Monday, October 26, 2009

A Recipe to Warm the Soul & Clear the Sinuses

The Snot Monster


Since the weather's turning toward winter & the Snot Monster tackled me about a week ago, I've been thinking of something soothing & spicy, to warm both the soul & clear out the sinuses. I whipped up a batch of Lost River Chili last night, which certainly did the trick.

This Mrs. Scribe "Original," as with most of my recipes, came from an amalgamation of several different sources. I perfected it one chilly October, when the world was very young; Mr. Fairway & I spent a week in an unheated, woodsy cabin at Lost River State Park in the mountains of West Virginia. Let's just say we needed more than snuggling to keep us warm!

And on a Tejana kind of note: Yes, I know...Texas chili isn't supposed to have beans. Whatever. I reckon this hybrid would represent in any chili cook-off in the Lone Star State.

Lost River Chili
1/2-lb. bacon
4.5 lbs. ground beef
2 onions
1 green pepper
2 cans Rotel-diced tomatoes & green chilis
1 package taco mix
6 tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. thyme
sprinkle each of oregano, black pepper
2+ cloves garlic, depending on your tastebuds
16 oz. (or 2 small cans) tomato sauce
2 cans pinto beans
1 tbs. cumin.
1 tsp. dried cilantro
1 beer

Cut up the bacon & start frying it up in the bottom of a deep chili pot. When the bacon looks about ready, add the ground beef gradually, so it can brown, too. In the meantime, cut up the veggies & add them to the pot, stirring the whole mixture up several times. Then add the canned goods and the spices. Stir everything together. Finally, add the beer (if you don't drink, don't worry; the alcohol burns off in the cooking process) and about 4 Rotel cans of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 3 hours. If you want to cook it longer, just keep adding water. But not too much...there's nothing worse than watery chili! Serve with chopped onions & shredded cheese on top, accompanied by a mean mess o' corn bread.

22 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

I am printing this out and making it Saturday.


you're the greatest.

Tara R. said...

Soups, stews and chili are some of my favorite things about fall. This recipe sounds delicious!

Tammy Howard said...

This sounds good! I LOVE chili and make a pot ALMOST every Sunday (nothing goes with football like chili)

Stephanie Faris said...

I didn't realize Texas chili wasn't supposed to have beans. I LOVE chili! I always have to have mine with Fritos, cheese, and sour cream.

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

That sounds so good.

I'ma bout ready to bust out the chilly receipe here too.

And learn to spell.

Vodka Logic said...

Sounds delicious, when can i come over and try it? lol

Kristin said...

Bacon is in it you say? I'm all over that!

Alicia said...

mmmm i'll have to try this!! i bet my hubs would LOVE it!

Cairo Typ0 said...

We always add beans to our chilli. I've never thought about adding bacon though... Like it!

The Blonde Duck said...

As a bred and born Texan, I declare this a fabulous Lone Star chili. It's so fabulous I'm making it. Immediately.

carma said...

I commend you for surviving a week in the "unheated woodsy cabin" - exactly the kinda thing my husband would talk me into!!

I'm a vegetarian so I'll need to make the bean version :D

Susie said...

That looks like it would warm the coolest body and soul:-)

blueviolet said...

I LIKE that recipe! I think it's something that might even rival my own chili!

Tracy P. said...

DANG! That is making my mouth water!! And since I don't drink, I can hardly ever use up a 6 pack of beer in a year's worth of Beer Cheese Soup (well, I COULD, but if I did I would be wearing it right around my middle), so I needed another recipe with the killer ingredient.

Dr.John said...

Being allergic to tomatoes this is not for me.

quilly said...

This sounds way yummy, but Amoeba would faint at the meat content. Easy to tell he's not from Texas.

LadyStyx said...

Sounds good. I would prbably leave the beans out for our consumption. Makes things rather ummmmm unbearable over here when I allow that man of mine to eat beans....

bluecottonmemory said...

I'm always looking for a good Chili recipe since I cannot seem to get it right. It sounds totally Fall Yum! I hope your sniffles get better. I always go for spicy hot chinese soup and egg roles with hot spicy mustard. That always tends tends to do the trick!

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

i need that...
looks really good..

Just Playin' said...

Sounds great! Must make a ton! I'm gonna try chili with bacon. Hope you are feeling better. I love teachers!!!

kys said...

Maybe this is what Hubs needs to clear his head.

Miss Jo said...

Now that I'm becoming a football fan, I'm going to have to make sports food. Hope this is five alarm.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin