Monday, May 25, 2009

Today, We Honor Their Service

Part of "The Wall"-The National Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.
The Wall
By Catherine Anne McNeill

I walked along that long black wall, with names as far as I could see.
Friends I knew in childhood now etched in memories.
I've touched their names so many times, remembered them with love.
I walk along, the rain pours down, tears from heaven above.
I watch a Vet, deep in thought, pain across his face.
He walks a mother to the wall; he's taken his friend's place.
She reaches out to touch a name, the one that was her son.
They pause together in the rain, their memories a bond.
The men who fought, the men who died, their names for all to see
Their lives so brief, fallen short, a page in history.
We can't forget what they had done, so many years ago.
Sacrifices they have made, the bravery they showed.
I walked along that long black wall, crying in the rain.
For all those men who've touched our lives, we'll never see again.
28 May 2000
©Catherine Anne McNeill

6 comments:

Tara R. said...

There is no way someone could not be moved standing in the shadow of this Wall. It was one of the most humbling experiences I have ever had.

Lynda said...

This wall is so moving...thanks for sharing this.

Susie said...

Very appropriate for today! Happy Memorial Day!

Marrdy said...

I decided today that this is going on my bucket list...to visit DC during Memorial Day.

Shawn said...

This is such a great poem---thanks for sharing it with us....

koe whitton-williams said...

Melissa - I came back to read this again after you'd left the comment for me. I remember the first time I saw the vietnam veterans memorial. . in the 1980s. I couldn't go up to it. The power of seeing, even at a distance, the names of 50,000 people who should otherwise be alive was unreal. Most would be alive to this day. The saddest thing I suppose is that somewhere out there, someone is planning the next memorial and the next one after that. . . so sad.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin