Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wanda Sykes, Rush Limbaugh & Moi

Your Humble Scribe is not known for her tact. Nor her beauty. Sometimes, I hit a home run in the Humor Department, but I'm no Wanda Sykes.

When I started this blog almost 15 months ago, I saw it as an outlet. You see, I like to write. And if you've had any doubts about that, Dear Friends, the proof is in the posts: 435, to date. Some, of course, were WAY better than others, but we won't go to the Dark Side just yet.

What about the 9-11 Memory? I really needed to write those feelings out. Or my quasi-encounter with the Runaway Trucker? My Main Man, Mr. Fairway, encouraged me to vent my frustrations in a quick post, which in turn turned into a diatribe.

A lot of them are like that.

But there have also been the short-and dare I say "sweet"?-posts, too. The Christmas Breasts come to mind. And my observations about Michael Phelps & other swimmers who are all wet.

I've connected on the Social Justice scene, too. I have to say I'm really quite proud of everything I've said in past posts about Yoshio Nakada & those like him.

If this particular post sounds like a valedictory, well, it's not. It's more of an attempt to get to the bottom of things around here. You see, I've got a tracking gizmo monitoring this blog, & I'm a tad confused.

Sitemeter tells me I have an average of 110 "page views" a day. I've had more than 36,500 "hits" since March 31, 2008. I'm told by folks who say they know that page views are better than hits; but to me, a number is just a number. And those numbers add up to quite a few visitors, in my book.

So why is it, y'all, that even on a really good day-say, like a Superior Silly Sunday Sweepstakes-I get a handful of comments?

I'm told that those who visit my blog must keep returning for the content. But I have to say, folks, that sometimes I think I'm talking to myself.

For those who are fans, thanks for sticking around. For those who are new to me, please come back again real soon. And for those who choose to comment in this space, you're the best!

And about Wanda Sykes. Did you hear what she said about Rush Limbaugh?

17 comments:

Cairo Typ0 said...

I know exactly how you feel! Some days i get ooddles of hits and very few comments. This was especially true before i moved to Egypt and my mother was my only commenter. LOL

But those of who are your fans - love to tell you so all the time!! :)

Mrs4444 said...

I can so relate, and I have the same stats. I've always been fascinated by people who can just be observers and not talk! Just one day, though, I would love to see 100+ comments. That would be a trip!

Mrs4444 said...

P.S. Note that I said, "just ONE day." I don't know how people who get tons of comments every day keep up!

Mrs4444 said...

P.S. Note that I said, "just ONE day." I don't know how people who get tons of comments every day keep up!

Ronnica said...

My stats are right in line with yours. I don't know...as much as I love the comments (and I do), it's not REALLY why I blog. I like to think of them like frosting...and boy, do I like frosting.

Lynda said...

I'm one of your "real" numbers... !

Tara R. said...

I am an attention monger and love the comments, love the numbers, but I think I would still do this no matter what. But, I can so relate to what you're saying.

teachin' said...

Before I blogged, I didn't comment on the ones I read very often. I felt almost embarrassed; who was I to go intruding on their writing with my saccharine little comment about their life? And even though I knew that people blog for the connection piece of it, at least in part....I just couldn't always bring myself to do it. My comments always seemed so banal compared to the pithy, witty, insightful posts that I was reading.

Then I started blogging, and I realized how nice it is for the blogger to get comments, and I started commenting more, especially on teaching blogs. I still don't comment on every blog I read or every post (I use Google Reader to subscribe and often I just read without clicking through), but I'm trying to do it more.

So that's my perspective on the subject.

Alicia said...

Man I know what you mean...I'm new to thing whole blogging thing...but at least when I see a comment I know someone heard the crap I have to say and that's so rewarding... even though I would talk to a brick wall if it would listen! Don't worry...I'll comment away!

Koe Whitton-Williams said...

Melissa - you know. . . when the posts are soooo good and the comments are so awesome it can be a little intimidating for us, you know, shy ones. So I didn't really read this posting and I have not read any of the other comments, just in case, this one doesn't measure up and I get too scared to write anything at all.

But truthfully - your posts about Yoshio are so touching and sad. We met through the superior scribbler award and it's nice to stay in touch. I have not read your 9-11 memory yet but I will and my wife (looking over my shoulder) won't like me click on the christmas, um, you know, posting.

I have a simple little blog with a friend who MADE ME turn off the comments as few as we got. . .

It's the grasshoppers in 'a bugs life' mentality. They come, they read, they leave.

Columbia Lily said...

hmm..I don't know how to keep track of my hits. But I never get that many comments. I am not so great about commenting either some days... Sometimes when I get home from school I am just DONE TALKING. But I always check your blog, even when I don't comment. In fact I got worried a week or so ago when you didn't post for a couple of days.

AB HOME INTERIORS said...

hahaha Great post! Love it, popping in from SITS!

WhisperingWriter said...

Yeah, I know how it goes. I usually average 150 hits and I'm lucky if I get 20 comments. It's a good day when I go OVER 20 comments. But that usually happens only when I get a shout out.

I know I'm thrilled when people e-mail me to say that they love my blog. I'm always like, "Woohoo! Someone besides my family reads it!"

Alicia said...

Hey girl, i tagged you, come on over if you have time!!

--Heather-- said...

I feel you, if you take a moment to stop by... why not take a moment to say hi?!

Marrdy said...

Lately I have been having comment blues. I have some blogs that I faithfully visit and leave comments on and those folks NEVER leave me a comment. Should I be offended? Should I stop visiting them? Are their hands broken? Who knows.

LadyStyx said...

At least you're getting those numbers. I'm lucky if I get more than 5 or 6 per day,which hardly seems fair when I visit over 50 blogs and generally will leave a comment in nearly each one...even if they post more than once a day.

However, in answer to your question. I'm just going to ditto Marrdy. Some days I'm tempted to just weed out those that don't bother visiting from my "to read" list. I already weeded nearly a dozen out because they couldn't be bothered. I understand that sometimes it's hard to get to everyone every single day, especially when you follow in the triple digits but would it hurt to visit once a week? Honestly, some of us don't update everyday.... *sigh*

*gets off soapbox*

As for the days I DON'T comment, sometimes I really don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said by at least 1-2 other commenters. Either that, or I just don't find the topic interesting for ME. So rather than say "I think this topic really stinks", I just move along....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin