Thursday, August 20, 2009

Writer's Workshop: Flying Solo

In the self-confessional vein, Your Humble Scribe chose Prompt #4 from Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

Hi, my name is Melissa B., and I'm an Empty-Nester. For the second time around.

In the spirit of Deja Vu All Over Again, we have both been here before. Of course, 4 years ago the transition from high school to college was a tad scary. This time around we both anticipated a less-bumpy ride.

Our moving-to-college choreography is choice; we've carried our share of baggage~physical as well as emotional~up & down dorm & apartment building steps over the years. And remember, Ella Numera Dos is a college kid now, too, so this Empty-Nester janx is not new to either me or Mr. Fairway.

But this move-in was as different as it was familiar.

Yup. I hauled (almost literally) my Eldest, Ella Numera Una, off to law school this week. Monday & Tuesday were full of moving boxes, waiting for the POD, securing Internet access, scoping out the neighborhood (she lives on a block that features an eclectic combo of more serious grad students & beer pong-playing undergrads), unpacking, taking out the trash, traveling to Target, jackassing more crapola into the apartment, taking out the trash again~for the eight hundred and seventy-seventh time.

All in the name of getting organized. Staying busy. Trying not to think about Wednesday.

Yesterday was Wednesday. Madre Scribe busied herself in the a.m. while Ella Una went to training for her new job. We met for lunch & more errands. I stopped by her pad one more time to help sort thru more clutter. She drove me back to the hotel to pick up the van I'd rented for the move-in.

Then it was time to hit the road. And my all-grown, 22-year-old chica hugged me goodbye.

She cried. I almost cried. She got back in her car to drive away. I started to get in the van to head out of town. She stopped. I stopped. We both got out of our vehicles. We embraced once more & I wiped the tears from her face.

Ella Numera Una called me last nite. She and her roomie had a "bubble wrap popping party" after I left. Shopped for a few essentials, considered cooking dinner, ordered pizza instead. My Chica spent some time re-arranging furniture & hauling yet more trash to the dumpster. She set up her computer & her printer. But she didn't want to part with the bubble wrap. Not quite yet.

I'm flying back to DC today. She's flying solo. I'm proud; she's a little nervous. All is right with the world.

Ella Numera Una Learns to Ride Solo

24 comments:

Columbia Lily said...

aw.....

Vodka Logic said...

Aww from me too. I have put off empty part I for awhile at least. Daughter K, lives at home since the school is very close. Perhaps it will be harder when she does leave, I don't know. I am sure a blog will come out of it when the time comes.

xx

Elise said...

Hello, just wanted to leave you a commment to say how much I've enjoyed reading your posts today. You have great pictures too.

Best wishes

Amy said...

Aww, that made me all teary. She's going to rock the hell out of law school. (=

Tammy Howard said...

Y'know, on the days I want to throw mine out the window, I think about that day when they'll actually fly out of it on their own accord.

And then I hug them and they cringe and tell me I'm weird.

Sandy said...

Lotta parents and kids going through those emotions over the next few weeks. Sounds like you got through it!

knit1kids4 said...

I'm so far from this... but I can imagine the sadness I will feel!

C. Beth said...

It feels like it will be forever until my kids (ages 3 & 1) will be at this point...but it's really right around the corner, isn't it?

Such sweet picture.

And the original Superior Scribbler! Wow!

Margaret said...

I have four out and one more year before the last kidlet is gone. As hard as it is to have them leave, it is satisfying to see them flying solo. Your daughter will do great!

shraddha/april@theselfloveproject said...

awww...you will be ok dear..

oh sorry to bombard you with comments...

we have tagged you at our blog

MyLinda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Your post made me sad for the day I will send my oldest off to college...oh my gosh that could be in 6 years! Luckily I'll have 10 more after that with the youngest!

Unknown Mami said...

I'm a little teary now.

I love the ending photo.

Susie said...

I know what you are feeling! I went through the exact same thing last year with my oldest. You are proud that you have gotten her this far but sad because the roles are changing.

quilly said...

You get an A+ on this assignment. You made me cry!

S3XinthePantry said...

Oh! Congrats to your daughter and way to go Mommy!

Mandy said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing this. Your baby is all grown up and it sounds like you've raised her into a great human being.

Thanks for visiting my blog today via SITS. I'm honored that you enjoyed my post since you are such a great writer and I'm just beginning my writing journey.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

The do grow up, don't they? However, even on their own, they're still--and always will be--your children.

dkzody said...

Wow, you've been busy while I've been back at school. Good thing you don's start as early as we do out here in Cali.

Lauren From Texas said...

what an AWESOME pic

JanMary said...

Thanks for visiting.

Lovely to read about this stage, which seems still far off for us, but will happen far too soon.

Mama Kat said...

Hard to believe that someday it will be me writing this post...

Tara said...

Such a sweet picture! Teach them to fly, and then let them. Not. Easy.

carma said...

congratulations on this milestone...Love the pic of her on the bike as a child. Now I'm getting all stressed thinking that my "little one" only has 5 years to go...

Mrs4444 said...

I don't even want to think about that day in my future....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin