Monday, August 10, 2009

The Color Purple

Shell art

These are just a few of the reasons I love North Carolina's OBX. Something interesting always washes up. One October, in the wake of Hurricane Isabel, we counted 7 older beach shacks that had been claimed by the waves. A couple of years ago, while on a lengthy beach stroll, I almost stumbled over the carcass of a rather large sea creature. No one knew the origin of this critter, but its rib cage measured about 8 feet around.

And, of course, last Halloween during a beach stroll I came upon this gem. But winners like the Chamber Nautilus are few and far between on the OBX; no jetties guard the shores & the Atlantic is an untamed mistress.

Because bits & pieces are much more common on these golden beaches than full-fledged shell-shop finds, My Peeps & I have turned OBX shelling into an art form. Can't find a shell a la Florida? Look for pieces with funky patterns, seaweed that exudes soul or a color not usually found in Mother Nature.

Here we have a random collection pulled from Mrs. Scribe's pockets Sunday. A couple clam shells, part of a razor clam shell, some seagrass that appears to be doing an arabesque, a run-of-the-mill oyster shell. But take a gander at the little piece toward the bottom of the shot.

Yes, it's purple. I only found one of these gems yesterday, but trust me...they're everywhere. I've got a couple of big jars overflowing with the Color Purple at my house. I'll be out scouring the scorching sands of the OBX today, too. It's supposed to be 95 degrees in the shade. And, of course, there's no shade out here. Just miles & miles of artistic detrious.

13 comments:

theselfloveproject said...

ooh they are absolutely GORGEOUS...

great find...

Alicia said...

i love the shells!! man, that makes me want to go to the beach SO bad...

Sandy said...

I absolutely share your love of OBX. We have a time share in Duck (haven't stayed there yet) and in Kitty Hawk (have stayed twice) and love it. During our visit in May this year we actually looked at some real estate. You never now!

http://itsarealjungleoutthere.blogspot.com/2009/07/summer-stock-sunday.html

http://itsarealjungleoutthere.blogspot.com/2009/06/adventures-in-obx.html

knit1kids4 said...

Love them! Purple is my dd favorite color... she would be so happy with that find!

Carolyn said...

I love the beach too. But I've never seen a purple shell before! That is so cool.

Vodka Logic said...

I am visiting a friend in Indiana, I am from Massachusetts, and I keep asking "where's the beach"

Love it.
x

The Blonde Duck said...

Those are better than store finds.

Raine said...

Those are great!

Fer*Cambe said...

I've only visited friends in the OBX but how is it that almost every single one of you guys that spends lots of time there have vast sea shell collections and philosophies. Do you guys get together and discuss?

Susie said...

Gorgeous!!

Yeah, I'm Still Here... said...

Ooh, I love searching for seashells! I remember camping at the ocean when the kids were little and tenderly packing all our seashell treasures up to bring home with us... oh the excitement of unpacking them to admire our loot when we got home, about 2 days later, but then dropping to our knees because of the stench... oh wait, too much information huh? Sorry.

LadyStyx said...

oooooooooooooooh purple! A nice mason jar of those pretties with some white sand to fill in the gaps between the shells would look lovely.

Miss Jo said...

Sounds like you have truly vacated ! The shells and sand are so pretty. You paint a lovely picture. Remember to put the shells back in your pocket so you can take the ocean home.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin