Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What's the Word Wednesday: What a Dope!

Thanks to "News of the World" for reminding us that even Michael Phelps is human. Mrs. Scribe actually has been flabbergasted by the news coverage of the Big Bong Incident. Some in our area have advocated excusing Phelps for his youthful transgressions. He works so hard, after all...he's only 23...he needs some time for Rest & Relaxation.

Seriously.

Same wannabes who wanted to Forgive Phelps His Trespasses when he was busted near here for Driving Under the Influence. In his Caddy Escalade. With the Spinning Rims. The Olympic God failed the Field Sobriety Test on that one. He got 18 months' probation and had to do some community service janx.

And said he'd learned his lesson. Went on to garner somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million in endorsements. That's up there in the Unbelievable range. Add the Olympic Bling, and we're talkin' Stratospheric Stardom.

Does he have an obligation to his fans? Especially to all the kids out there who want to grow up to be like Michael Phelps?

Mrs. Scribe thinks so. Remember, Mike: There's no hope in dope!

10 comments:

Susie said...

I know...it is hard when Superman takes off the cape!

Jaime said...

I understand that he is human, but he does have a responsibility to be a better role model. One of my friend's sons dressed up as Michael Phelps for Halloween this past year. I'd be interested to hear how she addressed this issue with him. Have a great day from a fellow SITSta!

Veggie Mom said...

Swimming Boy ABSOLUTELY needs to be held to higher standards than the regular old, run-of-the-mill 23-year-old. He's getting paid oodles and oodles of money, and he has an image to maintain. What about all those kids who look up to him?

Lynda said...

I am torn on this one. Yes, he has a responsibility, but he is young. I imagine his life has been VERY structured and he didn't experience the freedoms other teens go through... he still swam miraculously and that's amazing! And I agree with YOU - there is no hope in dope. Sheesh, put the bong down and do some laps!

Deanna said...

I feel torn on this issue. That room was filled with college students all doing the same thing as Michael Phelps. The only reason we know about it? Because Michael Phelps was there. He is a swimmer. The guy next to him doing the same thing could be studying to be my next heart surgeon. Which one bothers me more? The heart surgeon.

I don't think he should be let off because of his celebrity, but I also don't think he should be slaughtered in the media because of it either. I think he is 23 and can't handle the amount of pressure and celebrity that has been put upon him because of the awards he has won.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I like your motto--and I don't particularly like what Michael Phelps has done.

Tara R. said...

It was a truly stupid thing to do. Using the "I'm just 23" excuse was even dumber. My 15yo knows not to do drugs.

Swirl Girl said...

Part of human-ness is stupidity.
His endorsements just went up in smoke.

Betty said...

I was shocked when I heard about Michael Phelps. He obviously thinks he is immune to public scrutiny. The bad things is that a lot of kids will just think he's cooler now. It will be interesting to see how the endorsements go.

Tracy P. said...

Sad, sad! We are all personally responsible for our actions. That is my mantra.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin