Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dear Cyber-Community,

Some of my observations about this Blogging Janx come from ignorance; others from irritation. And I have several sweet things to say, as well. To avoid sounding like a Maker of Lists, I'm not going to number any of these items. And please, don't take offense, or "offence," as my British Blogging Buddies would say. Nothing here is directly directed at anyone, unless it is.

OK, here goes. Uncharted Waters, as they say. I sense a new "trend" in blogging, much like the dozens of "let's get on the bandwagon now" efforts that permeate education every year. The FEEDJIT Frenzy. What's the purpose? Why is it important to know if I'm coming to you from Glen Burnie, Maryland, some mornings, and Lovettsville, Virginia on others? And in Real Time, no less? What about Fake Time?

I have to say that Bloggy Tracking Gizmos kinda Creep Me Out. Sort of like Big Brother Watching, in reverse. And I'm sad little Winston Smith, who really objects to being monitored. At least you're not watching when I'm wearing raggy underwear! I thought Bloggy Land was all about Freedom. There's nothing Free about FEEDJIT. Looks to me like you're trapped in a cyber-prison of your own making. And who has the time to check the stats, anyway?

Plus, I just have to say...most of the time your FEEDJIT Feed is wrong. I've never even thought much about Detroit, much less visited there, but your Nifty New Electronic Tracking Device seems to think that's where this blog originates, on occasion. What power, progress?

Now let's talk widgets. You know, the leap-frogging, spazzy, zingy! things that prance & dance all over some people's sites. What's up with the widgets? I spent 10 minutes (no joke) trying to visit a blog the other day. I (seriously) had time to a) grab my lunch from the teacher fridge; b) hit the potty; c) help 3 kids with computer problems, & d) eat my sandwich before the page was even half-way loaded. I ended up X-ing it out. And yes, I was blogging on my lunchtime, thankyouverymuch. Please, Dear Friends: A spazzed-out blog does not good reading make! Didn't your High School English Teacher read you the Riot Act about Quality vs. Quantity?

There's a reason Faulkner didn't have any photos, much less widgets, in The Sound and the Fury. As Shakespeare might be wont to say, "Those widgets strut & fret more than an hour upon the bloggy stage. And then are heard no more: It is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing."


Blog Etiquette? Some have none! Mama raised her Baby to be polite, & By Golly, I'm determined to be that way in the Bloggy World, too! Isn't it just good manners to return comments? If I haven't returned one of your comments, please let me know. I will make amends right away. And to all you Lurkers out there...What Up With Dat, Yo? I'm in favor of a Bloggy Constitution that requires some kind of Blogiquette in Cyberspace. So, Sue Me!

Yup...Mama Didn't Raise No Fool. Going out on a limb here, but I really think writing might be my forté. And, unlike a few Bleeping Bloggers out there, I try to put at least a minimal amount of thought into what I post. Yes, I do sometimes tend toward the inane & occasionally random post, but for the most part, haven't the 282 missives I've deigned to hang up here since my Bloggy Epiphany last spring struck at least one chord with a couple of you? And I love it when people want to circulate my ideas, & even my words, as some of you do. But, please...Give credit where credit is due. It's only polite.

Last things last: A couple of you have wondered why I post every day. It's because I truly believe that I'm growing as a Superior Scribbler thru this cyber-medium. Others have asked why I don't stick to the script, & post about school, education, teachers' tips, ad nauseum, more often. Well, that's why The Scholastic Scribe contains Notes from Beyond the Underbelly of High School Journalism. Just read the Blog Header. I'm a teacher, yes. And also a scribbler. Can't I combine both in One Big Blast in the Bloggy Arena? I should hope so!

And why is Your Humble Scribe writing letters this week? Simply Because I Can. Didn't you hear? They're the latest "trend" in Blogification. I just had to get on the bandwagon.

In Blogs We Trust,
Mrs. Scribe

16 comments:

Lynda said...

And, we can't forget the give-aways! I am about burnt on them, too, but it doesn't always keep me from entering ;-)

Z's Mom said...

Wow.....I guess you had some things to get off your chest...I hope you feel better now. I don't like the slow loading blogs either....I hope I don't have one. I think the ones with ads are the slowest. I'd like to make money too....but I don't want my blog all crappy looking. That's just my 2 cents....

Veggie Mom said...

Well, giveaways are right up my alley, so I can't fault them. But I don't understand the tradition of e-mailing a comment instead of just commenting on the other person's post. Am I missing something here? Could someone please explain? I'm still new at this "janx," as you would say, Mrs. Scribe!

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

I'm new to blogging and even though I started it with the idea I'd write about education and teaching a lot, that doesn't happen so much.

I like the rants as tips though.

Tara said...

Hmm.. well, I agree with you on crazy widgets, pics everywhere and feedjit or whatever -- but I don't get the comment thing?

Are we supposed to email every person who leaves a comment, or comment after them to answer them, or comment on their blog every time they have commented on our blog or what?

The give-away one from Lynda, that is a really effective publicity tactic to draw in readers, so I can totally understand them.

LadyStyx said...

Quite a few points here I agree with and a couple I dont. Sometimes there's a reason for the lack of comment or the tracker gizmos.

Mister Teacher said...

2 things that I just had to comment on here...

1) Personally, I HATED The Sound and the Fury...

and 2) Sometimes I DO see you when you're in your raggedy underwear...

Susie said...

I guess not a lot bugs me about the blogosphere...except for music on blogs.

Columbia Lily said...

I love this!! Hope your first week back went well!

MammaDawg said...

omg - you are right on the money. I thought I was the only one that got creeped out with Feedjit. And even if I'm a WAHM, I refuse to visit the blogosphere without my mute button on. I've jumped out of my seat way too many times!

Amydeanne said...

widgets are dumb. there i said it lol

adlibby said...

Is there a blog of blog etiquette? I stumbled into this world last fall and I'm wildly addicted, but sometimes I fear that I'm not entirely informed. What is the proper etiquette for returning comments? Should I acknowledge each comment on my posts? Even if it's half a sentence? Do people really go back and see if their comment has been responded to? I read and comment like a mad woman -- there's so much to see out here! But I rarely go back to see if a blogger commented on my comment. (Except for this time -- I'm totally coming back here! Love your blog!)

HappyChyck said...

Interesting thoughts! I wonder, cuz that's what I do, if etiquette varies in different blogging circles? Of course, there's just manners, but for the most part, if people don't say mean things, I'm happy. Are there certain expectations one might need to meet to hang in certain circles? I lurk a variety of blogs and have noticed that there are some cliques out there...

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I have so many lurkers who send me emails, but never actually comment on my blog. The only time they come out of the woodwork is when they're really mad. So I agree with the "what's up with that" sentiment.

Kat said...

I think people blog for different reasons. I love all kinds of blogs, just like I enjoy all kinds of people. Some of them I find annoying from time to time, sure. I re-visit only the ones that I find interesting and want to keep up with. I do have a peeve, though - I don't like seeing anyone put down another blogger, or type of blog or blogger, on their blog. That sort of comes off as basically bad manners, I think.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

I don't care about those widgets that show where people are coming from either. I had one for awhile but tried to declutter my blog and took that one off (yes, I know I still have a lot). I know my blog takes a little time to load, certainly not THAT long, but I love pictures too, and yes, even video. Can't help it.

Congrats on your SITS day!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin