Friday, September 18, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Celebrities continue to die in "threes," & Your Humble Scribe feels the need to pay proper tribute to the recently departed. How sad am I that Patrick Swayze will no longer be dancing dirty?


Or that Henry Gibson will no longer be around to share his lovely, quirky poetry?

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

But the most profound loss I feel this week is over the death of Mary Travers, she of Peter, Paul & Mary fame. With the voice of an angel & a heart larger than the number of causes she supported, the lady made a huge contribution not only to our collective National Pop Culture Psyche, but to the Scribe Family's lore as well.

As a child of the '70s, I did a little "experimenting." No, not with magic mushrooms or funny-tasting brownies. With music. Specifically, acoustic guitar. I've still got the sheet music to prove it. Baby James Taylor. Judy Collins. Bob Dylan. John Denver. Joni Mitchell. Peter, Paul & Mary. And yes, I still own a 6-string.

"Blowin' in the Wind." Yup, I know that one. "Where Have All the Flowers Gone." Uh-huh. We used to sing folk songs before the kids went to bed. My Peeps & I even wrote a song one summer about the odd little family staying near us at the beach. We named it "Little Green Men."

Our family favorite, however, has always been Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane," as sung by P,P & M. The Girls & I sing it, recite it, pen e-mails to one another incorporating the lyrics & have a habitual call-and-response involving this particular tuneage.

I'll throw out a line from the song, not necessarily in chronological order.

The next person has to answer with the next line from the song. Sometimes I'll just speak two or three words from the song. No tune at all. Then one of the gals will call out the next three words.

We can go back and forth for minutes. Sometimes hours. Yes, we're weird.

So goodbye, Mary. We will always remember you, & your work, quite fondly. Oh, babe, I hate that you had to go.

20 comments:

Blog Stalker said...

Definitely some big losses! Enjoy the time we have...for sure....

Have a great day!

quilly said...

The world lost a lot of talent all at once.

Fruitful Vine2 said...

It's a wonderful Friday morning! Stopped by to say hi from SITS. You were on roll call above me.

cat said...

Oh I love the 70's folk music, but it is Patrick Swayze that made the news here in Africa.

GreedyGirl said...

Hi www.greedygirlsguide.com checking in from SITS

Tammy Howard said...

Oh, my family plays song games, too!

And I won't die happy till I hear "Little Green Men"...

WackyMummy said...

I heard about Patrick Swayze, but didn't know about Henry Gibson. His talent will be missed. =(

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

Lovely tribute... I confess that John Denver's death hit me greatly. While I was never a folksy music lover, his voice and lyrics really spoke to me. Still do.

Even though Patrick's death was not a surprise due to his cancer, it was definitely still a shock. And such a loss. He was a great man in so many ways.

We certainly have had a lot of huge losses these last few years. How strange it is that they do actually appear to happen in threes. Tragic and strange.

Aunt Julie said...

Yeah, Mary...every place I go, I think of you...every song I sing...
Dirty Dancing was great, but check out my favorite Swayze movie, Point Break. You'll love it, too. Featuring a young unknown Keaneau Reeves and many others, back when!
Hey, check out my latest contest.

Ronnica said...

Thanks for explaining who Mary Travers was. I saw she had died in Twitter, but I didn't know who she was.

JennyMac said...

Great tribute!

CBeth said...

all my bags are packed, i'm ready to go, i'm standing here outside your door, i hate to wake you up, to say goodbye.

but the dawn is breaking, it's early morn, the taxi's waiting, he's blowing his horn, already i'm so lonesome i could cry.

Susie said...

May they all rest in peace!

April Belle said...

It's so weird how that happens... death happening in threes...

You hit upon some great memories and I share your sentiments about Mary Travers.

We are losing so many incredible artists. It reminds me how none of us get out of here alive.

Have a great weekend enjoying life to the fullest. I think that's the biggest message for me...

LadyStyx said...

Wow. Totally missed Henry Gibson's passing. This was definitely a rough week.

Tara R. said...

I didn't realize Henry Gibson had passed either. Mary Travers was a tremendous voice.

Always in threes...

Mom of Three said...

Will be missed. My fave Swayze movie was also Point Break. But that could be because I was in NY and desperately homesick when it came out.

We have another thing in common other than blogging Mrs B - I too have my 6-string. It's sitting right here next to me. You brought back some great memories there, but you can't forget Cat Stevens and James Taylor.

Mama Mel said...

I can't believe all the losses we've had this year! Very sad!

MissKris said...

Oh, NO!!! I knew about Patrick Swayze and Mary Travers but not about Henry Gibson. Anyone who ever saw him on Rowan & Martin will never forget his sweet, silly face. And isn't it so incredibly strange how death DOES go in 3's. Not only in celebrity-land but even amongst those we know and love?

Miss Jo said...

All three were special....I also can't imagine having grown up without Mary Travers or Henry Gibson in "Laugh In." Thank you very, very, very much :) And Patrick, well, great actor and hunk

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin