Saturday, October 10, 2009

Yesterday's Lessons Were Just Da Bomb

Our Humble High School is Da Bomb!



BOMB THREATS MAKE

ME EXTREMELY UNEASY.

Our Humble High School was evacuated yesterday morning because of a bomb threat. Ever the Intrepid Scribe, I made sure to take a camera with me to the stadium, where they sent all 2,250-some-odd of us. Police surrounded the school with yellow crime-scene tape, & no one could come or go for about an hour-and-a-half.

Luckily, it was a beautiful day in the neighborhood ~ 85 degrees and sunny. Quite unseasonably lovely for October in the DC area.

Bomb-sniffing dogs searched every crevice of OHHS, and The Authorities surrounded OHHS with yellow crime-scene tape. Principal Man sounded the "All Clear" about 5 hours after our initial evacuation. We were all dismissed before that, though ~ about 11:30 a.m. ~ so got an early start on our long weekend.

The downside to this deal, however, is that a lot of kids & teachers left their stuff behind in the rush to get the hell out. This was my 3rd OHHS evac, so I knew to take my essentials. We evacuated pretty quickly, so Room 215 is a bit of a mess right now. I'll be up at school this morning to straight things up, hand over stray backpacks and give out missed assignments. Yes, a teacher's work is never done!

I got some Superior Snaps, one of which will run tomorrow in this space as part of my weekly Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. I failed to acquire a USB cord in the mad dash to get out of the building; I just added the above shot at 1:15 p.m. Saturday, after coming down to school & cleaning up the evacuation detrious. And, yes...even Mrs. Scribe was required to wear a dorky orange vest. By virtue of being one of the "adults" employed by OHHS, I was considered "in charge," for what that's worth.

My Intrepid Journalistas, but of course, were out in force during the evacuation, gathering info they'll need for a blockbuster story. They were pretty pumped that they could participate in some "breaking" news, for once.

The Big Question remains: My students were in the middle of a quiz when Principal Man ordered us out. My other class took the quiz the day before. Should I make the 4th-period kids take a makeup, or should I just render all scores null & void & move on?

This Question for the Ages is brought to you by Cate at ShowMyFace. 6-Word Saturday is her deal today.

28 comments:

LadyStyx said...

dang.

quilly said...

Oh my. Bomb threats would make me extremely uneasy, too!

Cairo Typ0 said...

On behalf of the students i vote render all grades null and void and skip this quiz. :)

Susie said...

We used to be evacuated for fire drills and tornado drills. Now we have to worry about bombs in our schools? What is the world coming to?

Laura said...

Happy Sits Saturday!!
Saved by the Bomb...null and void.

How sad these things are happening..this world just gets scarier by the minute..

maybe the nobel peace prize winner can scale back his grand illusion and stick to his own backyard..

Laura@ My Best Day Ever..
http://mybde.blogspot.com

Tara R. said...

Good to hear the threat was a false alarm, but what an exciting story for your Journalistas to follow. I would love to read their final article.

bluecottonmemory said...

You need to come over to my post. I am making Monday an unoffical moms day of Prayer against Violence in our Schools. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel on all these issues!

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'm sorry this happened at your school!! Very scary!

My vote is that everyone gets an "A" on the quiz! A little unexpected blessing is needed by everyone once in a while.

mama-face said...

I love how nonchalant you seem to be about 'another' bomb threat...although your 6 words are evidence to the contrary. :)

Who leaves a smiley face over a bomb threat? Well, me. It is funny that you took your camera on the way out. A truely blogger thing to do!

Amy said...

Any art projects left behind in the parking lot? (;

Melli said...

Oh yes! Bomb threats in this area are taken EVER SO SERIOUSLY!!! And I hated them when I was teaching! However... it is surely BEST to play along nicely... occasionally things DO happen... :(

Jim said...

Those who do the fake bomb threats will grow up to be Web Hackers.
I am sure of that. They are the same people who stuff the toilets full. All their acts are to disrupt people who would otherwise be carrying out as good citizens.
..
BTW, we have a Humble High School here too, just outside of Houston, Texas.
..

Vodka Mom said...

null and void.


you will totally be loved by all.

and, it's just a lot less work, right?

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

But you have to ask yourself... 'Did the person who called in the bomb threat just really not want to take a quiz that day?'

Hrmmmm... ;)

AudreyO said...

I would have the kids take a makeup test making sure they get the same study time etc.

As a mom if my child prepared for an exam and then was told "oh that A+ you got is null and void" I'd be upset.

Autumn said...

My high school had 5 bomb threats in three months time one year. They couldnt figure out who was doing it. Finally someone got smart and hit *69 after receiving the threat (a number that tells you what the last number who called you was. We didnt have caller ID then). Turns out the idiots making threats went to our school and were dumb enough to answer the phone when the cops called the number shortly after. This was right after the tragedy at Columbine High School so it really shook a lot of us up.
In light of that, I say toss the quiz, count it void. You can always give another one later.

Tara said...

I've never experienced this, but I would an extremely uneasy momma if this ever happened at our school.

Lindy said...

Oh the world we live in.....

Glad you are safe!

Vodka Logic said...

Null and void... scary shit. Sorry you had to go thru it.

Brian, the old man said...

That's sad especially since it's only October and you've had three already. I'm glad everyone is safe. Also, give all your classes the opportunity to take the quiz. Then let them drop their lowest quiz grade.

knit1kids4 said...

That would make me uneasy too!

Quiz- null and void!

Melissa B. said...

Just a quick clarification, y'all. That's 3 bomb threats in 15 years, not 3 this school year. OMG...one every 5 years is enough for moi!

Call Me Cate said...

How scary! Sounds like you stayed calm though. Glad it turned out to be a false alarm.

Thanks for playing 6WS!

Tammy Howard said...

Oh, they make me uneasy, too, no doubt! Sounds like you and your journalistas made lemonade from lemons, though...

HappyChyck said...

What an exciting day! Bummer for you, but probably boon for your little test takers. I'd just throw in the towel on that one!

Glad all was well!

blueviolet said...

Why people find it so entertaining to make bomb threats is beyond me. Once the initial scare was gone, I'll bet the kids thought it was a cool way to skip out on some class.

carma said...

I can't believe you ran out without taking your most essential USB cord :D

Miss Jo said...

I say, move on, or better yet, give everyone an A on the quiz, which will help everyone's average and give everyone a boost in the meantime....What a drag about the bomb scare. Scary too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin