Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's Debatable

OK, we're a tad tired of All This Debate Janx! Thank goodness the last one aired last nite. Now we can just sit back, relax, watch our hard-earned tax dollars slowly circle the drain & wait. Until November 4th. And for those of you who are thinking you're Sick to Death of The Whole Darn Thing, you desperately need to read Vicki's Post about Political Parties.

Remember, voting's not a Right. It's a Duty. And whomever you favor, you need to choose. Your Humble Scribe learned this lesson before she could walk. Or barely talk. We don't wanna hear you complain for the next 4 years if you didn't even bother to cast your ballot!

The year was 1960. You may have heard of this race. Kennedy vs. Nixon. Or, if you were on the other side of the fence, Nixon vs. Kennedy. At the time, The Scribe's Daddy was a Repub. Mama wasn't sure, but that first durn debate helped change her mind. As near as we can recollect, the convo went something along these lines:

"That Kennedy fellow sure is cute."
"June, what the man looks like doesn't mean he'd make a good leader."
"I'm just saying..."

OK, this was back When the World Was Very Young, and we were, too! Long before many of our Bloggy Buddies were even a glimmer in their own mamas' eyes. Fast forward a few weeks. Election Day evening.

Our older cousin, Doug, asked the first question, which got the ball rolling:

"Uncle Frank, you voted for Nixon, right?"
"Of course I did. So did your aunt."
Pause...a long, long, pause...
"Actually, Frank, I wanted to talk to you about that." She was dishing the mashed potatoes, fast and furious. Clump. Clump. Clump.
"About what, Mother?" Daddy always called Mama "Mother." Even though she wasn't...
"I voted today."
Pause...another long, long pause...
"Well, that Kennedy fellow is rather nice-looking, isn't he?"

The rest of the convo is but a smudge on Your Intrepid Scribe's rapidly fading memory. But we do remember it as the first time we'd ever heard our parents yell. At each other, that is.


Veggie Mom said...

Too funny! I think a few of my Gal Pals are gonna go on the looks thing this election cycle, too! You probably should clarify something in this post, really weren't old enough to remember the Kennedy-Nixon just read about them in history class, right? And that family story is one that you all tell every holiday, which is why it's so clear in your mind?

Sean Hogan said...

My vote is en route to Fairfax Government Center as we speak...maybe they'll mail me back an "I voted!!! (absentee)" sticker?

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

Swear to you, IF they had let me participate in that debate last night, I would have gotten up about 20 minutes into it and said "You two drive me NUTS!!! I'm gonna go watch Project Runway"

WHich is what I did. Because they do both drive me nuts.

Hey - what if we turn elections into a project runway kind of thing? Give them a challenge each week and have a panel of NORMAL AMERICANS judge them?? I like it!!! And I will be Heidi Klum and say "Mr. So-And-So, you're out. Auf Wiedersehen!"

Oh... I'm so gonna run with this.

Love the story about the 'rents... LOL!

jewelstreet said...

Fantastic post!

Lynda said...

I'm with Lizzy - it was Project Runway for me last night, too - yea, Leanne!

HappyChyck said...

OMG! That story is so precious! I really need to come around more often. You crack me up!

Vicki said...

Thanks for the shout out. We partied again last night and I won bingo again! I really listen well :)

Great story! There was some political talk growing up in my household, but not too much debate. Now all I do is yell at the tv.

I'm filling out my absentee ballot right now!

angie said...

Wow. Kinda nice to know that they were fighting over something important like politics! :)

Marrdy said...

Kennedy was one good looking guy! If I had been old enough I would have voted for him too. But I also voted both parties. Nixon, Jimmy Carter, Reagan even Clinton.
Republican, Democrat, Republican, who to vote for this year. Just kidding but I'm not telling.

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the post


Blog Widget by LinkWithin