Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sands Thru the Hourglass...But Not Between Her Toes

She sleeps late when we go to the beach. She drags her chair down to the sand on her own timetable. She never spends as much time on the boogie board as the other kids.

But she claims she loves our yearly summer respite.

Ella Numera Dos first visited NC's OBX when she was a mere 3 weeks old. Mr. Fairway & I argued about the trip. I'd just delivered the kid via C-Section.

He: "You just had major surgery. The baby is tiny. You shouldn't travel."

I: "We'll still be in the United States of America. They have doctors. But we won't need doctors. I'm going."
We went.

I can't estimate how many times Ella Dos has journeyed here. We visit in the off-season, too. Conservatively, I'd say 30 OBX excursions in her 19 years. Maybe more. One trip stands out, though. Dos was 2, and her sister, Ella Numera Una, was 5-ish. We traveled to the OBX with aunts, uncles & cousins.

Let me just preface my remarks with an observation. And I promise I'm not exaggerating. As a wee one, Ella Numera Dos redefined what it meant to suffer thru the Terrible Twos, from the parents' perspective.

She wanted to go to the beach. She wanted to sit near the ocean. But she didn't want to touch the sand. Every time even a granule came in contact with any piece of her skin, she'd shriek. And did that pint-sized diva have a set of lungs on her!

Mr. Fairway, of course, couldn't stand to hear his little girl errupt. So he devised a plan. Only a Daddy who was partial to his gals could 'a' thunk it up.

He laid a carpet of towels between the bridge over the dunes and the area where he'd staked our umbrella. He let Ella toddle to the encampment, completely sand-free.

After enduring the child's patented hissy-fits all week, her Madre was ready to put Ella Dos in terminal time-out (see, this post has a little bit in common with the prompt, after all). Her Daddy, however, wanted to give the kiddo safe passage. And as she starts her 2nd year of college, he's still an enabler that way. And that's a good thing, I think.

In the Lap of Luxury


June Freaking Cleaver said...

Dads (and some Grandpas) do that sort of stuff. They cut crusts off of sandwiches. They cut itchy tags out of clothing. And they carpet the beach so the Princess doesn't get all sandy.

Great post!

Amy said...

Oh, the fun of being a daddy's girl!

kisatrtle said...

I can see my hubby doing that. Cute post

Yankee Girl said...

It is so easy for girls to get daddy wrapped around their fingers!

You were so brave to take the little ones on a trip!

Vodka Logic said...

How cute and now all grown up. Lovely


Susie said...

Isn't it always the daddys that want to pamper their girls?

Nance said...

Sand--one of my major issues with Beaches In General.

Jen said...

the beach is awesome, the sand not so much.

LadyStyx said...

Aint being a Daddy's girl wonderful??

Tara R. said...

It's good to see she overcame her aversion to sand. Daddy's Girls are a special breed. I have one too.

shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

its good to be daddy's girl!!!

Miss Jo said...

Wouldn't it be nice if life could always be paved in a perfect path of terry cloth ?

Anonymous said...

Fantastiс blog! Do уou have any hints for aѕpiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own blog soon but I'm a littlе lost on everything.
Wοuld you аԁνіse starting with a free ρlatform like Wordpress or go for a paid optiοn?

There are so mаny oрtions out therе that ӏ'm completely confused .. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Here is my homepage :: irving tx taxi
Also see my web site: irving taxi


Blog Widget by LinkWithin