Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Lion of the Senate; or is Charles the Mann?


Today, I'm tackling Prompt #3: Tell us about your crush.

As many of you know, The Scribe Family hails from Our Nation's Capital, more or less. Yes, we lived in the City for 12 years, before decamping to the slightly calmer 'burbs, but one constant remains: If you live in Metropolitan DC, you live to see~or be seen.

I'd hate to say my kith & kin are jaded, but they are. Seriously. Ella Numera Una sat near a Backstreet Boy on a flight back home last Christmas. Ella Numera Dos tapped a large, cute guy on the shoulder at a concert last summer...turned out to be Chris Cooley, a wide receiver for the Washington Redskins.

And I'm the one who ran into Princess Di & Prince Charles one sunny afternoon outside the Library of Congress. And yes, she was blindingly beautiful. Off the charts. Her homely hubby? Not so much.

Well, Mrs. Scribe has her own crush. Specifically, 2 crushes. Both were football boys. One went on to be a philanthropist. The other practiced philanthropy thru a lifetime in the US Senate.

Charles Mann

Several times a month, former Washington Redskins defensive end Charles Mann & I meet for coffee at a local Starbucks. I'm usually on my way to work; he apparently uses this neighborhood Bux to do a little work for his Good Samaritan Foundation, which is in the biz of helping underprivileged young people.

I say "apparently," because Charles, as I like to call him, doesn't~excuse the cliché~know I exist. But we're bonding. I can feel it.

One morning, several years ago, I turned away from the counter after purchasing my regular~decaf grande skim latte~and I bumped into this sweet looking guy. And tall. And gorgeous. He apologized for getting in my way. I wanted to tell him he could get in my way any time he wanted to.

I ran into him several times that summer. I knew I knew who he was~I recognized the boyish face, the velvet voice, the yummy bod. The first week of school that year, I hit on it.

I'd been pining the summer away for Charles Mann. Good ol' Number 71.

My crush has continued for going on 8 or 9 years. I always hit the doors of my local Bux between 6:20 & 6:40 a.m. Teacher's hours, you know. He usually strolls in about 6:45; on weekends, around 9:30. He doesn't know me, but I know him. Some day I might introduce myself. But for now, I'll just drool long-distance.

Teddy Kennedy~Harvard Football Team

Teddy Kennedy was the best-looking Kennedy boy. Don't let anyone tell you any differently. And since the death of "The Lion of the Senate" late Tuesday nite, I keep thinking back to the first time I laid eyes on the senior Senator from Massachusetts. The memory still makes my heart race.

I was recently up from Texas. A rube, really, who didn't know Bullfeathers from the local burrito joint. I was suffering thru my first DC December~which to a Dallas gal is a pretty big deal. I was also incredibly frustrated with DC's transportation grid. The teeny-tiny signs, the stoplights on the funny little poles on the right-hand side of narrow little cobblestoned streets. Let's just say I wasn't a fan of the weird way Pierre L'Enfant designed this city, with the streets radiating from the Capitol.

Like many transplants before me, I kept getting lost & ending up in the Pentagon parking lot.

One afternoon after a long shopping trip to the 'burbs, I turned toward my home on C Street SE. Not to belabor DC's out-of-control lettering/numbering system~which could only make sense to a bureaucrat~but I ended up on H Street NE, behind Union Station. I headed toward a Texaco to get my bearings & some guidance, and who did I see, pumping his own gas?

Cue the sound effects, please. Serious screech of brakes. Wheels spinning on their rims as Mrs. Scribe flips a U-turn in the middle of a busy throroughfare. Squeak of automatic windows rolling down at the speed of sound.

I think I even hollered. Something classy, like, "Hey, you're Teddy Kennedy!"

I'd like to say that Senator Kennedy gave me directions back to my crib. But by the time I pulled up at the pump, he had already capped his tank, climbed up in the seat of his SUV, and peeled out of there. But I got a really good look. This was the era of the trim physique, the salt-and-pepper hair, the senatorial bearing.

I forgave him his trespasses. Right then, right there. Did I mention he was the best-looking Kennedy boy?

21 comments:

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

That was a lovely post - he was a good man, and an icon regardless of what side you stood on. (and I knew that even though I'm Canadian!)

Raine said...

what an appropriate prompt/post for an appropriate day!

i didnt know anyone ever had a crush on ted kennedy - maybe im too young :D

Vodka Logic said...

I think you should introduce yourself to Charles Mann. I bet he recognizes you from seeing you everyday.

As for Teddy, a crush...mwwaaahhhh.

xx

Kimberly said...

What a sweet post to write about Teddy Kennedy. Thanks for sharing this with us today :)

PropellerHeadMom said...

Great post! My in-laws live in the DC area. It is a facinating place. They are always running into "famous people". I always credit my Sister In-law for restarting Ben Stein's career. Several years after Ferris Beuller's Day off (early 90's), she ran into him at a Circuit City in the DC area and said "aren't you the Bueller guy?". He said "yes, I am the Bueller guy". So she then asked if he would say "Beuller" like in the movie... which he did. Shortly after that, his career took off again :-)

Fer*Cambe said...

Hilarious post Mel B, you should definitely introduce yourself to Charles Mann as mentioned AND your family loves bigger football types (AKA Teddy is the best looking KennedY).

I live in NYC and every time I'm with anyone from out of town we see famous people all the time, but never alone. I just don't notice them, I'd like to think they're noticing me though! haha

Tammy Howard said...

I lived near and worked nearer DC for a while. I never saw anyone famous. Could be that I was just a little too involved with myself...

Nice tribute to Ted Kennedy, the cutest of them all...

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Wonderful post.

Mama Mel said...

Great post! So cool that you got a little glimpse of him! :)

Susie said...

His passing while not unexpected, is still sad. The country has lost a great man.

Life with Kaishon said...

What a great post : ). I love it. I love your crushes. May he rest in peace! And good luck with the footall player! He is CUTE as can be! I lived in a DC suburb for a while after college. You are right, it has so many CRAZY famous people bustling around it is ridiculous :)

mannequin said...

hhmm.. I'm trying to figure out if I am more in awe of Princess Di or Teddy Kennedy. My goodness, you get around!

I laughed about the Pentagon parking because it's happened to me just about every time I go there :) DC is such a gorgeous place to visit, I can't imagine living there.

Sharon said...

Wow! You're a famous person MAGNET!

Mom of Three said...

He totally was the best looking! And he was a great leader. He will be missed.

Thanks for your lovely notes. :-)

Flory said...

A crush on Teddy...really? :)

Dr.John said...

You live one exciting life.

Ms. Lovely said...

I love the football picture. :)

Tara R. said...

Great old pic of Teddy. I can see why you would be smitten with Charles. Fabulous smile. We don't get too many interesting celebs around here. I think Britany has a summer place, but I've never seen her - kinda like Sasquatch.

Nance said...

Oh, the lure of the Pentagon's Parking Lot. My friend from Maryland and I end up there quite regularly on our way to go shopping at Pentagon City. (Or anywhere else EXCEPT the Pentagon, really.) What IS it about that damned place? It's like the Roswell Of The East.

carma said...

That's a lotta name dropping for one post ;-) Not too many famous folks around here *sigh*

LadyStyx said...

Nice tribute.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin