Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Narak Iktar Tard! Or, "The Maltese Falcon"...NOT

Ella Numera Una, who did her Spring Breakdown for The Scholastic Scribe in March, is guesting again for her Madre this week. Today she takes a look at Short-Shorts, Grandpas and "Gladiator."


Valletta, Malta, was the first stop on our cruise after spending a couple days in Barcelona. I actually didn't know that Malta existed, much less was its own country, until a couple days before we arrived! I guess you learn something new every day.

Malta ended up being one of my favorite stops on our trip, and I would love to go back someday and explore the island more. Well-known for its fortresses used for protection against the Ottomans, and its ruling class of Knights throughout the Middle Ages, Malta is definitely an historic experience.

The country's most famous tourist destination, St. John's Co-Cathedral, was one of the most beautiful churches I saw in Europe (and trust me, I saw a lot of churches). I think the highlight of our visit to St. John's was the lovely skirts we were given to wear because our shorts were too short.

Malta Cathedral

I think the other highlight of my Maltese experience was definitely the grandpas wandering the street, speaking intensely with each other in plazas, or just hanging out. Apparently, Malta is home to lots of older folks, just from what I saw, and they have nothing better to do on a Tuesday in July than just chill throughout the city. They were so cute!!

Malta Grandpas

Valletta was small enough for us to tour in one morning, by foot, and it has some amazing views. As the ship left the port, everyone was on the decks taking pictures. That was when our cruise director decided to inform us that Valletta was actually the backdrop for several movies about Ancient Rome, because of the similarity of the ruins and there are a lot fewer people! We sailed by the set that was used for both "Gladiator" and "Troy" and I would have to say, if I didn't know it was Malta, I would have thought it was the Coliseum!

Malta Fort

Unfortunately, though, we saw neither Russell Crowe nor Joaquin Phoenix. Drat!

As the title of my post says, "Narak iktar tard." See you later!! (in Maltese). Look forward to catching up with you tomorrow for our first day in Italy. Mmmmmmmm, pizza!

13 comments:

Tammy Howard said...

Another excellent travelogue.

JennyMac said...

What great pics...and now on to Italy! Lucky you. It is one of my favorite places.

Aunt Julie said...

Fashionable Cathedral-wear, girls! And I like your comment on the grandpas...such a sweet pic, too!!

Fer*Cambe said...

This is gorgeous! Those older guys really do look like they're having an amazingly intense conversation over there.. I remember some of my favorite down time living in Paris was going to the park and watching the old Algerians playing bocce ball.

Marrdy said...

What an amazing trip.

LadyStyx said...

gorgeous scenery

Christina Lee said...

I actually ahd a co-worker from Malta-she would always say it is beautiful there and that "popeye" was filmed there :)

Alicia said...

malta looks so neat!! i would love to go one day...

Susie said...

Great shots!!

freegal1000 said...

I like the phone booth the Grandpas are standing by, too...nice shots!

carma said...

Italy tomorrow. I'm so jealous!!! The skirts are stunning!! Before we headed to NYC a few weeks back, my mother said to me on the phone, don't wear short shorts, because NOBODY wears short shorts in the city. Long story short: EVERYBODY was wearing short shorts, except me!

Aunt Jo said...

Malta sounds dreamy. Sweet about the grandpas chatting away--- also a superior snap !...The skirts, oooo la la ! What fun, fun, fun....

lawrence saliba said...

Congratulations for your blog.

Should you want to maximise your visit time in Malta we provide you with your personal guide Before, During and After your visit in Malta.

Before your visit view a virtual tour of the city (1hr) upload voice content on your mobile and when visiting use the attached booklet whilst you roam around like a local.

Get free ebooks from our site

www cultel com explains it all

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin