Thursday, January 15, 2009

This Just In...

Dateline, Cyberland—Somewhere in the Blogosphere—The Scholastic Scribe announced today that she will put her Superior Scribbling to good use, effective immediately if not sooner, by throwing all her considerable skill vis-a-vis regurgitating word vomit into a Writing Challenge.

The object of The Random Complexity Writing Challenge, sponsored by the blog In Search of Giants, is to “keep the words flowing, even if the words are ‘watermelon watermelon watermelon’,” according to the sponsor.

While not really a contest, the Writing Challenge does have some rules, which one may view here. The goal of the WC is to “Write a minimum of 1,000 words of fiction or creative non-fiction per month, from January through December of 2009.”

Contacted while tapping furiously upon her ratty & allegedly virus-infused laptop, Mrs. Scribe said she not only is up for the challenge, but welcomes it.

“Heck, 1,000 words a month? That’s just a drop in the bucket of the creative vat of my well-hydrated life,” The Humble Scribe said. “I think I can throw that much diction out there in 2 weeks! Now, deciding whether it’s quality diction is another skunk in the all together. And don’t even talk to me about tone & sentence structure!”

Your Intrepid Scribe, who worked in the trenches as a Professional Journalist When the World Was Very Young, says she enjoys the relaxed & informal nature of the Blogosphere, especially where she hangs out in Cyberland.

“I’ve got tons & tons of supportive & nurturing friends out there who are basically in the same situation as I am,” Mrs. Scribe explained. “It’s not ‘Publish or Perish.’ We’re not trying to ‘scoop’ the competition. But we do have to scoop up after ourselves sometimes!”

At press time, Mrs. Scribe was readying some more purple prose for a post. “Perfunctory is not my style,” she admitted. “I do tend to go on. But please don’t accuse me of upping my word count. That’s just my Inflated Sense of Self speaking.”

10 comments:

Tara said...

Oh cool! I may have to check that out. I have been writing various novels, all which have gotten a few chapters in before being promptly thrown in the garbage (or deleted from hard drive).

I am a horrible self-editor. I need practice in just letting the words flow, even if they are watermelon, watermelon, watermelon...


Hey, as an aside... know where a gal can get some watermelon?

Lynda said...

What's a 100 words to a writer like you? Two weeks? Two hours??

LadyStyx said...

Shoot...I know some writers that do the 1000 in one sitting...*laffz*. Good for you though. We look forward to seeing how well you do.

Marrdy said...

1,000 words. You can do it. Maybe a little everyday and soon you'll have a lovely novel that you can publish, makes millions on and retire!

Blog Stalker said...

Good luck. I hope you write like chapters in a book. I usually love reading your witty writing style and look forward to reading your non-fictionous 1000 words a month.

Have a great day!

Veggie Mom said...

I'm doing this too...did you sign up over at her site? I think between the two of us we crank out more "word vomit" per month than any other 10 bloggers combined!

Mrs4444 said...

Wow. You'll get no competition from me, but you go ahead; I'll be rooting for you! :)

Z's Mom said...

Wow.....you could probably do 1000 words per post!!! :)

LadyFi said...

Inflated sense of self... hilarious!

Tracy P. said...

Word vomit...hilarious! I do not need to count in order to be certain of just how capable I am!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin