Friday, June 26, 2009

Fx4: When Dick Clark was Cool & Michael Jackson was Cute

I have a confession to make. I've had a 40-year crush on Michael Jackson.

Well, the physical attraction hasn't been there for some time. But, to paraphrase Renée Zellweger, he had me at "ABC" & "I Want You Back."

I'm old enough to remember Dick Clark when that iconic...& now pretty sad...schlockmeister hosted Michael & his 4 brothers on "American Bandstand." I'm ancient enough to have brief subconscious glimmers of The Jackson 5's grainy & somewhat screechy appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

I'd give both performances a "98," Dick. Peppy lyrics & still awesome to dance to.

As a mature gal now, I'd like to think I bask in the security of middle age. But every time I hear something from Michael Jackson's pre-"Thriller" catalogue, my heart is his, once again.

Yes, before the drugs & Lisa Marie Presley & Neverland Ranch & the urge to resemble Diana Ross, Michael Jackson was, in his own right, adorable.

We over in Scribe Land have been rendered speechless by the death of the self-proclaimed King of Pop, which as y'all know, is quite a rarity over here. Michael Jackson is part of my history. His various incarnations, at least in the early years, defined & shaped my life.

A few fun Jackson 5 facts. There are 9 Jackson siblings. Michael was the 7th. Only 5 of the boys comprised the original Motown group. Their father abused the kids, especially Michael, who became the family cash cow at the age of 8 or 9. This doesn't excuse MJ's later transgressions, but no wonder he had a few screws loose.

Don't know the exact vintage of this video, but Mike & his bros performed more than once on Dick Clark's "Bandstand."

RIP to the little boy who taught me my ABC's. So many will be talking today about the weirdness of your sunset years, but I'll always remember your artfully fun & definitely forceful personality. Oh, and that amazing 'Fro, Bro.

Candid Carrie & her Friday Foto Finish Fiesta are screening this video for y'all today. Moonwalk, anyone?

21 comments:

Alicia said...

oh i loved your post...i'm such a huge MJ fan and it breaks my heart that he passed so suddenly...i still can't believe its true!

Tammy Howard said...

Oh, I remember (and loved) pre-Thriller MJ, too. May he find the peace in death he never could in life.

Farmgirl Paints said...

I grew up with him too. It's really hard to believe. Great post. Stopping by from SITS today.

Susie said...

We all remember today when and where he touched our lives. I choose to remember the talented person and not the illness he evolved into. I am glad that he is free from his pain now.

Nance said...

Oh, heck. I can remember my brother joining the Record Club of America, where you picked 13 RECORDS--THAT'S VINYL LP'S--for 1 cent, blah blah blah, spare you the hook, and he ordered the entire catalog of Jackson 5. We had a portable record player--MONO--and danced the summer away that year.

Two of my faves of all time: the rat song "Ben", which MJ pronounced "Bin", and "Dancing Machine". Sigh. I loved him. Such a shame that he weirded out and that THAT will be part of his memory.

Tortuga said...

My first album I ever bought was the Thriller LP...yeah, vinyl!

Marrdy said...

My favorite memory of Michael when he was older and not so cute was when he performed on the Motown Anniversary show..he sang Billie Jean and I got goose bumps! What a waste.

Barbara Manatee said...

Visiting from Candid Carrie.

What a great post. Yes, I haven't paid much attention to MJ in recent years, but surely did enjoy his music and moves back in the day. He is truly an icon

HappyChyck said...

I was not a huge MJ fan, but I can see where he has been THE icon, even with the negative drama he's had in the past decade. His music was always respected. I can't believe he was 50. He always seemed ageless to me.

Vodka Mom said...

That little boy?? That's the one I love.


for sure.

Teresha and Damon said...

Well said!

Magaly Guerrero said...

This is so sad. It was so weird, everybody at work was in the dumps because of it. The weird part is not to be sad because of the death of an icon, but the fact that our ages go from 20s to 60s and we were all mourning. Michael touched so many...

Deanna said...

My 7 year old saw pics of MJ this morning in his later years. He said, "Mom, is that Michael Jackson? Because I liked him better brown."

I didn't even realize he knew who he was!

Lindy said...

He was a genius and a very kind and gracious human being. I hope they let him rest in peace....

carma said...

He was such a cute kid...sad how his life played out towards the end..His father certainly did him no favors!

Yeah, I'm Still Here... said...

Hear, Hear!

jineen said...

hi! thanks for stopping by my blog! hope you are having a great weekend:)i remember i once did a dance to "heal the world". i think i was in 5th grade. i am old enough for that:)

Marina said...

Very nice post!!!! Thank you!

Tulsi said...

I was a little young for the Jackson 5. I was a few years before Thriller. It came out in my teenage hood. I graduated HS in '84 - not sure exactally when Thriller came out, but we waited up to see it so we could talk about it the next day. The "moon walk" was practiced and some in my school got it down. I too have had a crush on Michael. Before he had to many weird procedures done. He was great Black. And confused White.

LadyStyx said...

Such a sad week. So much loss in the entertainment industry.

Anonymous said...

Thank you ;-) look at that emo boy one over this blog:
http://www.emo--boys.info

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin