Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday Nite Football Heats Up

The Many Faces of Brett Favre

He was picked 33rd in the 1991 NFL draft. He spent 1 year with Atlanta, 16 with Green Bay, 1 with New York & is celebrating the sunset of his professional football career in Minnesota. He turns 40 in 5 days.

He took a turn at acting in the 1998 flick, "There's Something About Mary." Ben Stiller kept referring to the man as "Brett Faaahv-raaah."

He looks pretty hot in his Wrangler Jeans.

Tonite, quarterback Brett Favre has a couple of scores to settle. He retired from Green Bay, then tried to come back. But General Manager Ted Thompson had other ideas. So Brett flew the coop, and wintered in New York that season. He retired once more, then showed up on the Vikings' roster in August.

For those of you who don't know, there's major bad blood between the Pack & those Nordic numbskulls from across the Mississippi. So when the 2 teams clash this evening on Monday Nite Football, Brett will be focused on knocking the cheeseheads off the team he took to 2 Super Bowls.

Longtime Scribe readers know how I feel about the Green Bay Packers. Yup, we're cheeseheads from way back. So Mr. Fairway & I will have our own little tailgate in the family room. Mr. F., who hails from Chippewa Falls in the northwest corner of the State of Wisconsin, detests the Minnesota Vikings. I'm partial to the Packers myself, but being from Down South & all, don't have that natural-born hatred. Plus, I think Brett's kinda cute, don't you?

Whenever we tailgate, either at home or at the game, I whip up a mess o' bratwurst, but also give a nod to my Tejas roots, with salsa & chips. Here's a great recipe, from our local Mexican place. So think of us tonite, Scribe Fans. It's gonna be hot, no matter what the outcome!

Guapo's Salsa

4 to 5 jalapeño chili peppers, stemmed (if you prefer less heat, halve and remove the seeds)

1 quart tomato juice

2 medium white onions, chopped

2 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped

1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves

1 tablespoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1/4 cup to 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Place the jalapeño chili peppers in a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the tomato juice, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin and oil, stirring to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with tortilla chips.


Yeah, I'm Still Here... said...

Mmmmm, YUMMY!

Oh, yeah and the salsa looks great too! ;o)

elvira pajarola said...

Oh, my sons are looking at those footballplayers with great admiration!!!!
Italy's greatest favourite sport is soccer, you must know and football is really incredible for them!
thanks so much for que bella....I just loved it!
have a enjoying day!
ciao elvira

quilly said...

Okay, I probably shouldn't admit this so soon in our budding relationship, but I don't do football! However I do do salsa and that recipe sounds yummy!

Lisa in Oz said...

Ooooh this recipe is making my mouth water - I'm definitely going to give it a shot!

Fruitful Vine2 said...

I love salsa! Have a great day!

Amy said...

I always read these entries in the morning, and then I spend the rest of the day thinking about the recipe you posted.

Also, enjoy your B&S DVDs. Get tissues for a few episodes. (Guh, wish you were watching now because last night = cry, cry, cry.)

Tammy Howard said...

Lurve me some football (but can't always manage to stay awake past half-time for Monday night games...)

The Blonde Duck said...

You can't go wrong with chips, salsa and football. It's the Texan way.

Mom of Three said...

Party at your house! Enjoy Mrs Scribe.

Aunt Julie said...

Here, in the Shadow of Lambeau Field, the anticipation is building! Most fans want Brett to have a great game, just not quite great enough to win. Notice many of the players will be wearing pink shoes, in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Deanna Favre is a survivor. All in all, an emotion-packed game. GO PACK!

Tamela said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog on my SITS day...mmm that salsa looks good, but I don't know if I could handle the jalapenos!

Susan Berlien (warmchocmilk) said...

Yeah, I agree with quilly. I'm not into football either. Sorry. I like Hockey though..and Salsa. :)

love lives in the kitchen said...

oh this salsa seams to be sooo good!
have a great monday!

Children of the 90s said...

Yum! That sounds delicious. I'm from Minnesota and I'm a little bit sad I can't enjoy the game at home where rivalries will be running strong...I'll have to settle for watching it here by myself.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

I'm with Quilly - football does nothing for me. (Brett could though...!) The recipe sounds good though, will have to try it - sans seeds, because I don't like it when my mouth bursts into flame ;)

Enjoy your game!

P.S. thanks for commenting on my guest blog yesterday - ShaMoo's a card, isn't she?!

Nikki said...

Mmmmm that salsa recipe looks awesome!! My hubby likes it hot, I'll have to make that one for him:)

Genny said...

Sounds great! Yum.

My husband is looking forward to the game tonight!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm going to have to see if there's a book about butterflies being free.. or a song! :)

Dr.John said...

All Packer fans here.

Tara R. said...

I try to avoid all the Favre drama and just cheer for the Colts. Peyton! Peyton!

Have fun at your tailgate party, that salsa sounds great.

kyslp said...

I'm not into football but the salsa sounds wonderful.

mama-face said...

Oh garsh, I hate football...

but I love me some salsa.

blueviolet said...

I hope you're enjoying the game! And salsa!

Maricris Zen Mama said...

We're watching the game right now and I think he look fabulous! Go Favre!

Miss Jo said...

Love that Guapo's salsa....One step closer to me becoming an actual football fan this season. Go 49ers !

constant gina said...

The only QB to beat every team in the NFL?? Congratulations Mr. Favre..!!

Tracy P. said...

Nordie Numbskulls, eh? You're cracking me up! It was a barn burner--fun game. Favre gave the performance everyone wants to see.

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.



Blog Widget by LinkWithin