Monday, September 28, 2009

Deal Me In: Texas Hold 'Em Jambalaya

Mr. Fairway's Texas Hold 'Em Jambalaya

Mr. Fairway's not much for rustling up grub. But he knows a delectable dish when he dines upon one.

Another thing Mr. F. is known for is his quasi-regular, when-the-little-woman-is-out-of-town-occasional-poker game. And years ago, when the kids & I were very young, he even had a regular game that regularly featured gustatory delights.

Known as the Poker Guys, the Hubz met them thru a friend of a friend of a friend. They were carpenters in suburban DC. Maryland, I believe. And Mr. F. often traveled to College Park, hoping for a hot hand & a chance to quell the rumbly in his tumbly (with apologies to AA Milne).

Of several dishes he sampled over the years, the F-Man was particularly enamored of a dish made famous in Louisiana & my native Tejas. Now, I've made gumbo before. But this is jambalaya. Similar ingredients, but a subtle difference that really makes a difference, I believe.

We moved to the 'burbs ourselves, after 12 years in DC. Mr. Fairway left the regular poker game behind, but we kept the jambalaya recipe. We've tinkered with it over the years, & consider it the best we've ever had, north of the bayous of Baton Rouge & Beaumont, anyway.

One Editor's Note: I pick the shrimp out for Ella Numera Dos. Only a Mother's Love, huh?

Mrs. Scribe's Texas Hold 'Em Jambalaya

1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 lb. smoked sausage, sliced (we like andouille)
1/2 lb. ham, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
5 stalks of celery, chopped
1 bunch of scallions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 16-oz. can tomatoes; do not drain!
1.5 cups of water
1 Tsp. thyme
1/2 Tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 Tsp. black pepper
1 Tsp. salt
1.5 cups rice
1.5 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
2 lbs. peeled shrimp

Sauté sausage and ham until lightly browned.
Add onions, pepper, celery, green onions and garlic. Sauté until tender.
Add tomatoes, with juice, thyme, papper and salt; cook 5 minutes.
Stir in rice.
Add water and Worcestershire Sauce.
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, add shrimp, and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes, until rice and shrimp are done. Serve it up with a hunk of cornbread & a brewski. Nothin' finer, I promise!


Scribbit said...

Ah the cajun! I'm such a heat whimp I have to have mine pretty tame while my husband lives for the spice.

Quilldancer said...

Sounds yummy! I may just give this one a try!

Vodka Logic said...

Sounds delish, can you send me a batch?

The Expatresse said...

If you have kids, you may know about CHUM-balaya? It's a SpongeBob thing. Always makes me laugh.

Betty said...

Sounds delicious! Happy that I just discovered! your lovely blog .
It's so nice to "meet" you.
Over Sits:)

Dreamgirl said...

I'm now so hungry... I will have to try this one. Come over and check out my Nantucket lobster chowder. Pretty good too...
Just stopping by from SITS to wish you a very happy Monday!

mybellringers said...

Sounds great! When's dinner?

Tara R. said...

I'll be adding this to my weekly menu planning. Wow... this sounds awesome.

Kari said...

Looks yummy!

Thank you for stopping in over at my blog and wishing me a happy SITS day!

Genny said...

I'm with Scribbit... I'm a heat whimp too, but it sure looks good!

Helene said...

That looks SOOOO good! But I'd probably screw it up somehow! I finally just mastered the art of the perfect chili but that's as far as I've gone so far!!

Thank you for stopping by my blog last week on my SITS day! I hope you'll be back again soon!

Susan Berlien (warmchocmilk) said...

Look delish! When we go to a restaurant my husband always lookd for something in the menu that says cajun. The spices are so good!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'll ante up if you pass some over!

kyslp said...

Jambalaya is one of hub's favorite dishes. Maybe I should make this for him tomorrow- it's his birthday. I can't make it too hot though - I'm a wuss.

Susie said...


Dr.John said...

Not my cup of tea.But then I don't play poker just canasta.

Amanda {My Life Badly Written} said...

YUM YUM looks delicious!!!

freegal1000 said...

ugh i soo miss it, especially now that its cold out

LadyStyx said...

Mmmm. I haven't had that in such a long time. I always had to mild it down with some plain white rice, though, because the spices were so upsetting to the tummy. Ooooh...and me some gumbo..

June Freaking Cleaver said...

I think this one will be on my to do list. The Boy won't eat it, he avoids anything with flavor.

designer said...

Hmmm.. yum!

Thanks for droppin by Sitsta :)

Miss Jo said...

Mr. F's poker games were famous in D.C., but not as famous as your jambalaya ! Thanks for the receipt.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my web site to get additional info. [url=]Online Investment Blog[/url]


Blog Widget by LinkWithin