Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What's the Word Wednesday

Your Humble Scribe attempted to get somethin' goin', Word-Wise, a couple of weeks ago. Remember? We're supposed to post a word or phrase. That Stands Out. Somehow. And y'all are just supposed to discuss.

Events overcame & overtook Our Valiant Effort, so We're. Trying. Again. This week, yet another thoroughfare, named in the Oddest of Ways. It's in DC this time. We figured that with The New Prez moving out here & all, he and we should know what's what about Our Nation's Capital.

Here are This Week's Words to the Wise:

Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue

Obviously named after a person. But Who? And When? And Why? No Fare looking at Wikipedia! Just Meditate, Cogitate & Regurgitate a Charming Comment or 2. And, BTW, thanks for Your Support!


Stacey said...

Hmmm as a new resident of the DC area, I have to admit I've never heard of that street. I am just wondering if Nanny is actually part of her name? Is it an endearing term...Nanny Helen? Verrrry interesting indeed. I have no clue, and I have no choice but to Google her :)

MRMacrum said...

If I am not allowed to cheat, then what's the point?

I spent a major portion of my younger years growing up in and around DC. Given what I know or think I know about DC and it's odd ways, my first guess would be that Nannie was some advocate for some cause we all should appreciate. Her name might lead me to believe she is maybe a local advocate for local issues. Lord knows DC has enough problems to satisfy the needs of a million advocates. Since naming or renaming streets is more often than not done posthumously, my guess is she is also dead at the moment.

Mrs. Who said...

Well, the only Burroughs I know of is Edgar Rice Burroughs, author of "Tarzan" and some sci-fic books.

So, she must be his grandmother!

And they named the street after her is the grandmother of the guy who wrote "Tarzan".


LadyFi said...

Nannie Helen is obviously a big badger who burrows under the avenue. So watch out - she and her big family come out at night huntin' for food...

Lynda said...

I couldn't help it - I looked her up and I am glad I did :-)

Veggie Mom said...

Hmmmmmmmm....Nannie Helen Burroughs. I'm thinking it's an old-timey name for an old-timey gal? Someone's grandma, perhaps? You know, developers often name streets after family members. Just a guess!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin