Friday, January 2, 2009

Candid Carrie=A Good Luck Fiesta

Playing along with Candid Carrie's Friday Foto Finish Fiesta today! Have y'all eaten your Black-Eyed Peas yet? We Southern Folk eat us a mess o' black-eyed peas & cornbread on the first of every year for good luck. We're supposed to eat collard greens, too, to bring wealth in the New Year, but no one in the Scribe Family, besides the Mrs., of course, can tolerate collards, so we skip that part of the tradition.

Don't quite know where this black-eyed-pea-eatin' got its start, but some say the Good Luck Tradition goes all the way back to Northern Africa, & was brought to the American South by the early slaves. Mrs. Scribe has had at least a tiny taste of black-eyes at the turn of each new year since she was a babe in her Mama's arms, and so have the kids, too. Mr. Fairway has been eating them once a year since he first took up with Your Humble Scribe, when the World Was Very Young.

Our recipe is simple, & has become quite Texas-fied over the years. Dump a bag of raw black-eyes in a pot and cover them with water. Let them soak overnite. Then, add two cans of Rotel...green chiles & diced tomatoes...a handful of cumin and chili powder, 4 cans of water, chopped onions, some garlic and some ham-hocks. Actually, any kind of pork will do, & some years we use chorizo-spicy Mexican sausage-in lieu of the ham-hocks. Then we just cook the hell out of 'em, on low heat...usually most of the day.

Definitely not Vegetarian Food, but this Poor Man's Feast sure is some Good Eatin'!

13 comments:

Lisa said...

We shook coins at midnight, kept rice at the door and a basket of fruit that was displayed that could not be touched until after the new year....lol
enjoy your new year

Clix said...

Our traditions were banging pots and pans at midnight, and pork and sauerkraut (usually with mashed potatoes) for the New Year.

Tara said...

Is sleeping off a wine hang-over considered a New Year's tradition? A tradition is something you do every year right?...

Z's Mom said...

That sounds pretty good. I don't believe I've ever eaten any black eyed peas....I'll see how this year goes....maybe I'll try some next year. I don't like collard greens either....but if it truly means wealth....I'll down some....

Lynda said...

Ah, yes, that's the tradition here in Texas - black-eyed peas, cornbread, greens (and/or cabbage)...Happy New Year!

Ritch in Love said...

I just learned about these traditions yesterday and I'm married to a Texan! I feel outta the loop! So hoping it would do some good to try it on the second day of the year I went out and bought cornbread mix and black eyed peas. Also we love collard greens but they are not common in UT. In fact I had them for the first time last year in FL. So those were not part of our lunch today.

BoufMom9 said...

I have never heard of that tradition.
Ours is to have pork and saurkraut. Not sure why, but it's why my family has been doing for generations :)

HappyChyck said...

Oh! Those are all good traditions! Sadly, we don't have any good traditions for the New Year in my family. Maybe I need to make one up!

Poetry in the Global Box said...

For good luck we eat lentals and sausage...and my mom still makes black eyed peas...You have a very interesting blog.

Susie said...

That looks REALLy Yummy:-)

dkzody said...

Just leave out those ham hocks and you got a vegan dish.

For the last few years I have been making berrocks for New Years. It has nothing to do with good luck, it just happens to be when I have enough time to do it.

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Hawaii is influenced by Asian culture - good luck equals things like noodles, mochi, and sashimi. i ate sashimi and noodles.....

Tulsi said...

I had never heard of the Black Eye'd Pea's thing until this year. A few blogs have mentioned them. I guess you can tell I've not really been to the South. New Orlean's for a week is as far and as long. Unless you count Washington DC which is a different South, I'm guessing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin