Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Taking on The Pioneer Woman

Escape the Cyber-Madness!



The other day, even though I've just started the long slog toward June that's known as a high school English teacher's fate, I started reading a new book. For pleasure. Yes, Your Humble Scribe still needs something to get the grey matter juiced. Reading does that for me.

Can't say my latest conquest is the deepest piece of lit I've ever perused, but Julie & Julia has some pretty prescient things to say. Long about page 96 of the paperback edition, author and blogger Julie Powell makes the following oh-so-true statement:

"Today, when we blog about our weight-loss problems and our knitting and our opinion of the president's IQ level," Powell writes, "we do it on the blithe assumption that someone gives a s**t (OK, she wrote the real cuss word. I can't bring myself to put it down in black-and-white, although this particular expletive definitely is part of my spoken vocabulary) ~ even though there's a guy stuck in Baghdad who blogs, and a Washington DC staff assistant...who blogs, and our own jottings must all be dreadfully dull by comparison."

She has more to say, Dear Readers. Which might be why her book was just made into a Major Motion Picture: "Nowadays anyone with a crap laptop and Internet access can sound their barbaric yawp, whatever it may be. But the surprise is that for every person who's got something to say, it seems there are at least a few people who are interested. Some of them aren't even related."

Well said, Ms. Powell! Which brings me to Today's Topic: Taking on The Pioneer Woman.

No, I have not a whit of enmity toward Ree, she of a cyber-space so blogtastic that I've thought for quite some time that The PW's blog must be cranked out by a corporation. ExxonMobil or ConAgra or Halliburton, trying to weasel their way into the subterranean recesses of the oh, say, hundreds, nay, sometimes thousands of The PW's readers.

The blog is too perfect. Ree is too perfect. Who has time to cook, and write and take purty pictures and run a ranch and wrangle the occasional stray heifer? And still put out a production the likes of which I've never seen anywhere else in the blogosphere? Not I, that's for sure!

And no, I'm not taking on The Pioneer Woman. I realize that she's too big and my space just a bit tiny by comparison. But my youngest, Ella Numera Dos, is.

Nominations and voting for the 2009 Blogger's Choice Awards are now open. And both The Pioneer Woman and MOO, Ella's modest little cyber photo crib, have been nominated in the Best Photography Blog category.

OK, hold your horses! Don't get too riled up. Ree is leading in her category, with 222 votes cast for her so far. At last count, MOO had 6 votes.

So here's what I'm proposing. On a good day, my little ol' blog gets about 20 visitors. If each one of those friends were to vote for MOO, and then told 5 friends to vote for MOO, and then they told 5 more friends to vote for MOO, we might have a movement. My chica could win by a landslide!

Well, that's a pretty pie-in-the-sky attitude if you ask me. But think about it. I'm agitating here, in the best tradition of Lincoln Steffens, Ida Tarbell and Upton Sinclair. They brought a big city machine, Standard Oil and the meatpacking industry to their collective knees. It's about time the blogosphere saw a little muckraking of its own.

I'm proposing a friendly competition, is all. The Pioneer Woman vs. MOO. Straight up. Goliath vs. David, only with keyboards and digital cameras. In my book, the Little Guy wins every time. Vote for MOO...pretty please?

12 comments:

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

MOO it is then!!

shraddha

Sarah said...

thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked my Random Thoughts

Vodka Logic said...

Moo now has 8 votes.

And to comment on the commen on my blog. I am always up early. I work nights and even when home I never sleep.... too many years of a screwed up sleep cycle.

As for the Eddie gig, my kids are rock stars and come to all the concerts with me... of course it may be cuz I pay.. lol.

Yaya said...

Ok!

knit1kids4 said...

I love reading pioneer woman... but she just makes my brain hurt sometime with all she does.

Off to vote for Moo!

JennyMac said...

Oh...competition? I will check it out. Stat. :)

Susie said...

Good luck to her! I would vote but I don't have an account.

Tara R. said...

Good luck to Moo! She can count my vote too.

LadyStyx said...

If it makes you feel better...it aint black and white once it's posted, it's tan and brown.... :)

Got my vote in. Might wanna have her place her badge on her page...you might wanna stick it on your page as well.

Tara said...

I love the picture with this post. And I vote for Moo.

Miss Jo said...

There's no match for Moo ? Maybe Pioneer Woman sees herself as a blogging Willa Cather, with several p.r. assistants !

Anonymous said...

[url=http://sopriventontes.net/][img]http://tonoviergates.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]buy free software, [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]discount microsoft office home and[/url]
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]order software cd[/url] coreldraw graphics suite x3 downloads software sales in canada
c store software [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]nubs academic software[/url] hardware store software
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]bitdefender vs kaspersky[/url] filemaker pro 9 advanced upgrade
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]inside sales software[/url] sun office software
www macromedia com software flash fl4about [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]online store software open source[/url][/b]

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin