Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Support Our Troops!

Yes, Your Humble Scribe is an English teacher. We Play With Words. Sometimes, that's like Playing With Matches.

Student A: He's not patriotic!
Mrs. Scribe: Why would you say something like that?
Student A: He's against our troops!
Student B: I'm against the war! I support the troops!
Mrs. Scribe: Are the 2 mutually exclusive?

That question usually brings a "Huh?" moment to a group of agitated, but perplexed, high-schoolers. The convo then comes to a stop, Real Quick. With so many kids at Our Humble High School from Military Families, tempers tend to run high, especially on Veterans Day. And no, we don't have today off. While you're home watching Meredith, Matt, Ann & Al, we're Toiling in the Salt Mines. Just Another day.

Or is it?

Always a good moment for a Journal Writing Assignment, right?

Sounds like a matter of semantics. But think about the statement, "I'm against the war." Nothing in that sentence says a thing about the Armed Forces.

Could Student B possibly be onto something here? Mrs. Scribe is an American. She Supports the Troops. Please remember that they're in Harm's Way when you think about them today.

11 comments:

storyteller said...

As a retired 8th grade English/History teacher … I salute you for raising the question and using this as a writing opportunity. The discussions that will undoubtedly follow are precisely the kinds of ongoing conversations needed in our county and the world in order to create a sustainable future. Often answers aren’t ‘either/or’ but ‘both/and’ … Thank you.
Hugs and blessings,

Lynda said...

Nice post and thanks to any veteran reading this today - I appreciate you!

Tara R. said...

That photo really grabs you. Thanks for the thought-provoking prompt. Excellent question.

Hippie Family... said...

All the radio stations here had the DVA on the radio saying to thank our vets.. I think that's a great idea for the day..
Just to be more thankful that there is not a be thankful for Polititions day.. not sure I have enough tomato's for that one!

Tulsi said...

I wonder if people know the kind of training those guarding the Tomb go through. It is very difficult and a year long duty. Every little thing must be perfect. They are amazing men. Being part of a military family, I believe that of all members of our Military, but I am in such awe when I see those who guard the Tomb.

Susie said...

What a great teaching point. Many people say that you can't support the troops if you don't support the war. It is like saying that their ultimate sacrafice is for the wrong reason. You have to believe in why they are there. I personally don't agree with that but, I haven't heard (or thought of) a counter-arguement to that point.

Columbia Lily said...

As a high school teacher in a pretty poor area, a high number of my students join the military because it is their only way of getting an education. As a pacifist, I do believe that war is never the right answer, but at the same time, I understand that my way of thinking is not everyone's way of thinking. And it is hard to look a Kurdish buy or an Afghani girl in the eye and say that it was not the right decision to remove their particular dictator from power when I know how very negatively that dictator affected their lives. I worry about the kids I've had in class who have joined, and dread the day I hear that one of them has died, but again, my way of thinking is my opinion, and by definition, not necessarily correct. Thanks for the idea on a writing prompt or discussion for tomorrow. (I'm one of the lucky ones who had today off)

Dawn said...

Great thought provoking post! And thank you to all of the veterans!

Marrdy said...

Great post. I have been wanting to write about something similar but have yet to get it typed out!

Gilahi said...

As an English teacher, wouldn't you say that the conversation comes to a stop "really quick"?

Gilahi said...

Sorry for the double comment, but after thinking about it, wouldn't the conversation come to a stop "really quickly"?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin