Monday, July 13, 2009

No Soup for You?

I know this sounds crazy, especially since so many of you folks out there are suffering thru record heat. But Minestrone ~ yes, the Italian soup generally considered a winter comfort food ~ is a summer crowd-pleaser, too.

Think about it. Minestrone is low-fat fare, filled with so many of the good veggies that just happen to be at their peak this time of year. I've combined & culled so many soup recipes over the years that I can't quite pin down an original author, but this is a great recipe, which will simmer in your crock pot, either on the low or high settings. And, just so you know, I'm decidedly NOT taking credit for it, even though I've named this version after moi-self!

minestrone soup

Mrs. Scribe's Summer Minestrone

1/4-cup balsamic vinaigrette (We like Newman's Own.)

1 large onion, chopped

3 large celery stalks, chopped

3 large carrots, skinned and sliced

2 medium zucchini, cubed

1 cup snapped grean beans

14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained

19-oz. can cannellini beans (Italian white kidney beans)

32-oz. vegetable broth (There are several varieties out there. I try to use low-sodium broth, if it's available.)

2 cups water

3 tsp. Mrs. Dash's Italian Seasoning

1-1/2 cups dry pasta (We like Rotini; the squiggly noodles are fun in soup!)

Parmesan cheese to taste for each serving

Directions: Cut up the veggies & sauté them in the Italian dressing over medium-high heat. Cook about 3-4 minutes, until tender but still a tad crunchy. Spoon the veggies into a slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the noodles & the Parmesan. Stir, cover.

Cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours (The Scribe Family prefers the soup after it's been slow-cooked). Stir in pasta the last 15 minutes of cooking. You might want to add another cup of water, since the pasta will soak up your broth fast! Garnish with Parmesan cheese, to taste.

Editor's Note: This Superior Snap was captured by the Australian School of Meditation & Yoga. Seriously.

16 comments:

The Redhead Riter said...

yum!

one of my favs!

Visiting from SITS.

Alicia said...

mmmmmm i love minestrone!! great, now i'm hungry!

Marrdy said...

I had never eaten Minestrone soup until I married my hubby. Now I can't get enough of it. Thanks for the receipe!

Aunt Julie said...

Looks delish! And it's cool enough out here that we'd love to enjoy a bowl of soup for lunch and/or dinner...

Ronnica said...

Sounds good!

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

I like your idea of using salad dressing to saute veggies. Very clever.

Minestrone is our favorite Sunday after church lunch in the winter with a big slab of French bread. Gazpacho is our summer soup.

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Well. This is so cool. mY husband will appreciate me making this.

Susie said...

That looks delicious!!

Genny said...

I'm not kidding...my stomach growled when I saw that picture! lol

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I'd been looking for a good minestrone recipe for ages.

Mrs4444 said...

This looks delicious! I've never heard of sauteing veggies in Italian dressing! I'll try it! Thanks.

freegal1000 said...

This is delicious...I sure enjoyed my lunch today!

Yaya said...

This sounds so good, I'm so gonna try it!

HappyChyck said...

That looks wonderful as long as I'm in my air-conditioned home! I'd love to revisit that recipe in January, but then the ingredients won't be as fresh...

LadyStyx said...

mmm! I'll have to print this up later.

Pam said...

Thanks for this--I will definitely try it! Looks so good!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin