Tuesday, September 22, 2009

May You Stay Forever Young

Roll Over, Beethoven!

The old gal turned 14 over the summer. She's lost a lot of teeth & shed a few pounds. She went from an all-kibble diet to soft food twice a day; the trouble is the young whippersnapper ~ who's 7 years her junior ~ keeps stealing the gourmet vittles. We try hard, though, to pamper Patch, our nonagenarian. Check it out...14 x 7=98, in kitty years, that is.

Patch is also our shy, retiring furball. While Pepper is out & about, snaring flies out of mid-air & gobbling them down, while salivating for the songbirds out in the dogwood tree, Patch prefers to stay put. She's never been a mouser, even when said mousies are in the housie. As a youngster, she stared vaguely at the occasional field mouse who breached our doorway. Pepper took up the slack for her.

She's still a snuggle-bunny, though. Last nite, in fact, she chased the youngin' off the bed & settled down for a long winter's nap...right between the crook in my elbow & my left armpit. Over the years, in fact, she's garnered an odd nickname: "Armpit Kitty."

And her purr sounds yards away, signaling her presence with the happy, droning hum of a motorboat idling on high. Hence the other nickname: "Motorboat."

Patch is all about that peaceful, easy feeling. She refuses to chase most critters &, for the most part, doesn't engage when her younger counterpart throws down the gauntlet with a hiss, a swat or a low rumble in the throat.

And I'm happy to report that in her dotage, Patch got game. We've had a sudden invasion of cute little brown & white bunnies in our backyard. Whenever one of them hops on over near the deck, Patch puffs out her tail & hollers to be let out. Took a few of these kitty hissy fits for me to figure out what was what.

Patch suddenly wants to chase the bunnies. I'm thinking it's because she wants to be "friends," & not the usual feline bloodlust. Not that she'd ever catch them...they scurry away in a blur of fur, & slither between the fence slats before she can get up the gumption to go get 'em.

Glad you're showing some interest, little Patch. And may you stay forever young.

14 comments:

quilly said...

Patch is lovely. I want to pick her up and cuddle her.

Tammy Howard said...

I miss my kitties so. much. (sniff)

kyslp said...

Oh, I wish I had a lap cat to love on. Hubs is allergic. If I ever get a divorce, that's the first thing I'm getting!

JennyMac said...

Awwww...I am not really a kitty person but this was sweet. And I love that pic.

Mom of Three said...

Awww. Good for you Patch.
Great post, makes me want to snuggle her. And I'm allergic, so that's saying something.

fickleinpink said...

awww, there is so much love in this post.....


you must really dor, don't you?

Susie said...

So cute! A little second childhood?

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

awww...what a cutie..

Vodka Logic said...

Cute picture. We had a cat that lived to be 17 then wandered off and we never saw her again...keep an eye on her.

LadyStyx said...

She reminds me of my Auggi and Fizzi. Both were long haired black n white tuxedos...

Yankee Girl said...

There are so many animal lovers out there!

What a cute picture. Nothing compares to the friendship of a pet.

Lindy said...

What a pretty kitty! I am down to zero cats. Not entirely by choice. But I do miss them!

Kaibee said...

I absolutely LOOOOVE pets, but my mom doesnt lemme keep any!! :(

Well hope patch stays young forever!

blueviolet said...

She needs to be snuggled, she's so pretty!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin