Thursday, September 10, 2009

He Feeds More Than My Soul

Love to Eat


Editor's Note: Since this is the first week of school & all, Mrs. Scribe feels the need to alleviate the stress in her life & do a little recycling. The following is a post that originally appeared here. The Writer's Workshop prompt is What Does Marriage Mean to You? Photo courtesy of The Good Guy.


We met in college. We shared the same major. But that was where the similarities ended.


Mr. Fairway admired Dirty Harry. I had a passion for Barbra Streisand. I swam laps. He thought Speedos belonged only on effeminate young men on the beach at St.-Tropez.


The man was a golfer, for goodness sake. He wore Polos even off the golf course. The only folks I’d ever seen in Polos—especially those in shades of chartreuse and tangerine—were effeminate young men in Greenwich Village, during a college summer in NYC.


My best bud Debbie said we were “meant for each other.” That she could tell we were “soulmates.” But there the clich├ęs ended. Because it just wasn’t meant to be.


But the more I saw of him, the more we became comfortable in each other's ways. The Dirty Harry fan took me to more than one chick flick. And I even once rose before the sun did and, discarding my usual uniform of jeans and a T, donned khaki and a Polo to attend a PGA Golf Tournament.


We were there 12 hours, and I have to say that I enjoyed myself—because he was there.


He’s Norwegian, from the Upper Midwest. I’m a Southern Gal. He’s parsimonious in his prose, sometimes going hours without a single word to anyone. I can talk a blue streak, with anybody, anytime.


Debbie was right, of course. As the ’80s morphed into the ’90s, and the new century dawned, we watched the seasons of married life fly by. Two kids and years beyond college, we’re still together.


And no, this isn’t a post commemorating our anniversary. That comes up in the Spring. Today, I’m honoring a note he left on the kitchen table. A memo, of sorts, just a quick FYI, scribbled in a husband’s scrawl, which greeted me when I returned from doing laps yesterday morning.


“Hello...I’m cooking dinner tonight.”


That’s all he had to say to win my heart again. He had me. After “hello.”

19 comments:

Alicia said...

awwww SO FRIGGIN CUTE!! and you know what....i love how despite the obvious differences it doesn't matter!! ahh the power of love!!

Vodka Logic said...

I love Dirty Harry... I love Clint basically.

How cute that it is still romantic...can I borrow him lol.

xx

Mom of Three said...

oh that is so sweet! i love to read your posts. :)

Tammy Howard said...

I would swoon if the hubs left a card like that.

Tortuga said...

Awesomes! I love when mine does things. It's true, it is the little things that can make all the difference.

Sandy said...

Isn't it the most awesome feeling to look back like that and be happy! Truly a blessing.

mama-face said...

You compliment each other perfectly...

lovely post.

Ronnica said...

How sweet!

Susie said...

What a wonderful post! Sometimes opposites do attract and compliment. My husband and I are like that too:-)

Aunt Julie said...

Awwwww...My brother, Mr. Fairway, is a romantic sap! Gee, that's nice. Awwwww again.

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

just too sweet..

i love the person you are..

shraddha

Christy (Columbia Lily) said...

KEEPER!!!!!!!!!!

Raine said...

Super Sweet!

Shawn said...

Awww, so nice----I am blushing....

Miss Jo said...

So glad the Polo shirt didn't get in the way ! What a sweet husband. What's for dinner tonite ? Happy back to school.

Jennifer said...

What a sweet post. He sounds like a keeper!

Ms. Lovely said...

I really liked this; you have a way with words.

mannequin said...

:) smiles. How very sweet of him.
It takes one sweet and one spicy to make a sweet and spicy meal.
Does that make sense?

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

I just recently discovered these writer's workshop posts. This was a good one, sorry I missed it! I like polo shirts and so does my husband. Nice note he left for you, too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin