Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back to School ~ The Preseason

Hootchie Mama Teacher

This Superior Artwork courtesy of The Buenos Diaries.

Yesterday morning came a tad too early. Even though this week is the "preseason" in a teacher's life ~ the 5 days we spend attending endless meetings, sitting thru mindless inservices, setting up our classrooms, readying lesson plans ~ and doesn't feature any students, I still had some butterflies in Ye Olde Stomach.

We slept with the windows open Sunday nite, & that was a good thing. The coolish, fall-ish Monday morning breeze, combined with the tweets of the Cardinals who live in our neighborhood year-round, made my alarm clock superfluous.

I put my game face on and hauled these old bones down to Our Humble High School.
Four hours worth of meetings, a newspaper staff gathering, a late lunch (I wasn't able to nuke my leftover minestrone until 3 p.m.-ish) & a dozen e-mails later, I booked it on home. Put on my walking shoes, and ambled a good 4 miles ~ my new stress-relieving regimen. Hey, I think it'll be better for my constitution than The Ben & Jerry's Stressbusters Diet, don't you?

I think I'm gonna have a good year. Even Principal Man didn't rub my last nerve raw today. But I've also learned how to doze while sitting in a hard plastic cafeteria chair. With my eyes open.

21 comments:

Honey Mommy said...

That picture is seriously awesome. It made me laugh because what teacher wears stuff like that to school anymore! Ha!

Back to school isn't a big deal to me yet because none of my kids go to school!

Miss Jo said...

Happy new school year. Always a fresh start. Slate clean. Good feeling....You also have the best house for sleeping with the windows open. The neighborhood is so lush and very chirpy !

Susie said...

Keep up the good work over there:-)

Tammy Howard said...

I have been loving sleeping with the windows open!

My kids go back tomorrow. Not that I'm looking forward to it or anything...

Elizabeth said...

Dozing with your eyes open is a seriously important skill! The kind of thing you should list on your resume in the future!! :)

Yaya said...

Wow 4 miles?? Good job!

luvsclassics said...

Love that Vintage drawing. Garters and silk stalkings was everyday wear prior to the 60's. Sure glad pantyhose was invented.
Putting on those walking shoes after school is a good idea. Minestrone recipe available?

Amy said...

Happy back to school! Thought of you when I drove that way yesterday.

knit1kids4 said...

Sounds lovely the way you woke up and the walking home - good for you!

Stephanie Faris said...

Wow. You guys start back late. All of our schools have been in session for weeks now. Sometimes I wonder if I should have been a teacher. It's just a completely different world from the corporate one. Okay, I'm a state employee so it's been a while since I've been "corporate!"

carma said...

You've got a great outlook. Hope is is your best year yet.

And walking as a stress reliever is perfect. I really need to get off the elliptical more and out into the fresh air!

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

Happy back to school..

enjoy..

shraddha

The Blonde Duck said...

I love that pin up picture! Imagine how many apples she gets!

Nicolasa said...

Mmm crips fall mornings tell me a new school year is here! I hope you have a great first day. I start on Thursday!

Mama Mel said...

What a funny picture! :) All of this sounds very familiar. My mom is now a retired Kindergarten teacher, and my step-dad and sister are both teachers. So, I understand how tiresome all the meetings and preparation can be.

Good luck with the new school year! :)

TeachJ said...

Do you think that photo is what a young Eddie Van Halen was thinking about when he helped pen "Hot For Teacher?"

Columbia Lily said...

where'd you get my picture? =) just kidding.... good luck on your first week back.

Tara said...

Snoozing is good. Wishing you a great school year.

Genny said...

Hope you have a wonderful year!

S3XinthePantry said...

congrats on walking instead of feasting on ice cream. Way to go with the sleeping with eyes open trick. I hope to master that one day!

Joy said...

You go girl with your awesome decision-making skillz!

Happy SITS day!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin