Saturday, October 17, 2009

I Left My Heart...in SFO

Please Visit Miss Jo's San Francisco!

Incoming from Alcatraz

Incoming from Alcatraz

California Redwood Skylight

California Redwood Skylight

Fisherman's Wharf Tanning Salon

Fisherman's Wharf Tanning Salon


The Long & Winding Road

The Long & Winding Road

Other than a shameless plug, much like yesterday, for my Lil Sis's Blog, I'm also part of Cate's 6-Word Saturday, over at Show My Face. These snaps are of a different ilk than yesterday's, so let me explain, forthwith...

Alcatraz Island, out in San Francisco Bay, is the site of the long-time Federal Prison. Scary stuff went on there. Alcatraz is also Spanish for Pelican...

Cross the Golden Gate Bridge & head north just a little ways & you'll come to Redwoods National Park. A cathedral could not be more majestic...

There's been a sea lion invasion, of late, down at Pier 39 (also known as Fisherman's Wharf) at the foot of Hyde Street. This time of year, the pier usually hosts about 300 of the 1,000-pound critters. The Harbormaster recently counted close to 1,500. One sea lion observer said, "The problem isn't sea lions, but that the planet is infested with humans"...

And finally, San Franciscans & tourists alike crowd to Lombard Street, known as the crookedest street in the world. Of course, only one block of this roadway features hairpin turns & that's the block that everyone flocks to. In this Superior Snap, notice Ella Numera Una riding shotgun & gabbing on her cellie in the car at the bottom of the shot...

23 comments:

Brian, the old man said...

Beautiful photographs. I've never been there but would love to go someday. The redwoods are fabulous and you have made it as though I see them close up as if I were standing there. Very nice.

quilly said...

So, the harbor is under seal -- no coming and going, huh? ;)

Bilbo said...

We visited San Francisco last year for two days before our cruise left. We walked up and down Lombard Street (which is just as steep as it looks) and enjoyed everything. My best advice about visiting SF: don't park your car at Fishermans' Wharf unless you want it repainted in Gull-Poop Gray.

Amy said...

That last picture is what the parts of Pittsburgh that give me driving anxiety look like.

I feel like you should be doing something Joan Didion-like while you're out there. (=

Vanessa said...

Great photos!! That road looks complicated to drive in!!
Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest

Greyscale Territory said...

Wonderful bunch of photos! And that last one has bricks on the road surface for grip?

Dr.John said...

I love San Fransisco as well

Technolustmaxx said...

'Lessons learned in the classroom and beyond'- does that make you a more responsible version of Ferris Bueller.

I say yes.

I'd like to go and see CA. This, really, makes me wanna go even more.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

I have many of the same pictures! I love SF too :)

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

I love San Franciso. We took our kids for the first time a few years back and took them to every one of the places you showed.

Their favorite part of the trip: We let them have Ghiradelli(SP?) ice cream sundaes as their dinner one evening.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Wend a crooked way
down a crooked street—Lombard,
in San Francisco.

My Six Words

Cairo Typ0 said...

I've always regretted not making it to Alkatraz when i was in SF. Hubby spent a lot of years in the Bay Area and always speaks of it so fondly... :)

Encore Bride said...

Oh I would love to visit San Fran, Happy SITS day!

Kimmy said...

Great photos!! I actually live not far from SF! I love going there but the hubby doesn't like driving out there..lol! I've been wanting to take my daughter to Lombard Street. She's 7 yrs old and hasn't been on there. Funny how when we live so close to some place, we rarely go visit. Shameful!

Have a great weekend!

Susie said...

Those are great pictures!! I like the tanning salon:-)

Lizze said...

I've never been there but I loved your pictures. They are beautiful!

Happy 6WS! :)

WhisperingWriter said...

Nice pictures. I've always wanted to go there.

Happy SITs Saturday Sharefest!

knit1kids4 said...

Wow! Some amazing photos. Love the seals and winding road.

Vodka Logic said...

Happy SITS Saturday sharefest.. love the sunning salon for the seals. And don't think I will be driving that windy street.
xx

Tammy Howard said...

very very cool!

Call Me Cate said...

Makes me miss SFO. Such an awesome place. Thanks for sharing the photos and playing 6WS!

Miss Jo said...

Those adorable sea lions have doubled this year. They are adorable. I say the more the merrier. I just hope there are enough sardines in the Bay to go around ! Hey, thanks for the second Miss Jo and San Fran shout out ! Superior snaps too.
xo Miss Jo

Rachel said...

Stopping by to say Hello!!! I love the pictures. That road looks a little scary!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin