Saturday, November 1, 2008

An Ode to Getting Away

~With apologies to anyone, anywhere, who's tried to write poetry. Please forget, for a moment that Your Intrepid Scribe is an English Teacher. Thanks for your support!~
Mr. & Mrs. Scribe went to the beach.
At the end of the quarter,
she said, “We oughta”
take a hike to the Outer Banx
so The Scribes could engage
in some Relaxation Janx.

So after 4.5 hours, more or less;
the beach house,
was pretty quiet, like a mouse.
The Hubz turned on SportsCenter,
an activity upon which
Mrs. Scribe did not wish to enter.

So Your Humble Scribe headed
out to the beach.
The sand & waves well within reach.
She saw a lump, perhaps
a broken shell.
Shrugged her shoulders; said, “What the Hell.”

Turns out to be the best specimen
she’s ever seen, at least at this beach
where shells, more or less,
never bring out the screetch
that Mrs. Scribe emitted;
those nearby though she should be committed.

So the question Mrs. Scribe
would like to ask,
is “What is this shell?”
and she gives you the task
of ID-ing it, if you don’t mind
and congratulating her
on a Mighty Great Find!


Eudea-Mamia said...

Wow! I have no idea - but I'm seriously impressed. And this is a lady who grew up on Captiva Island vacations - hands down the best place to shell, but I've never scored one of those.

Love the poem too.


Veggie Mom said...

This is a mega-find, isn't it? I NEVER find stuff this neat on the beach. And, should perhaps share this poem with your English students. Whaddaya think?

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Even though I'm a mountain guy, this shell sure looks like a chambered nautilus to me.

MissKris said...

Dear Hubby was saying just the other day we need to go to the beach. Time has gotten away from us and we haven't been in 5 YEARS!! And it's only 100 MILES AWAY! Maybe in January...that's always been our favorite time to go. Stormy and cozy with fires in the fireplace. Can't beat it. Hope you're enjoying your time away.

MissKris said...

Ooooooops...or did I mis-read this and the "end of the quarter" was at another time?! Whenever, whatever, ha! I'm a great agate collector on our Pacific beaches out here...nothing more relaxing. Do you have them on the Atlantic, too?

Dawn said...

Great post! And I love the poem!

LadyFi said...

That is the great white curlicued shell of the Mighty Abalone Crab Monster...

Great pic! And poem...

Tara R. said...

The shell is absolutely gorgeous! Nice find.

Nina said...

That is a great find! Sorry no clue what the shell is but it is very pretty.

Your poem was really cute!

telecommutingtruths said...

Just found your blog. Love it!

JEliz said...

You should have asked me, your
SIL and sheller extraidinaire!
(though I have never found one like THIS) It is a paper nautilus.
And worth $160 or more if the conchking is right! Good job.

Lynda said...

It looks like a nautilus to me. I LOVE shells!

Tracy P. said...

No way! That is amazing. And I'm sure I have NO CLUE what it is--lucky you have a few better-schooled readers to help you out.

Deanna said...

I have no idea what it's official name, but it looks like God just reached down and swirled the waters and sand with His finger. That is the only way I can imagine anything that perfect and beautiful winding up on the beach.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin