Thursday, May 7, 2009

Alternative Lesson Plan: Hulu.com

OK, I confess. As the school year nears its end, and the high-stakes standardized tests increase, Mrs. Scribe starts to shut her engines down.

We've gone full speed ahead since the day after Labor Day. The seniors started to check out (mentally, at any rate) some time back in December. But Our Humble School District mandates that the Cherubs stay in school 183 days a year. The Class of 2009 will not graduate until mid-June. My last day is June 18.

No, I'm not a slacker & I'm really not complaining. Just tired, is all. And yesterday proved to be a perfect time for a respite.

The 9th-graders went to a special assembly yesterday. Turns out their speaker ran over into the next class period. Since my Intro to Journalism class is mostly freshmen, I had 9 kids in 4th period.

I'd planned to start teaching yearbook layout. It's a big unit, which took lots of planning. Sorry, but I wasn't about to waste it on 9 kids, even if they are my Cherubs.

Someone suggested a movie. Then another kid mentioned Hulu.com. Have you heard of this site? It's a "free online video service" (their words, not mine) that features TV shows, commercials and movies. And it's one of the few sites that hasn't yet been blocked at Our Humble High School by Principal Man & his Evil Techno Henchmen.

Several of the boys were pushing to watch "The Office." And so we did. We hooked my laptop up to the LCD projector, dimmed the lites & watched 2 recent episodes: "Casual Friday" and "Stress Relief." Lots of laughter; a good time was had by all.

My Cherubs left the room at the end of class with smiles on their faces. And I think they learned something today. Helping Hands come in all kinds of permutations. And school doesn't have to be all about making the grade.

Editor's Note: Yet another in the Hit Parade known as the Random Complexity Writing Challenge. 318 words.

12 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey, saying hi from SITS! I am actually in grad school to be a teacher and cannot wait to graduate!!

Lynda said...

Gotta love Hulu!

Susie said...

You must be the "cool teacher":-)

Cori Lynn Berg said...

Oh, good for you, Ms. Scribe. I wanna be in your class. Way to uplift -- both the kids and me!

Yeah, I'm Still Here... said...

Hurray for you! That's the kind of thing that makes kids want to come to school, want to learn and builds a connection with their teacher that makes them feel special! Kudos!

mannequin said...

The kind of teacher that will be long remembered. A teacher's wisdom comes from much more than a textbook.


Lucky kids!

Marrdy said...

I want to watch The Office!!

Shawn said...

Cool site---have to check out some of those old shows!

HappyChyck said...

I love Hulu! Hmm...I don't know if it's blocked at my school or not. I might need to get creative a few times in the next few weeks...

Tori_z said...

It's nice to have fun sometimes. You need it to balance out the hard work. And by "you" I mean everyone... You and the kids.

Karen said...

I've seem Hulu advertised on TV, but never watched it..

The hubby apparently did, yesterday :-)

dkzody said...

Stop by and watch the video I made of the kids' scrapbook pages. That's what we did one day this week when we got tired of all the testing. Where's the fun stuff for kids any more?

June 18, heh? I thought June 11 was bad enough because we take 3 weeks at Christmas now. I'll be in New Mexico as you finish your last week.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin