Friday, June 12, 2009

Rush Limbaugh is Bad for America

Dear Mr. Limbaugh:

First of all, I have to refrain from calling you "Rush," as so many others do; I don't know you, and hope our paths never cross.

Now, don't get me wrong. I hold no personal enmity toward you. I just think you're a bad man. And that you-and your opinions-do nothing but fan the fires of hatred.

Let me tell you a little about me. I've live in the DC area for more than 20 years. I consider myself a "native," as far as one can be a native of the Capital of the Free World. And no, I'm not one of those bloviated buttheads who spews nonsense at the drop of a hat.

That would be you, sir.

Perhaps you heard what happend in DC a couple of days ago. A deranged old man burst into the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum-a museum dedicated to fighting hatred-with a rifle. He didn't say a word. He raised his gun and fired. A museum security guard fell dead; the guard's comrades returned fire.

The shooter is now in critical condition at The George Washington University Hospital. Both shooting victims-the guard and the lunatic-were brought to GW because it has the best trauma unit in the region.

Perhaps you remember-GW is where they brought President Reagan when John Hinckly tried to assasinate him in 1981.

I've been listening to the all-news radio station since the murder at the museum, and I've heard some amazing things. Everyone seems to be saying that we should come together in the wake of this senseless crime; that we should learn to help one another; that we should be patient, kind and tolerant. That is the lesson in the Holocaust, they say: Love thy neighbor as thyself. Leviticus didn't lie.

Everyone in positions of power seems to want to share the message of peace. Everyone, I'd say, except for you.

Instead of using your soapbox to heal wounds, you use it to make those injuries fester. Instead of investing some of your unimaginable popularity in the cause of bringing Americans together, you prefer to tear us apart.

Your only loyalty, it seems, is to yourself.

You said yesterday that nut job who stormed the Holocaust Museum has "more in common with the marchers and protesters we see at left-wing rallies...the New Left is a collection of extremists that rip at the very fabric of society."

You should be ashamed, Mr. Limbaugh. In a pathetic attempt to manipulate the millions who blindly follow you, you managed yesterday to link the murder at the Holocaust Museum to Judge Sonia Sotomayor, to President Barack Obama, to chaos in Gaza, to the extermination of 6 million Jews.

I'm all for the protections of the First Amendment, but you really need to do a little self-censoring here. Enough with the hate-filled invective. My guess is that James W. Von Brunn is an avid Rush Limbaugh fan. People like you, Mr. Limbaugh, fan the flames of intolerance for people like him.

At a time when most of us see the need to united instead of to divide, you feel the need to get in a pissing match with the Devil.

My Texas Daddy had a term for folks like you.

Pudknocker.

Look it up, Rush. And if you have any interest at all in healing old wounds, you need to shut your yap, too.

9 comments:

Cairo Typ0 said...

Brilliant! Rush's brand of crazy is simply not needed in thsi world.

One of my favourite bands, Moxy Fruvous, has a song called, "The Greatest Man in America" that mocks Mr. L and those who follow him so blindly.

Amy said...

Sometimes I wonder what he thinks about as he tries to fall asleep at night. Those little rationalizations/guilt rushes for the maybe not nice things we did during the day -- what does it look like on his level?

Monday, I was angrily walking somewhere, and one of the stores on the street had Mr. L. blasting through their open door, and it took a bit of strength not to find a rock to throw toward the sound.

Em said...

I do listen to Rush, if I happen to catch him while I'm in the car - I'm afraid some of his few good points get lost when he spouts crap like this.

He does fill a role though, whether you like him or not, just as Keith Olbermann does, at least for me. Both these men remind me that the vast majority of Americans sit in the middle and just want to get along - taking something to the extreme, Left or Right, is just wrong.

LadyStyx said...

I don't like that man. If I wanted to hear some of the crap he spews, I would have stayed married to my first husband...

Marrdy said...

Here! Here! I finally got my hubby to stop listening to this lunatic. He spreads hatred and fear and is not a respresentative of the Republicans or conservatives. He only cares for furthering his carrer and enlarging his wallett. I suggest we bring back stoning and pumel him each time he opens his trap!

Tortuga said...

AMEN!

I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said, so I'll just repeat myself.

AMEN!!

Shawn said...

He is obtuse, I will say that.

teachergirl said...

Of course, Rush is full of hot air much like Rachel Maddox and Keith Olbermann. What scares me most about the incident at the Holocaust Museum was the on air commentator who thought it would be a good idea to start labeling certain kinds of speech as hate speech - then we'd be able to control these evil people like the shooter. Brilliant: let's just throw out the first amendment altogether!! I think not. We're the land of the free - you have to be able to stand up and defend his, my and your right to speak and think things that are abhorrent to you and yours if you truly believe you live in the land of the free.

PetalsYoga said...

You are my new hero of the week.

Thank you for saying what I was feeling!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin