Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Favre for the Cure

Favre for the Cure

OK, I'm being altruistic here. It really doesn't matter who won or who lost last nite's Packers-Vikings showdown. It's how much dinero we raise For the Cure.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. One of my friends just went thru a mastectomy & reconstructive surgery. After initial positive reports, it now looks like she'll have to have radiation. The doctors haven't said anything about chemo yet, but we're praying for a positive outcome.

Brett Favre's wife, Deanna, is a breast cancer survivor. So was my Mom. We lost my grandmother way too early to this insidious disease.

We don't invite breast cancer into our lives; it insinuates itself. Like a nosy neighbor, the disease just opens the front door & marches on in.

The Bushes lit up the White House pink last October to draw awareness to the cause. NFL players are wearing ribbons, pink-tinted gloves and even cleats of a girly hue to bring a sense of urgency to the need to get something done. Soon. Now.

We lost our dear friend, Denise, the day after Mother's Day a couple of years ago. We lost our dear colleague, Kathy, the October before that.

We need to fight back. To raise awareness. To raise money. To kick this disease to the curb before it's too late for someone else.

Brett's wife, Deanna, was diagnosed in 2004. And she established the Deanna Favre Hope Foundation to support other survivors.

I wore my pink Packers jersey, featuring #4, last nite for the game. Not because Mr. Fairway won't let me wear Minnesota Purple in the house. To show my support for a cause that is bigger than a football game; bigger than all of us.

I'm happy for whoever won the Mix Up in Minneapolis last nite. Because we've all got hope. We're all winners.

16 comments:

Shawn said...

My mom is also a breast cancer survivor---it is an amazing cause!

Alicia said...

isn't it amazing to see such attention given to such a wonderful cause?! and man, what a game!!

Helene said...

It's wonderful that you're spreading the word about breast cancer.

Thanks for voting for me! I voted for you too!

Brian, the old man said...

My mother is a breast cancer survivor. She also had to have a mastectomy. I am so glad the disease did not take her from us but I know that it was and probably still is hard on her. I was glad to see Christina Applegate supporting it through Lee Denim and was able to raise a considerable amount of money for the cause. I know they are still taking donation. Thanks for this post in support of the cause. God Bless You.

Mom of Three said...

@Brian I think Christina Applegate is a survivor too. Glad so much money is being raised for the cause. Cancer in general has been with us too long and I've started educating my kids about lifestyle choices and the effects on our health in general, and try to support efforts to find a cure. I've lost too many friends and relatives to this disease.

JennyMac said...

My moms BF has stage IV. She is surviving...and her spirit of hope is phenomenal.

Praise to raising awareness of a disease that you are right...doesnt need an invitation because it permeates so many lives. Great post Melissa.

Raising Z said...

I think it is wonderful that the NFL is doing so much for Breast Cancer Awareness. It was really nice to see!

Tammy Howard said...

I, too, love that the NFL has taken such an interest in bringing awareness to this cause.

PS - books arrived yesterday - thanks a million!!!

Miss Jo said...

Baba too was a breast cancer survivor, and unfortunately her mom wasn't. It's like roulette....Important to keep breast cancer research rolling with pink power.

Susie said...

My mom is a breast cancer survivor and I am glad to see that the NFL is getting behind such an important cause.

kyslp said...

My mom is also a survivor. Yet she scoffs at all the suport the cause receives these days. Very strange.

carma said...

I'm glad Brett's wife is doing OK. I was shocked when I first heard about it given how young she is, which just goes to show this horrible disease knows no bounds :-(

The Blonde Duck said...

My mother is a survivor--kudos to you for fighting for the cause!

mama-face said...

My dear friend passed away 2 months ago from this monster. I find myself barely able to breathe while reading each post I'm coming across lately as this is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

The pink jersey is beautiful.

Wolf said...

this is an excellent post. there can never be enough information or attention brought to this cause.

Tracy P. said...

Mighty magnanimous, Miss Melissa! I love this, and I so enjoy when the baseball players use pink bats on Mother's Day. It's great when they can all come together for such a worthy cause.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin