Monday, October 12, 2009

Plumb Tuckered Out? Here's Pie in Your Eye!

Plumb Tuckered Out?

Meet Tucker. He's the Bichon Frise who belongs to my close friend, Carmen. Tucker's Mommy has breast cancer, & is recovering from surgery. That's where Mrs. Scribe comes in.

I've been trying to walk regularly. So why not walk the dog? Even though I'm a avowed Cat Woman & have an extreme aversion to picking up poop, I've been popping by Carmen's house several times a week to take Tucker for his evening constitutional.

As Carmen quite correctly pointed out when we started this janx a couple of weeks ago, Tucker's little. So his output is pretty much kitty-sized. ¡No problema, chica!

The little yapper & I have bonded. But I feel a little like a puppy moocher to come over empty-handed. So I've been baking for Carmen y familia. Specifically, pies.

I've tried 2 so far, & both have been hits. I'm sharing the recipe of the blueberry persuasion with y'all today, since for some strange reason, blueberries are still in season, even in October. This comes from my spectacular SIL, who is da bomb at all baked goods. I must confess, though ~ my crust comes from Pillsbury.

Aunt Julie's Blueberry Pie

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine in a bowl:

6 cups blueberries

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup flour

1 tbsp. cinammon

1/4 cup tapioca

Pour blueberry mixture into a prepared pie crust.

Top with a lattice-style crust.

Sprinkle crust with sugar.

Bake for 45 minutes ~ cover the top of the pie with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes.




Cairo Typ0 said...

Sounds tasty!! No shame in using Pillsbury's wonderful pie crusts. Homemade pastry is tough!

Vodka Logic said...

ymm yum. I don't bake often but bought crust are the only way to go.

Love the pooch and I am sure is mom is grateful for your h elp

Alice in Wonderland said...

That is great that you are helping your Mum! I'm a cat person too, and am just getting two new kittens at the end of the week, so I'm thinking up names for them!
Thanks for stopping by!
Love blueberries, but I've never used ready made pastry before.

Jennifer Juniper said...

Do you know I've never made a blueberry pie? I just realized it, I'll have to fix that :)

My dog makes kitty sized poos too, much easier to deal with!

Tammy Howard said...

I may have mentioned this before: I love pie.

knit1kids4 said...

That sounds so yummy! And how great of you to help a friend in need.

Tortuga said...

Ain't nothin wrong with a Pillsbury crust!

JennyMac said...

what a precious pic of that dog...plumb tuckered out looks spot on.

Raising Z said...

That is so sweet of you to take the dog for walks. The pie sounds delicious....I have been wanting a new recipe, I will have to try it :)

Susie said...

That looks sooooo yummy:-)

Yaya said...

I'm not a huge pie fan, but blueberry is a good one!

PS Thank you for stopping by on my special day!

Genny said...

I think it's sweet you are walking her dog. :)

I love blueberries and I love pie; this sounds delicious!

Children of the 90s said...

Blueberry pie, yum! I almost always use store-bought crusts, too--people can rarely tell the difference.

I love Bichons, too, they are adorable! It's nice of you to help out a friend.

elvira pajarola said...'s my favourite pie...!!!!!!!!!!
I do it like this too!!!!!!
so nice, to see you again in TUSCANY : oh, yes, ALL the pictures are mine; i just love to take fotos!
Even my 13- year old boy looks over my shoulder to see some pics of "your" "kids" !!!
have a nice evening!

carma said...

now if we only had more than 2 berries on our blueberry plants (per season, that is)

LadyStyx said...

We've got a Chi and her poops shouldnt be any bigger than the cat's... however, I don't think she got the memo on the proper sizing of said movements.

The Redhead Riter said...

So, the doggie walks you? LOL

Dr.John said...

What a great receipe.

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

that sure seems yummy..

quilly said...

Oh, this sounds wonderful. Tapioca! I am never using corn starch again! Thank you!

mama-face said...

I'll bake you a pie if you walk my dog. What a sweetheart you are to help your friend. Above and beyond.

kyslp said...

Oh how I love pie! (I never made homemade crust.)

Miss Jo said...

Pretty soon you'll be knitting Tucker a sweater ! Bichon Frise's are also default cats because their super cuddliness. I bet he's sharing some of his Vitamin T with his mommy. Hope she's feeling well.

blueviolet said...

Blueberry pie is one of my very favorites!

That's cute that you're out there walking the pup!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin