Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's the Word Wednesday: When Rhyme is Fine


The Rev. Joseph Lowery, a veteran of the Civil Rights Movement, gave the Benediction at President Obama's swearing-in yesterday. A cute little 87-year-old grandpa, with funky facial hair, and vocal chords that have been lost to history.

The Scribe Family felt a tad like they were in church. In a Hard Rock, Southern Baptist kinda way.

That is until this sprang from the grizzled old man's gravelly gullet, toward the end of the prayer:

Lord, in the memory of all the saints
who from their labors rest,
and in the joy of a new beginning,
we ask you to help us work for that day
when black will not be asked to get in back...
when brown can stick around...
when yellow will be mellow...
when the red man can get ahead, man...
and when white will embrace what is right.
That all those who do justice and love mercy say, "Amen."

And the crowd did. Do you think Dubya was looking for Divine Intervention in the snap above? And Laura, who usually is so gracious & sweet, looks downright perturbed.

10 comments:

MissKris said...

You lived in Portland at one time?! What a small world! Whereabouts did you live? And when was this? Oh, and it'll be at Lincoln City. If you'd rather, you can email me your answer. My email is:

krazymisskris@yahoo.com

Please put Scholastic Scribe in your subject line so I know you're not spam! :-D

Teri said...

I loved yesterday's speeches, songs and prayer. Way cool.

MammaDawg said...

She really does look perturbed!

Deanna said...

That prayer cracked me up and that's a fact, Jack!

Lynda said...

He really was wonderful!

Columbia Lily said...

My kids LOVED that part of the speech. And me too. =) I also loved that man's voice, so amazing. It reminded me of James Earl Jones.

Tara R. said...

What is it they say about a picture worth 1,000 words?

Ryan Ashley Scott@Optimistic Cynicism said...

It looks to me like Mr. Former Prez is trying to squeeze one out on the sly... but I live in a house with two gross boys, what else am I going to think about?

Susie said...

I think that is a really funny photoshopped picture:-)

I thought the prayer was neat:-) I felt like I was in a Baptist church.

Marrdy said...

I'm glad you survived the big crowds. And didn't you just love the new Prez's speech. Now there was something to say AMEN to!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin