Monday, October 6, 2008

BS?

Back in August, Your Humble Scribe received a comment on Her Little Old Blog that seemed suspect. A Blogger named Blogstalker, said he/she/it was Relatively New to this Blogging Janx and wanted to start a conversation.

BS first signed on--well, as Blogstalker, anyway--August 16, with a cryptic note that got 2 comments. "Everything has been changed to protect the innocent and shy! Leave a comment if you would like. Leave a link if you want me to check out your blog. Please keep it respectful. Your friend..." When we saw that missive we...well, we didn't return the comment.

Yes, as relatively new Bloggers Ourselves, we waited to see what would develop. BS commented on a few more of our posts. We finally broke the ice & "spoke" to BS August 24. BS had posted an entreaty to encourage comments: "Lets do a roll call shall we. Tell me where your from and the thing you most like about where you live. The weather, or your close to mom, or there's a bakery across the street that always smells oh so sweet." OK, so Punctuation & Spelling are not This Blogger's, shall we say, Strong Points. Your Intrepid Scribe did comment, and a "Bloggy Friendship" was born.

BS has always been a little bit of a curiosity to us. Where did this person come from? BS's blog's initial profile stated, "The Ukraine." Then, for a while after that, the profile said, "Virgin Islands," or some such tropical place. BS's blog no longer features a profile. The mystery deepens.

So, why would Your Humble Scribe deign to Scribble today about this Mystery Persona? Because she/it/he was pretty aggressive, in a Bloggy Sorta Way. Because it/he/she tried to Collect Bloggy Friends, & was mighty successful, we might add. And pretty funny. Also, entertaining, to boot.

Blogstalker even awarded The Scribe some Bloggy Bling. On September 18, two days before BS disappeared from The Bloggy Universe, we received The Arte y Pico Award, for being "creative & interesting."

But now BS is gone. For 2 weeks & 2 days, not a peep from that part of Cyberspace. BS's last post, on September 20, was a list of Movie Trivia. The BS Blogger has 35 comments on that post, which range from cryptic analysis of the post itself, to later posts, wondering Where the Heck BS has Gone.

Which leads us to question this Particular Blogging Janx. We have a few theories, & would love to speak with some of BS's Bloggy Friends to share guesses. To wit:
  • Was Blogstalker just a massive joke, to see how many "friends" BS could make?
  • Perhaps part of a Master's or PhD thesis, to study the Art of Blogging?
  • Did BS become disallusioned, frustrated, angry with The Blogosphere, & just decide to Blog Off?
  • Was BS's acronymn just that--a Crock?
  • Is this a HuMONgous joke, perpetrated by a Clever Puppeteer, to show us how Silly Cyberspace really is?
  • Will we ever know the answer?
  • Do we really care?

Yes, we've dedicated an awful lot of Time & Energy today to the Trials & Tribulations of One Little Member of the Blogosphere. Well, BS has been the proverbial Burr Under Our Saddle for the last 2+ weeks. But Your Intrepid Scribe is, well, Intrepid, after all! We know you want to know, too. BS posted 21 times, had 1,513 visitors from 46 countries (as of this writing), garnered 13 followers, & a Blog Roll of 25 "friends." That's a whole Heckuva Lotta Action in 3 Measley Weeks!

Do you have any Thoughts on the Subject? Do you Even Care? Is this kind of behavior Par for the Course in Bloggy Land? Are we just Spittin' in the Wind? Is this what Blogging Really Means--to post 21 little ol' dissertations, Hoodwink a Whole Herd o' Folks, & then just disappear into Cyberspace? As Blogstalker would say: "Put your brave face on and go for it." We'd like to know What You Think!

29 comments:

Brenda Jean said...

Hmmmm...a blog mystery. How fascinating!

angie said...

Oops........I hadn't even realized Blogstalker had disappeared until you mentioned it today. I had no idea he/she/it had so much activity in such a short period of time. WOW. I was thinking the other day though that he/she/it said at one point that he/she/it was in Johannesburg.......

I love your theories and am thinking you've hit the nail on the head with one of them.....I'm just not sure which. :)

If you solve the mystery, PLEASE let me know!

Tulsi said...

I think Blogstalker is a mom. Kids have been mentioned, along with field trip information.

One of the last posts asked if she spent to much time blogging. That could have been a lead up to the end, or reflection. I think that is a long time to reflect.

I went to my son's Basic Training Graduation on Sept. 16. I missed the trivia post. But she was gone when I got home. This is indeed, a mystery.

Ronda's Rants said...

Well, I love Blogstalker and I miss him /her! I think that real world had demands and that took priority.
Either way...fact or fiction...it was great fun while it lasted!

Deb said...

I've had a few comments from BS myself, but never really invested the time to get to "know" him/her/it. So I have nothing to offer regarding the mystery. Maybe he/it/she has just been busy. I read some other bloggers that go for weeks, even months without blogging. Then they just come back to it. Life gets kinda hectic sometimes - not for me though, I'm unemployed and bored as hell (lol).

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

I honestly don't know.
I'm pretty new to blogging myself
(this past May).

Thank you for your comment on Sharing Popcorn with God on Whose
Role...He's in the same class as Marlon Brando and the Golden actors
in my humble opinion.

Have a wonderful day! Petra :))

Summer said...

I agree with Tulsi. I think Blogstalker is a mom. I did feel bad that I never posted the awards she or, it, gave me. I just didn't know where to put them. And I didn't return the bloggy love, like I should have. Maybe I'm not the only one. Maybe Blogstalker was sick of doing all the stalking. Maybe she just realized she wasn't getting a lot out of her efforts but a bunch of useless information about other people's lives that she'll never meet. Maybe we weren't entertaining enough. Maybe she got offended. Maybe she died. Or maybe she's wondering if anyone would notice she left.

Jen said...

This is so funny that you mention this. Just the other day, I saw a few visits from the BS site to my site this weekend.
Maybe BS is just stalking like they said. I figure with a name like that they just wanted to look and not comment. My rule, if you want me to come to your site them comment. If you share then so will I.
It is interesting though with those sats, it really makes you think, what happened?

Bilbo said...

I've had 7 comments from Blogstalker since August 18th, and the most recent was on September 17th, with nothing since then. He/she left some interesting comments, and is linked to my blog. It may be that he/she is just taking a break (as some of us do sometimes)...I'm sure he/she will be back and solve the mystery for you.

Rhonda said...

Hmmm. I guess I missed the one where she asked for info on people's locations. Interesting and a little frightening.

I quite liked BS's views on a lot of things, and wherever she is, I hope she finds time to come back and post again.

I'm sure she'll get a kick out of this post. And WOW! I would love to have a blogroll like that after only a few short weeks! Well done!

:)

RhondaLue said...

I agree that BS probably just got busy (though I think it's funny that the abbreviated name is "BS" hehe)

But I disagree on the other thing..I think its a man. The music selection is wayyy more dude-friendly and all those movie lines? Maybe it's just me but I don't know that many women movie buffs.

I'm sure he'll be back soon. And yah..I wish I had that many commenters on my blog!

Ronnica said...

The Blogstalker is an invention of the (insert the politcal party that least aligns with your political ideals here) Party designed to destract and divert attention from politics in the hopes that you'll get so worked up over the Blogstalker's absence that you'll forget to vote for their opponent.

RhondaLue said...

LOL @ Ronnica!

p.s. I just saw that he has a newish post but it's UNDER the movia trivia one for some reason. strange.

Veggie Mom said...

OK...so now I'm really creeped out. Although I went over to BS's site a little while ago, and it looks like it's "under rennovation." I think we'll have some questions to ask about why she/it/he dropped off the face of the earth so suddenly!

Jenny S said...

I love a good mystery. I just only joined as a fallower a short few weeks ago. Had noticed that there seemed to be a lack of posting going on. Maybe he/she is waiting to see if we miss he/she.

Mother Goose said...

i think BS is you!

Dawn said...

Personally, I was always a bit suspicious of BS and am pretty certain it was a woman wanting to appear to be a man and stir up controversy, but can't figure out why. I also figured it was a "regular" one of the bloggers in the circle of friends we travel in just because of how fast he/she jumped in and was posting comments like an old pro. It took me awhile to build up to finding that many bloggers.

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

I think he/she is designing a new way to get back on the blogasphere HA! and has came up with a new id to blog under their true self... who knows but I will keep my eyes peeled ...

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blog Stalker said...

Okay, so You have caused me to climb out from under the rock of which I was hiding.

I assure you I am not playing any games. I think I explain things okay in my new post. Come on over and check it out.

I needed a little nudge and this post seems to have done it.

Thanks, And have a great day!

EmmaP said...

I did send BS a message telling her (ok - I realize it could be a man - but in my mind, BS is a "she")that I hoped she was ok. I worried - yes I actually worried - that perhaps the non-bloggers in "her" household made her feelguilt over the time she spent stalking blogs that she gave it up all together - or worse. Perhaps "she" had some sort of tragedy??? Maybe she trespassed during one of her "stalks" and was incarcerated??? well - I AM glad that today I have received some BS bloggy love on my comment board. I am so glad you're back, BS!!! Order may now be restored to the universe!!! It's true what they say - you don't know how much someone means to you until they are gone...sniffle, sniffle.

EREBUS said...

I thought he was a kid who got busted by his parents for doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.

I just commented as such on his return post.

illahee said...

i have never heard of the blogstalker. hmmmm

thanks for visiting my blog via BATW!

Mister Teacher said...

I suggest that BlogStalker was killed by Professor Plum, in the Conservatory, with the Lead Pipe.

Debbie said...

You weren't kidding about all the excitement going on over here! I agree with what someone else said, Are you the Blog Stalker??

I did go over and check out the latest post from it.she.he. I fully understand blogcations. I have taken two myself...and I have to say the Blogstalker does intrigue me. She he it wanted to sign up on BATW but had no location. I almost considered it then I thought others would want to do the same so I didn't. HMMM. Maybe he, she, it needs to guest blog for me.....veddy veddy interesting....

Mike said...

I think blogstalker is female. Why? Because her number one priority is family. If blogstalker was a guy it would be beer.

Melissa B. said...

No, y'all. The Intrepid Scribe is Melissa B. That would be moi. No Blog-Stalkin' goin' on around these here parts! Don't know the BS and never met him/her/it. I conducted an investigation, is all, just 'cause I was curious...you know, 'cause I'm a Scribe?

dkzody said...

Ok, scribe, you win...you made me look. Funny thing, though, when I went to blogstalker, she was back and talking about YOU. You are such a devilish muse with your sneaky methods to get more people to your site! I love it. What's next on your fiendish agenda?

sogratefultobemormon.wordpress.com said...

i got a kick out of your guesses :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin