Monday, September 21, 2009

Lawyer-to-Be Gets Some Grilling Done

Reader's Digest Flank Steak, a la Scribe

Photo courtesy of Reader'sDigest.com

Ella Numera Una called her Mamasita the other day. Wanted to rustle up a big, red flank steak. Before the chica headed off to law school, I did put together a recipe box full of family faves. Ella just wanted to check in to make sure she was on the right BBQ track.

"So, I'm gonna grill a steak tonite."

"Great. What kind?"

"Flank, natch."

"How big?"

"Oh, a pound-and-a-quarter, I guess. I've only really got one question."

"Shoot!"

"Can I leave the steak in the marinade for more than an hour? 'Cause I wanna take a nap."

Ah, the stresses of higher education! That's the beauty of marinating steak, in my humble experience. The longer you marinate the flank steak, the tastier it is.

"Oh, and one more thing, Moms."

"Yes?"

"Is it OK if I do it under the broiler instead of on the grill? It's getting dark outside and it looks like rain."

I assured Ella that grill or broiler, her Flank Steak À la Scribe would be delightful.

Here it is, Scribe Fans. Get your grill fired up. And get fired up for some steak tonite, OK?

Flank Steak À la Scribe (with help from Weber & Reader's Digest)

(Full disclosure here: The basic marinade recipe comes from the Weber Grill Owner's Guide, circa 1997 & earlier. Mrs. Scribe has owned a charcoal Weber for 20+ years ~ when one rusts out, she asks for another for Xmas or her birthday ~ & uses it to turn out all kinds of delicacies, from Johnsonville Brats to smoked turkeys. We've "goosed" the marinade recipe over the years, to really make it our own. But Weber deserves the preponderance of the credit.)

The Marinade (enough for one 1.5-lb. flank steak)

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

3 tbs. lemon joice

2 tbs. Worcestershire sauce

2 tbs. spicy brown mustard

1 tbs. garlic powder

lots of salt & pepper

The Process

Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl that has a lid, and place the flank steak in the marinade, turning to make sure it's all coated. Put that sucker in the fridge. You may marinate your flank steak anywhere from 1 hour to overnight. That's the beauty of it. No time constraints on marinating! When you're ready to cook, fire up either the grill or the broiler. Remove the steak from the bowl and dispose of the marinade. Place the steak either over (grill) or under (broiler) direct heat for 5-6 minutes on each side. Remember that a cut like flank steak will taste best if it's a little on the rare side, but also remember that flank steaks are usually thicker in the middle than on the ends, so when you're done, you'll probably have different degrees of flank steak rarity, ranging from medium (the ends of the steak) to rare (in the middle). When the steak is done, slice it thin, diagonally against the grain, and serve with a big salad and the Reader's Digest Horseradish Sauce.

Reader's Digest Horseradish Sauce

1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise

1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream

1 tbs. Dijon mustard

2 green onions, finely chopped

2 tsp. prepared horseradish

Combine these ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Mmmmmmmm, that's some good eatin'! And BTW: Ella Numera Una & Roomie had themselves a feast, plus leftovers for sandwiches. I really think they're eating a lot better than I ever did as a college kid!

20 comments:

Miss Jo said...

Yum, yum, yum. Did I say Yum ? We London Broiled last night. Next time we cook flank, it won't go on the grill without Melissa B's marinade ! ...When I got my first apartment in college June made a recipe book that I still have !

Vodka Logic said...

Yum I will have to pass that recipe onto my husband. lol

I can't tell you, even now, how often I call my mother for cooking advice...that is when i do cook.

xx

quilly said...

The first time I went to college (at 18, I usually did my homework while sitting on the dock with a fishing pole balanced between my arm & thigh. If I didn't catch anything, I didn't have dinner.

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Oh my mouth is watering!

Amy said...

That sounds sooo good.

My mom gets these calls: "How long can I forget that this has been in the fridge before it gives me food poisoning?"

Yaya said...

mmm I love flank steak!

Vodka Mom said...

there is NOTHING I like better than a great piece of meat.

Tammy Howard said...

Nom nom nom!!!

knit1kids4 said...

My dh loves his Weber.... that's all he's had too.

Helen McGinn said...

Mmmm mmm! The marinade sounds deelish!

Alicia said...

yummy!! my hubs would love this!

Susie said...

Yummo!!

Chef Eureka said...

I want that for dinner... yeah... that's what I need.

blueviolet said...

Sweetness! We use flank steak when we make fajitas. Delicious!

Lani said...

That sounds delicious! I will be bookmarking this page!

LadyStyx said...

And if you have any left over...slice and toss cold on a salad for the next day...

Tracy P. said...

Yum, that sounds like the marinade my parents used to use. I was looking for one a few weeks ago. Next time!!

bluecottonmemory said...

Oh, our sauce is very similar, but I think I'll steal some of your ingredients! I finally typed up all my recipes (and historically fam recipes, too)- they make great gifts - like when they get married (which mine did) or take law school exams! Mines a whole bunch of pages (I think 60). Makes great wedding gifts, too!

I love flank steak!

bluecottonmemory said...

Oh, our sauce is very similar, but I think I'll steal some of your ingredients! I finally typed up all my recipes (and historically fam recipes, too)- they make great gifts - like when they get married (which mine did) or take law school exams! Mines a whole bunch of pages (I think 60). Makes great wedding gifts, too!

I love flank steak!

bluecottonmemory said...

Oh, our sauce is very similar, but I think I'll steal some of your ingredients! I finally typed up all my recipes (and historically fam recipes, too)- they make great gifts - like when they get married (which mine did) or take law school exams! Mines a whole bunch of pages (I think 60). Makes great wedding gifts, too!

I love flank steak!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin