Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July: Just Peachy!

No, this isn't a Scholastic Scribe Original, nor does Your Humble Scribe claim even to be related to the one who originally concocted this summertime sensation. But when my chica almost crapped out on our 4th of July outing, I implemented my backup plan. And I have to say it's a winner, in the Scribe Family's Book.

Peaches are a 4th of July favorite, but they'll be in season for a few weeks more. Enjoy!

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, slightly softened
2 tbsp. cream cheese
3 tbsp. cold water
3 lbs. peaches, sliced
5 tbsp. light brown sugar
5 tsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. butter, slightly softened and cut into small pieces

Heat oven to 375 and grease and flour a 9" pie pan. Put first 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl or standing mixer and beat until the mixture looks crumbly. Rinse your hands under cold water, then press the mixture together with your hands just until it forms a solid ball. (Don't work the dough any more than necessary to form a ball.) Place the dough in the pan. Pat it to the bottom and sides of the pan to form a full pie crust. Flute the edges if you like, or keep it ragged and rustic looking. Poke the dough about a dozen times with a fork and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, until starting to brown.

While crust bakes, combine the last four ingredients (peaches through butter) in a bowl and leave them alone until the crust comes out of the oven. Then pour the peach mixture into the crust and bake for about another 15 minutes, until the peaches are bubbly.

A lot of people remove the peaches' skin "for a more refined pie," Ms. Albright says, but she only does this "if I have time. If you feel so compelled, place the whole peaches in boiling water for about 10 seconds, then run them under cold water. The skins will slip right off."


Nance said...

I feel bad for the peach farmer who THINKS that the sign will help with the squeezers. It will most certainly *NOT*. It's like having a basket of kittens there and a sign saying, "Please do not say AWWWW or CUTE."

But you can't blame 'em for trying.

Genny said...

Stopping by from SITS. Your mention of peach pie caught my eye. Looks great!

Susie said...

Good luck with the sign, right?

Miss Jo said...

I just bought some fine California peaches to whup up your tempting pie, but I'm having a technical problem: I can't read some of the ingredients/directions through your BLING!!!
Now, that's a problem Miss Jo has never encountered in all her years in the trenches of the Old Media !
Looking forward in San Francisco to having peach pie (with hint of ginger) in the oven, Miss Jo

Alicia said...

great sign! but i doubt it did any good!

afeatheradrift said...

Oh that looks like a great recipe. I'm copying it. Glad I found your blog. I just saw that my incoming links was working again, and saw you linked me up on June 30.Thank you. I'll add you to my reader and keep in touch!

knit1kids4 said...

Peaches are not ready here... we still have awhile. The picture made me LOL

Wolf said...

can't wait to try this with the peaches we have growing on some of our trees!! sounds yummy!! :)

Cole said...

I love peaches... YUM!

Miss Jo said...

Thanks for the great recipe....It did my northern California peaches proud !!

LadyStyx said...

I love peaches but I can never manage to get them ripe enough. Always the crunchy not quite ripe ones so I basically quite getting them fresh.

dkzody said...

Here's a challenge--post a picture of your peachy delights!

Moms Fighting Fat said...

Sounds delicious!

Thanks for your bra recommendation, btw, it was greatly appreciated! :-)

Marrdy said...

I love Peach Pie. My friend makes the best in the whole world.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin