate for I HEART TOOSHIE entry!

Tezzie said...

Perfectly hilarious!

thatgirlblogs said...

that photo will keep me going all day. you'd better win!

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

in all kind of weathers?

that did me in!!

yep..only that...

he is so cute i might add..

miss jo said...

Great boot scootin' booty pix Ms. Scribe....Nice list of giving thanks as well...You're also almost ready for a long-distance running competition, provided there's a destination, of course :)

長島冰茶↗ said...

Dear friends: Ping!
I have a friend in Taiwan to engage in home living kitchen website, do not know if you can and into your blog link to each other, so that everyone sharing?
If you agree, then you can send a letter to inform me, please? Thank you very much!
The following is my website name and URL and E-mail, but also hope you can always visit my website ︿ ︿ Oh, I wish you peace and happiness every day!
Site Name:系統傢俱廚具
URL:http://www.cthome.com.tw
E-mail:ericpme0615@hotmail.com

sheela said...

coffee end tables
furniture coffee tables
furniture end tables
leather ottoman storage
livingroom coffee tables
livingroom end tables
ottomans torage
ottoman with storage
sofa end tables
coffee table furniture
coffee tables
end tables
glass coffee tables
head phones
dining room tables
ipod nano 3rd generation
ipod nano 8gb
oak tables
sofa tables

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin