Monday, May 11, 2009

The Big, Bad Wolf Dances the Driver's Ed Tango

I was at a red light the other day. Our state allows right turn on red after a full stop.

The guy in front was taking his sweet time. Oops! My bad. "Student Driver" sign. I waited patiently. He didn't move. Not one inch.

I huffed; I puffed, then slowly started to count. One Mississippi. Two Mississippi. Three Mississippi.

Several "Mississippi's" later, he started. Then he stopped. Then he started again. Dancing the Driver's Ed Tango, or something.

Then he threw on the brakes. Hard.

I tapped my horn lightly. Wanted the kid to know I was back there. He turned full around in his seat, and stared with eyes more than wide open...the better to see me with, my dears. Seriously...the rookie looked so frightened, you woulda thought I was the Big, Bad Wolf.

The light turned green. I honked again, this time with a tad more insistence in my horn. We went thru the same dance as before. Little Red Riding Hood didn't budge & the light turned red again.

The woman in the lane next to me rolled down her window, and said...and I quote:

"Show a little patience. Can't you see that's a student driver?"


Yes, in fact I had noticed. But it wasn't like I was about to blow the kid's house down.

Editor's Note: Yet another contribution to May's entries in the Random Complexity Writing Challenge. 218 Words.

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Stopping by from SITS - Happy Monday. :)

Susie said...

Obviously, that kid was not ready to be on the road yet.

Tori_z said...

Sounds to me like it was his first time out on the roads, and he was panicking. It also sounds to me like you were very patient with him (more so than some people are). When my Mam was learning to drive, she had people pretty much nudging her from behind, and honking their horns every few seconds. Not to mention the rude gestures. So, like I said, it sounds like you were very patient.

Lynda said...

Teens! Ugh!

HappyChyck said...

Ever the teacher you are! You were simply giving him a real-life experience!

Tara R. said...

I need one of those signs for WK's car. He'd love it!

dkzody said...

I remember learning to drive, I was scared. But, we did our practice out in the country on empty roads before we got to go into town and practice there. Only after we were able to maneuver the little city streets were we allowed in the big town with all the major roads. Sounds like this kid needs more practice on slooooooow streets.

As for the lady in the next car--sheesh. What's with people, you make one small complaint and they jump down your throat. I'm dealing with just a situation right now and the person is relentless. She may be related your "patient" driver.

Mocha Dad said...

Teen drivers frighten me.

Z's Mom said...

Well, if he was a student driver I would have assumed he had read the rule book recently and would know he could make a right turn on red....so....in my estimation...you were being polite!

LadyStyx said...

Im with Susie, the kid wasnt ready for the road. I know I aint, that's why I dont drive.

MammaDawg said...

"Dancing the Driver's Ed Tango" - LMAO.

Oh my. I surely have missed you!!

Marrdy said...

I think you should have turned into the Big Bad Wolf and teach the little whipper snapper some auto manners.

Mrs4444 said...

I think getting honked at is an experience this kid needs to get used to. And shame on the instructor for taking him where he/she did if he doesn't have a clue about how to move the car forward!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin