Monday, December 15, 2008

Why We Love You Tube

YouTube is approaching its 3rd anniversary. We adore the fact that it has spawned so much Spontaneity, Irreverance, Irrelevance & Uber-Creativity, aiming its darts at The Powers That Be in a Let Them Eat Cake! World.

Earlier this year, 200+ members of the ImprovEverywhere Troupe froze in place simultaneously for 5 minutes on the Main Concourse of NYC's Grand Central Station. Baffled Commuters~used to Being in Charge~& Tourists~who have that Sad Little Learning Curving, especially in The Big City~didn't know what to Make of this Mission.

"Frozen Grand Central" is considered one of the Top Viral Videos of 2008. YouTube has a Special Place in Your Humble Scribe's Heart. By Day, she battles the Evil Forces of YouTube at Our Humble High School, trying to thwart her students' efforts to "Tube" instead of Learn Their Lessons. After Hours, however, she Lusts after those whose creativity literally Knows No Bounds on the Net.

It's definitely a Love-Hate Relationship. Love is winning, BTW.

9 comments:

Veggie Mom said...

You Tube is pretty A-mazing, ain't it?

Sean Hogan said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSs6LkmwVs
We did that in a dining hall last year...ironically the one I work at now.

LadyStyx said...

That would have been interesting to see. My luck something like that would happen, I'd be in a rush to get somewhere, and I'd not have the time to enjoy it properly. No way would I have the patience to stand still like that for 5 whole minutes.

Lynda said...

I have seen this before - amazing!

Nancy Flanagan said...

Love your word choices: "sad little learning curve"--a meme for our post-ironic age.

And someday--perhaps--journalism teachers will embrace and embed citizen video journalism into their practice, and school technology coordinators will stop futilely trying to keep kids "safe" and will understand that the only way to prevent misuse of technology is to present hundreds of positive use models. Thousands. Hundreds of thousands. No filters, no limits.

Thanks again, BTW, for nominating me for an EduBlogger award. No matter what happens, I'll always have the cool badge. You rock, Melissa.

Susie said...

Pretty cool:-)

HappyChyck said...

I know what you mean about your love-hate relationship. I turn my nose up at the inane videos I hear the kids talking about but then I'll find myself some weekend surfing through the most mind-numbing stuff.
Sometimes I think I get a little dumber from watching. I need to find more inspired things...

I also spent a good couple of days working my way through http://improveverywhere.com/ I love this stuff!

Liberality said...

I've voted for ya!

Marrdy said...

I have to stay away from youtube. I get started watching and just cannot stop!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin