Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"I Think There's a Dead Person Over There..."

Ella Numera Una brought you Spring Breakdown in March. She's guesting again this week; here's Post #3: Pompeii

I know the title of this post seems a little insensitive, but it's the quote that sticks out to me the most from my Eurotrip.

Pompeii Person

Pompeii Ruins

My friend said this to me while we were trying to dodge several tourist groups at our first stop in Italy. We spent the day in Naples, and took a short train ride to see Pompeii, the city destroyed by Mount Vesuvius. Pompeii was super-interesting, with many of the buildings, art, and even people preserved from the eruption over 2,000 years ago.

And of course, even though we suffered through one of the hottest days on our trip (record highs of more than 100 degrees), and Pompeii has absolutely no shade, it was an experience I'll never forget!!

Pompeii Shade

We walked and walked again...walking seems to have been a "theme" of our two weeks in Europe, even though we spent half of that time on a Mediterranean cruise!

Pompeii feet

I know that today is Wordless Wednesday, but I felt everything needed a little explanation. Can't wait to see you tomorrow when we go to Rome (and do as the Romans do)!

7 comments:

Aunt Jo said...

Fantastic photos. Pompeii looks incredible. And after all that walking, it looks like you've got Gladiator toes !..I'm loving your travel blogging...By the by, any Italian food tales ?

Pam said...

I loved Pompeii! Did you get to the museum that is off site? I didn't, but sure do wish I had. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation.

knit1kids4 said...

How cool to visit Pompeii. We read about it in our history - but to visit it would be so amazing!

Fer*Cambe said...

Naples is intense huh!? I drove from north to south of Italy one time just to get there at night and really be overwhelmed by how huge! I mean its New York with less organization... Then went off to Capri and was small-town comforted again. These pictures are amazing - you guys had a great time!

Marrdy said...

Now visiting Pompeii and seeing history 2,000 years later would be worth blisters. How a neat experience!

Susie said...

I get tired just reading this post!

Jenn @ youknow... that blog? said...

I bet the tan lines from those sandals was interesting ;)

I haven't been to Pompeii yet, but it's definitely in the plans for when the Wee One is a bit older. Italy is one of my favourite places on the planet.

Looks like you had a great time!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin