Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Child Abuse for Extra Credit

We have all kinds of juicy tidbits for you this week, Scribe Fans! If it isn't sex in school, it's child abuse. For extra credit.

OK, before you go all ballistic on me & call Family Services, I guess I need to put this in context. This tale involves a young, immature teacher & teenagers-sometimes a dangerous combo.

Take Mr. X, for example. He's 24. Yes, you mathematical geniuses, that would be only 6 years older than some of his students. He hasn't quite left college-in his mind, anyway. He's stuck between beer pong & research papers.

X hasn't yet learned how to walk that fine line between being a kid's BFF & being his teacher. He often errs on the side of friendliness, bordering on goofiness, bordering on sophomoric sycophant.

Exhibit A, for your analytical pleasure: Mr. X arm wrestles with his students.

Yes, you read that correctly. Mr. X locks hands with his kids and sees who can get the best of whom. In the classroom. For extra credit.

I'd heard about this odd instructional technique about a year ago, when Mr. X was fairly new to Our Humble High School. I shrugged off the murmuring as teenage hyperbole. Nobody arm-wrestles his students for extra credit. Not even a sophomoric sycophant.


Last week, I was proven wrong. A boy wanted a few more points for a recent classroom activity. Mr. X gamely sat down, challenging the lad to a little grappling. The competition commenced. Mr. X looked to be winning. Then there was a thunk, a grimace & a thud, as Mr. X triumphantly pushed his opponent's arm to the desk.


And he broke it. Seriously. Dislocated the boy's shoulder & broke the kid's humerus. That would be the bone that runs from his shoulder to his elbow.

Did I tell you that Mr. X was one of the teachers complaining about my cherubs' recent foray into the naughty & the unknown? The nerve. The temerity. I'd say someone needs to wrassle his sycophantic arse right out of the building.

11 comments:

Cori Lynn Berg said...

You just can't make this stuff up! Reminds me of the football coach I had for American History in 8th grade who put NFL questions, not even as extra credit, but as regular questions on a test. And I, sweet little studious child who knew nothing about football, ended up with a bad grade!

How often in this business do we say "What were they thinking?!?"

As for this young lad being the one to help raise a little stink about your news article, JUST DESSERTS!

HappyChyck said...

Wow! This stuff just can't be made up, aye? Can't wait to see what you have tomorrow...

Ashley said...

Uhm... hell no! I definitely think breaking your student's arm should be grounds for leave...

You certainly have a crazy high school, Scribe.

Lynda said...

Is there some reason he's still employed?? sheesh!

Cori Lynn Berg said...

These last two posts were so good I had to read them OUT LOUD to my husband. You crack me up!

Shawn said...

Crazy! I mean---what is with this guy? Men....aarrgghhh. Or should I say....boys.

LadyStyx said...

Yes, indeedy. And he had the nerve to grip about the article?? *shakes head*

Columbia Lily said...

OMG!!!! I can't believe he did that!!!!!

Sean Hogan said...

AWESOME!!

Man, I wish OHHS was this dysfunctional when I was there =P

Susie said...

Wow!!! That is unbelievable!

Marrdy said...

Those hot young guy teachers. I remember Mr. Margetts...23 and hot out of college. He didn't date the girls until they graduated. I can still remember what he looked like!

Mr. X breaks the kids arm. Classic and priceless.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin