Monday, January 12, 2009

Well, We All Can't Be Michael Phelps


Mrs. Scribe was putting in her laps at the local rec center yesterday afternoon. Two young-ish (maybe froshies?) high school girls asked to share the lane. Being the Ever Generous & Humble Scribe that she is, Mrs. S. scooted over to make room.

One of the girls had a local high school's team cap on. The other was on the...shall we say "plumpish" side? Keep in mind that Your Intrepid Scribe is neither a) a Spring Chicken nor b) the Sveltest Gal in All the Land (try saying that 3 times fast!). No, we're not criticizing the young woman for her weight. She just didn't look like she wanted to be there, is all.

Let's put the rumors to rest. Yes, Mrs. Scribe is getting on in years, but she still has some gumption in her gallop. The Old Woman was lapping the 2 young women. By quite a bit. Kicking their fannies, in fact.

Every 250 yards, when Mrs. Scribe would switch from strokes to kickboard & back, she'd catch a snippet of convo from the other side of the lane. Seems the girls were getting ready for lifeguarding class. And the heavier one hadn't been in the water for a long, long while.

At one point, a slightly heated debate ensued. High School Team Cap turned to Chubby Friend.

"Come on. You've only got 5 minutes left."

"F**K the five minutes. I'm getting out."

Hope she passes her lifeguard certification class. BTW, Mrs. Scribe burned 1,102.5 calories during her 90-minute swim. *w00t!*

19 comments:

Veggie Mom said...

You burned that many calories in one day? Sounds like swimming is the way to go! I do feel sorry for Chubby Girl, though. She needs some motivation!

Hippie Family... said...

WOW!! nice job.. we started swimming lessons too at our rec plex... Infant swim lessons are going to burn me about hmmm. 7 calories... :D

Clix said...

Go you! Michael Phelps doesn't have nearly your sass, anyway!

Lynda said...

Woohooo! I need to swim.

Tara R. said...

Let hope you are never in need of the skills of either young lifeguard wanna-be. You go girl!

karin said...

Now if I could just get over the self-consciousness of donning a bathing suit at my age and displaying my bariatric body, I would go swimming. I used to every day in the pool in our apartment building - but then no one used the pool when I did!!
It is very satisfying and motivating, isn't it, when we can trump those who are younger, who ought to be able to outdo us, lol!
Thanks for visiting my Welcome to Alberta blog today!I must come back to get inspired!!

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

Man I wish I could find a pool around here...

You GO girl!!

Hey - I captioned from yesterday - a little late - sorry!

Teri said...

That's some serious calories burned. I am in awe.

Deanna said...

If I had "extra" money (ha!), I would put in one of those lap pools in my backyard. I love to swim, but hate swimming in public.

Susie said...

Awesome job!!

LadyStyx said...

How to you manage to calculate the calorie burn while swimming? To get that type of burn (and trust me, I'd LOVE to have it) I'd need to bike 3-3.5 hours!!

Tara said...

I love swimming! I taught Husband how to swim a few years ago and now every lap looks like he is swimming for his dear life.

By the way, new location for my blog! Can you update your links pretty please? I will like you up real-nice lol

www.thecupcakecafe.blogspot.com

Clix said...

Oowh. I just got done with some StepMania - I can't imagine swimming for an HOUR AND A HALF. BTW - I think for the breasts to count as tawdry, you've got to have hints of nipples.

Blog Stalker said...

Way to go Scribe! And congrats on the but whipping you dished out, It always feels good!

Have a great day!

Marrdy said...

You are woman hear you roar!! And way to go kicking those yun' 'ens butts I love it!!

I also bequethed an award on your. Stop by and pick it up when you get a chance.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I love beating the younger set. Doesn't matter at what--I just love it. You go!

Tracy P. said...

Yea for you! I was a competitive swimmer for about 12 years, but somewhere along the line I went for about five with no available water. After that I could no longer get my arms out of the water. Very sad!! Picture me with a kickboard!

Michelle said...

WOw, that's a lot of calories. Too much work though. LOL

glenna said...

You burnt over a 1000 calories in 90 minutes! Wow. I probably consumed that many calories in 90 minutes that same day.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin