Saturday, May 9, 2009

6-Word Saturday: Watergate, It's Not!

As y'all know, the Scribes reside in the DC Metropolitan Area. That's lot of ground to cover, but the whole region has one central theme: Politics. All day. Every day.


Many of us DC-ites, including, on occasion, Mrs. Scribe & Mr. Fairway, find it fun to watch several hours of C-Span...straight. When I delivered Ella Numera Dos, Saddam and his Iraqi troops were invading little ol' Kuwait. For those of you too young to remember or too old to care, that invasion sparked the First Gulf War.

And I watched the whole thing on C-Span. While in labor.

When I was fixin' to deliver Ella Numera Una, I tuned in to C-Span then, too. Bob Dole, the venerable Senator from Kansas (at the time) was in a heated dispute with Teddy Kennedy, the venerable Senator from Massachusetts (still). Nothing like a policy debate on the floor of the United States Senate to get those contractions to come closer together!

I'm long in getting to my point here, but that's why the above Peanuts strip is so relevant. To me. To my family. To my city.

Ella Una has a funny family nickname. Following in the footsteps of her father, she gets wound up. If things aren't going just right, her knickers become all knotted in a twist. She has been known...at all stages of her young life...to dash around the house in a dither, in an effort to get all her ducks in a row.

We call her Sam Dash. Named after the Venerable Watergate Prosecutor. And, yes, we noted his passing, when he left this gentle Earth in 2004.

Only in DC...only in DC.

Those are my 6 words for today. Brought to you by Cate, at Show My Face. And dedicated to Policy Wonks everywhere. At least in the Capital of the Free World.

8 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

Great post. We've considered moving to DC over the years but it's never fallen into place. That said, I like where we live now in our undisclosed location. We're still within driving distance of DC and visit several times a year. Politics are certainly part of life there!

Thanks for playing.

Tara R. said...

We have loved our visits to DC, but I don't know if I could handle being that close to the political action every day. It would make my head explode.

Tori_z said...

Interesting post.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I love that strip - and I feel for your daughter. :) I'm notorious for worrying, but what good does it do?

LadyStyx said...

We're in driving distance as well, but have yet to take the time to visit.

Susie said...

My youngest is the biggest worry wart but, I think it is genetic!

Shawn said...

Have been to DC several times---beautiful place! But I don't share your avid addiction to C-Span---just don't like to be reminded of how wacked out the world is!

Marrdy said...

Wow, watching the invasion of Kuwait while in labor. After my youngest was born the LAPD were chasing OJ around in the white bronco. Good times!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin